Yes !
- 3 (37.5%)
OK with custom ports
- 4 (50%)
it would need 1 wrapping
- 0 (0%)
it would need 2 wrappings
- 0 (0%)
No, and it would look too wierd with wrapping.
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 02, 2014, 04:59:26 pm

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.06: The dead are watching ...  (Read 57109 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.06: The dead are watching ...
« Reply #795 on: September 26, 2014, 08:05:35 pm »

I would love to hear a Fomorian post-mortem on the game. I haven't played them in MP yet but they're one of my favourite nations in EA. Based on the battle and looking over the map I'm guessing you didn't recruit many (any?) nemedians. Do you think they're no good or did you simply go with a build that's not suited for them. You'd probably want to take some production at the expense of a bless if you're going to get the nemedian troops, and you seemed to have shelled out for a decent bless. And what about Fomorian Kings, do you think you got enough mileage out of them to justify the fact that you could have had twice as many sorceresses?

Also your cap seemed to have a ton of Fomorian Druids on research duty with quills. I would imagine that Fir Bolg would be far more cost-effective, but I guess they were part researchers, part garrison in case the squid decided to land near there. I know I'd rather pick Fomorians any day of the week over Fir Bolg when it comes to battle casting.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 26, 2014, 08:52:00 pm »

Based on the battle and looking over the map I'm guessing you didn't recruit many (any?) nemedians. Do you think they're no good or did you simply go with a build that's not suited for them. You'd probably want to take some production at the expense of a bless if you're going to get the nemedian troops, and you seemed to have shelled out for a decent bless. And what about Fomorian Kings, do you think you got enough mileage out of them to justify the fact that you could have had twice as many sorceresses?
That's actually something that I would've liked to do more of - make more nemedians - the warriors, at least. Mostly because they play very well with unmarked, filling up empty space in the square while markedly increasing the overall offense/defense of that square over just a regular fir bolg (which I also didn't make enough of). Instead I was using mostly undead chaff - which works, but isn't great.

9N4E, 1Prod, 1 Cold, 2 Luck, 1 Magic. I could perhaps have gone with 1 less luck and 1 more production to help produce my cap-only troops; since even though I started in a forest next to two other forests, for a respectable 203 resources, that's still only enough to build 7 unmarked a turn, without anything left over for nemedians, and only a single fir bolg.

So, Kings pro: big bags of HPs, can go underwater, sacred, an extra 1 air (over the nemedians) then +1AWD and 10% AWD. The fact that the nemedians' extra +1 and 10% are both AWDN spreads them out a little too thin, I found. I was mostly looking for big air power to fuel thunder strikes, living clouds, fog warriors, phantasmal armies, and I was more likely to get that with the kings. In the end, it really came down to the HPs/sacred status, since I needed mages that wouldn't melt under Abysian firestorms, and the Kings could regenerate without any extra equipment.

Also your cap seemed to have a ton of Fomorian Druids on research duty with quills. I would imagine that Fir Bolg would be far more cost-effective, but I guess they were part researchers, part garrison in case the squid decided to land near there. I know I'd rather pick Fomorians any day of the week over Fir Bolg when it comes to battle casting.
It's actually close, since the druids are sacred. And yeah, I'd rather have the druids as backup battlemages any day over the Fir Bolg. Only exception - it's worth picking them up until you get an earth random, so he can search for more sites - didn't want to waste my pretender's time looking for earth gem income.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:57:51 pm by AlStar »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 27, 2014, 02:49:25 am »

O.K.I'm going to kill the game in a few hours then. If somebody wants to fight one last battle, give me a shout.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:31 pm »

Did someone win or did you all get tired of fighting? Were there too many thrones needed to win, or...?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 28, 2014, 02:55:23 am »

Sailor mod disconnetced the landmasses from each other, which shut down a lot of player interaction.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 28, 2014, 04:00:32 am »

Welp,
I though it would have increased the possiblities (letting you attack where you want instead of in pre-selected provinces), but in fact it prevented cheap scouting (as you would need to put waterbreathing on your scout, and making him spend turns in the ocean), so it prevented most of the interactions. :/

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 28, 2014, 06:44:36 am »

Not to mention getting flying or waterbreathing on all of your mages as well, since there's no way to wage an effective war without them. Unless you go for a mass of thugs, I suppose.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:12 am »

Actually, I had a pretty good setup for invading the South. A SC Rudra was to cloud trapeze into an astral window-scouted province next to(or if unfortified, in) a throne province. The next turn a Wizard Tower would appear(I could cast one every turn), while the Rudra built a lab. This would allow an army of guhyakas to gate itself there together with whatever support I felt like teleporting. The army can then storm the throne-fort next door, or fight off the invaders, while the Rudra goes for the next throne in line.

I actually started doing just that with Ragnoff's Ulm, but he turned out to be much better prepared than I thought he'd be, so the invasion stalled after capturing one throne. If not for the bug preventing item casting during sieges, I'd be capturing another one this final turn(the one in ex-Machaka) with the same strategy.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 28, 2014, 08:20:18 am »

I'll post the graphs later on, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]