Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a tool for mass dwarf renaming?  (Read 1981 times)

sisso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a tool for mass dwarf renaming?
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:00:32 am »

I would like to create a text file with a list of know names where I can import into the game and mass rename all my dwarves. I hate to write one of time each new game and have a bad memory for dwarf/english names.

If no tool was available, I was think about a copy paste into dfhack console (if I found how to rename by its index like) or a therapist plugin.

[]s,
Sisso

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a tool for mass dwarf renaming?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:20:01 am »

I didn't know you can rename dwarfs.

Nicknames can be mass set w dwarf therapist but... The nickname is the same for each dwarf.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:43:08 am »

I think sisso is looking for a DFHack command line that would apply a nickname to a Dwarf, and seven of those could just be put in a short script.

The problem is that the unit IDs of the Dwarves will be different in each game.  I'm sure there's some way to iterate over all of the units in the embark site and do something to the DWARF ones, but it won't be straightforward.

A decent middle ground would be a command line that nicknames the DWARF under the cursor, and sisso can make that into seven different scripts if he or she really wants to.

It is a bit annoying that copy-paste doesn't work in the DFHack screen.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

sisso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:20:48 pm »

I didn't know you can rename dwarfs.

Sorry, I was talking about nicknames :P

I think sisso is looking for a DFHack command line that would apply a nickname to a Dwarf, and seven of those could just be put in a short script.

The problem is that the unit IDs of the Dwarves will be different in each game.  I'm sure there's some way to iterate over all of the units in the embark site and do something to the DWARF ones, but it won't be straightforward.

A decent middle ground would be a command line that nicknames the DWARF under the cursor, and sisso can make that into seven different scripts if he or she really wants to.

It is a bit annoying that copy-paste doesn't work in the DFHack screen.

I am starting to conclude that a change in therapist could be the easy path. It already have the code to list all dwarfs and change nickname functionality. I will add a issue there to take some info and post here if I have any success.

Thanks.