Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Reassembly: 2D Shape based space ship combat simulator  (Read 33607 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reassembly: 2D Shape based space ship combat simulator
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 04:44:05 pm »

If it's not multiplayer, I'm not interested.
If this is multiplayer, though.

hoolllllllllllly shit

IndieVoyage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 01:03:46 am »

Multiplayer isn't really something that strikes me as necessary for this game. Nice to have to be sure, but I'm more interested in what unique things the game is going to do on its own in a single player experience personally.

Yeah that's what we want to focus on as well up till release. We think the singleplayer is unique and compelling and want to make sure it can stand on its own.

If it's not multiplayer, I'm not interested.
If this is multiplayer, though.

hoolllllllllllly shit

Well, we are sort of having multiplayer. Just asynchronous. We are streaming our second ever public test of it this Sunday at 3PM PST on twitch.tv/manylegged if anyone is interested. Going to be just alpha tester ships for now, but we are hoping to expand that for our third test the following Sunday.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »

Backed, looks really cool.

Would love to tune in tomorrow, hope I get the chance.

IndieVoyage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 06:45:51 pm »

If any of you are curious what the asynchronous multiplayer looks like right now, here is a recording of our latest tournament.

Sorry for the poor audio quality, we were doing a twitch stream and the developer was talking over the game with a mic that was picking up background noise.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 06:17:23 pm »

Well I've finally got to backing this thing...

Only 57% so far... I'm hoping it gets another big boost soon.

I do notice some people have gotten alpha access here and there... I'm kinda wondering how if it's possible for me to get it... I want my liquid awesome dammit! 0P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:54 pm »

Are you able to restructure the AI, or are all ships using the same AI?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »

Reminds me (fondly) of forum games I've seen before.
But really I don't see why this needs a kickstarter. The game already more or less exists, and if all of those in-engine clips are anything to go by, it's hardly unfinished either.

I guess perfectionism is one of those things you only feel when it's your own thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 06:00:31 am »

Reminds me (fondly) of forum games I've seen before.
But really I don't see why this needs a kickstarter. The game already more or less exists, and if all of those in-engine clips are anything to go by, it's hardly unfinished either.

I guess perfectionism is one of those things you only feel when it's your own thing.
The dev already posted about that IIRC. Having a game is one thing, actually polishing and releasing ot with all the legal and pr things and such is another.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 02:33:21 pm »

Looks like Everyone can start playing around with a ship builder that just got released...

http://www.anisopteragames.com/development-log/

Presumably you can pit anything you make up against ships from the recent tournament.

I'll probably get around to downloading it myself after I'm done watching a stream recording.

IndieVoyage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »

I do notice some people have gotten alpha access here and there... I'm kinda wondering how if it's possible for me to get it... I want my liquid awesome dammit! 0P

Alpha access is closed for now, but we hope the ship editor will quench your thirst for liquid awesome. :D The early access beta will be available pretty soon after the Kickstarter ends as well.

Are you able to restructure the AI, or are all ships using the same AI?

For the singleplayer each faction has their own AI variants. For the tournament it is standardized. We are thinking about adding some level of control over AI as a way to further customize ships for the tournament, but no promises.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »

Neeaat.

It seems not every part is on the palette though? Seen some ships with weapons I can't find on here, and some that spawn smaller ships.
That'd probably be the drones, you can use them. They're pretty good for drawing fire.

As for the demo, I think it's really great. The way the AI adapts is mostly excellent, though it does have some problems with running away correctly. Sometimes even if all the guns are blown off it will stop 'manoeuvring' and sit still for a second, which is long enough to get caught and shot at some more.
And would I be correct in thinking that the ships are grouped into what are effectively weight classes by the number of points used on them? Seems like I modified one design by only a small amount but was suddenly against much stronger opponents, probably because of crossing the boundary to the next class up.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »

And would I be correct in thinking that the ships are grouped into what are effectively weight classes by the number of points used on them? Seems like I modified one design by only a small amount but was suddenly against much stronger opponents, probably because of crossing the boundary to the next class up.
Yes.
http://www.anisopteragames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=124&sid=79b8cc8c3270ca96d13eb4d5a1f7ecf4

Standard (anything goes):
Probe - Any design of 250P or less.
Interceptor - Any design of 1000P or less.
Cruiser - Any design of 3000P or less.
Dreadnought - Any design of 6000P or less.

I presume the same classes are used in the shipbuilder.

If I have any complain about the ship builder, it is that the parts palette is based off the ships loaded in on the fleet menu, what those ships can use is what you'll have available, up to the limit of slots for the parts palette
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:09:16 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

IndieVoyage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 09:57:47 pm »

Neeaat.

It seems not every part is on the palette though? Seen some ships with weapons I can't find on here, and some that spawn smaller ships.

Yeah unfortunately we didn't come up with a good way to handle that. In the full game you can unlock the parts you want to use, and then select a certain number of them for the active palette. Since this is basically just the ship editor portion of the game with everything else removed we made the active palette randomized for each save file. It isn't perfect, but hopefully it isn't too annoying either.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:27 pm »

Yeah unfortunately we didn't come up with a good way to handle that. In the full game you can unlock the parts you want to use, and then select a certain number of them for the active palette. Since this is basically just the ship editor portion of the game with everything else removed we made the active palette randomized for each save file. It isn't perfect, but hopefully it isn't too annoying either.
It sadly is very annoying. It is incredibly hard to get point defense, which means having the ability to make a well rounded and effective craft is on a dice roll, let alone being able to get said point defense with the weapons you want besides super common ones like plasma of all varieties.

IndieVoyage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 10:31:09 pm »

For the tournament point defense isn't actually as important I think.

In the single player you often deal with large swarms of smaller ships and missiles where point defense is important, but in the tournament I think you can get by without it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13