Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXVI: Melancholy (12/1)  (Read 42998 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXIV: Sunlight (6/17)
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »

I'm so glad this thing is still running. Won't the goblins resurrect and come back to kill you again tho?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:13 am »

They may!

Ablel already took out a corpse or two while dispatching the invaders, but it remains to be seen what else will rise again.

bcmpinc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:34 am »

I found this story a few days ago and just finished reading. It is fun to read, especially the epic battle that followed Burthek's mistake, and also educative. I'm now using grates much more often. I wonder what you're going to do with the clowns in cavern 2. Encasing them in obsidian is a particularly effective and safe method to get rid of them, though you might consider it cheating.

I've tried embarking in an Evil biome once. What I learned was that a butcher's shop should always be accompanied by a tanner, tanning the hide prevents it from reanimating, and a farmer's workshop, to spin the hair or wool, which can also reanimate. I believe that these are the only 2 products of butchering that can reanimate, so while processing them is still risky, you should be safe once finished. So when you butchered the pig in part 14, you could have tanned the hide which would have saved Zulgar's life when she asked for leather and bones. On the other hand, it could also have resulted in the death of your tanner.

The mysterious cave-in and dust cloud trees are the result of a bug that causes trees to collapse occasionally. It has been fixed in v0.40.15. Another quirk of dwarf fortress is that your dwarves can only construct a wall if they have a path to a tile adjacent to it. Hence Burthek was never able to build this wall. What also might be useful to know is that you can carve fortifications out of constructed walls. However, be aware that creatures can jump through fortifications. I didn't know that creatures can climb, but apparently they can, which is why the undead got out of the trap. However, they can only climb non-smoothed walls, so if you can manage to smooth out the left side of the pit, you should be able to repair the trap (assuming you did not use constructed walls there).

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:10 pm »

Truly horrifying.
Abel smashed in a few skulls, would that have prevented them from rising, or would they come back anyway until getting properly pulped?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »

Only a proper pulping should prevent reanimation.  Brain tearing, no; "head explodes into gore," yes.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 09, 2015, 10:33:05 pm »

These updates are so good.  For me, this fortress and Doomforests are tied for best fortress of v0.40.

I realize this has been asked before, but the fortress seems to be winding down, so can you post a save now?
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXV: Topside (8/31)
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2015, 04:26:04 pm »

25th part is out! http://imgur.com/a/niELW

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2015, 05:03:47 pm »

Damn that raven head! Can you send that macelord who just had a baby after it? A mace ought to be able to pulp the head. If not, maybe the baby can be wielded to better effect? ;)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »

Ah, ive missed this fortress. Glad to see you are still playing.

Short term survival put aside, what are your aspirations for this fortress, if you have any? Total conquest of the undead, a daunting stucture, some feats of engineering?

Thats something i find intriguing. What are playera secretly envisioning for their fortress as they go through the day to day tasks of staying alive and dealing with problems.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2015, 05:41:20 am »

Damn that raven head! Can you send that macelord who just had a baby after it? A mace ought to be able to pulp the head. If not, maybe the baby can be wielded to better effect? ;)
There is a macelord/macedwarf in every squad, so the head has been smashed around by blunt weapons quite a bit at this point. For whatever reason it won't pulp though.

Ah, ive missed this fortress. Glad to see you are still playing.

Short term survival put aside, what are your aspirations for this fortress, if you have any? Total conquest of the undead, a daunting stucture, some feats of engineering?

Thats something i find intriguing. What are playera secretly envisioning for their fortress as they go through the day to day tasks of staying alive and dealing with problems.

The closest thing to a plan beyond survival is keeping the demonic horde from spiraling out of control.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:10 am »

Once you establish a more secure perimeter, you should should war with the Elves, then capture all the resulting corpses to create an army of zombie Elves.   Step 3.... profit?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:27 pm »

the raven head must have been mid-flight from being kicked around when you were trying to view it's stats, so it was in projectile mode and wasn't technically a creature

also, epic! ptw

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2015, 03:29:38 pm »

the raven head must have been mid-flight from being kicked around when you were trying to view it's stats, so it was in projectile mode and wasn't technically a creature

also, epic! ptw

Fascinating! That makes a lot of sense. It's nice to have that little mystery cleared up.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXVI: Melancholy (12/1)
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2015, 08:37:30 pm »

And there's a new update! If you're not enjoying the new DF release... try this on for size: http://imgur.com/a/h1B0z

Edit: as a special bonus here's the save file:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11313
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:46:55 pm by Slogo »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXVI: Melancholy (12/1)
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2015, 10:53:58 pm »

Thank you so much. This us one of my favorite ongoing saga, Im glad to see it continue.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16