Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Melee Combat  (Read 29736 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Combat
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 11:46:49 pm »

The article mentions the fighting styles where the use of a long weapon in one hand and short in the off hand were used in real combat. However most were either duelling styles for one on one combat, or martial arts where improvised farming tools were being used for weapons when real weapons were banned.

The reason for this is explained in the video I posted above. In real warfare against an opposing force, a shield is simply more practical for one reason: ranged weapons. A good wooden shield will block an arrow or bolt from hitting you in the face, something two weapon fighters simply can't do. If you're a noble walking around town, it's not practical to carry a large shield with you since it's big and heavy. Instead you might carry a dagger or shortsword to parry your opponent while you strike with your main weapon. But if you're a soldier on the battlefield you want a big lump of wood to put between yourself and the enemy's crossbowmen.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 11:49:57 pm »

You can only effectively swing one weapon at a time because physics

No. Just...no.

Here's a entire youtube folder full of chinese double broadsword. Most of it's flashy demo stuff, but..."physics prevents it" ...no. Just, you're wrong. I'm sorry. And since in most of those videos they're going so fast you can't really see what's going on, here's a slow tai chi version of similar techniques.

European parrying daggers were used with a sword. The Japanese paired longsword/shortsword. Roman retarius gladiators fought with net and trident. There are lots of examples.

carrying two identical weapons is a waste of time.

...wait, who said anything about identical weapons?

Even so, there are lots of weapons that are routinely used in "identical" pairs. Sai, kama, tonfa, eskrima sticks off the top of my head. Or here you go, here's a four minute long butterfly sword demo.

The only times dual wielding has been effective in real life, outside of a few martial arts-ish things meant for civilian use, is when the two weapons are different.  And the VAST majority of that is weapon+shield, a tried and true combination that has worked for most of human history.

...so you're discounting civilian use, you're discounting "martial arts" weapons and you're discounting any case of paired weapons that were mismatched weapons? Sounds like what you really mean isn't dual wielding is impractical "because physics"...but rather "duel wielding of identical paired weapons did not see medeivil european feudal/military use for a variety of reasons, some of which related to training time and economics."

Very different statements.

In the context of this thread, somebody wanting to spar with friends, bringing up historical trends in a specific part of the world isn't very relevant. I've personally sparred against dual weapon wielders. It's entirely viable. For example, here's an SCA heavy weapons florentine vs shield session.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:21:22 am by LordBucket »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 12:09:15 am »

Currently I am trying to learn how to use Escrima sticks (philipeno combat baton type things that are duel wielded) I'm using this to learn dual wielding because that is one of my worst skills
* Tiruin cheers to the high heavens. She feels national pride due to cultural upbringing.
Also its ESKRIMA D:< [well, here, it is spelled that way...notably because we DON'T have 'c' in our language, but 'K'.
...A,b,k,d,e-... :P]
And FILIPINO.
We are not spelled like Philipino (in that manner) just because our country is the Philippines :P [Well, nationality anyway]

Well for the Japanese and a few other Asian cultures dual wielding was used because shields were... well... out of the question.

In the place I cannot remember they dual wielded wooden sticks because of a weapon ban.

In Japan's case saying "Dual wielded" is somewhat of an exaggeration because you GENERALLY didn't attack with your shield sword... it was considerably shorter then the one you used for hitting people with.
Eh? Not really :V
Shields were used in many 'Asian cultures' due to their utility. In our place, shields were emphasized as a tool along with either the spear or the curved knife/sword.

They aren't combat technique videos, but Lindybeige on youtube knows quite a bit about melee weapons.
I would call that a gross simplification. Though yes, it generally more difficult for an untrained fighter to pick up a pair of weapons and do very well with them, if that's what you mean. Also, be careful with shields. They create a massive blindspot that can hinder you as much as help.

No it physically doesn't work.  You can only effectively swing one weapon at a time because physics, so carrying two identical weapons is a waste of time.  Especially since the effort of carrying a second weapon could be better spent on armor, rations or ammo.
Mate, excuse my bout of euphoria but I'll have to step hard on your [statement] there figuratively :3
You, are wrong. Study the details thoroughly before discarding a manner of operation.

I've read and saw a lot of Eskrima here and nay, 'dual-wielding' as y'all call it is very muchly possible. Though I haven't personally studied it myself, I've got friends who do so (and I seriously would love to practice it if not for financial limitations :I)
My wording is a bit messy here. Apologies if it may come off as bad-sounding.

Hmm, let me get a nice linkie for you non-Filipinos out there.
Linkie for Cryxis. I've no idea where or who the original video uploader is due to what seems to be multiple instances of the video on youtube though ._. Found the one with at most a 360p. Do note the IPMAF carries symbols on the logo written in Baybayin. :P

Though...I'm unsure as to what kinds of combat technique videos you're looking for. Demonstrations such as these may not be fully understood by observers who do not know the art in itself as a foundation (also the videos I'm linking here aren't...more made to teach but to show, unless you could say teach-by-watching if you grasped the concepts thoroughly but forgot(?) for...err, yeah. [They do have teaching factors in them. Not saying they don't. Emphasis on the second link. I am unable to find others due to net constraints.]). Eskrima is a term with a lot of details within it. It combines both footwork, handwork, eye coordination and kinesics. Quick movements are emphasized but with the underlying idea beneath how to perform such being a technique [or...rhythm]. Here, the emphasis has parrying--but not at the weapon. You strike at the hands [the wrists]; it is a fighting style which moves to disable before striking, in an observer's eye :v. I'll leave the remaining details for personal research. You will note that the art of the weapon will also have terms tied to the origin of the weapon--so expect...spanish terms in Eskrima. What I say here will be very broad.

Now, Cryxis, I firstly advise to train unarmed [emptyhand//empty handed], then move to one-handed styles until you know what you're doing (emphasis on unarmed.) Leave two-handed fighting out of the question until you get proficient with one-handed fighting--that's a basic concept in Eskrima. Training with the rattan sticks would also emphasize handed-ness. The concept that, yeah, you can be ambidextrous in the manner of wielding and using items proficiently in both hands (also a note in psychology, early to late development of motor control? I may be rambling here.)
Next, there's...quite  alot of videos or demonstrations floating around regarding the matter there in the net, and also many other online sites with information about it (though they aren't that good compared to hands-on tutoring or training...). You cannot be proficient without knowing the subtle mannerisms in how they work--grip, stance, style, form. If it would do you well, go research or read up or look in your locality or nearby areas for any practitioners of the art for more information. Because you will be very sorely pressed if you'll just 'learn by free videos'. It lacks the hands-on learning derived from both being there, seeing, and practicing with an instructor.

Disclaimer: From a friend [non Filipino] who told me from observation, If you're going to watch the Filipino vids, do note that we're...more action oriented [ie We'll describe by doing the action and saying 'like this//see', more direct to the point but less describing of how it is done unless the video directly states that its an instruction vid.] :P Also include occasional parts of 'you know' and other notes like that, along with witty humor in demonstrating.

PS: Don't underestimate weapons. Another link for reference.
It's quite hard(?)...different pointing at links based on what you know and stating them as evidence :/
And more links! This time with basic ideologies.

And another, this time demonstrating an older form of Eskrima. Though the instructors use local terms here, they refer to the person [similar to uncle or...brother, but emphasis on respect].

Also before all else, I've no idea what LARP is there or on how you conduct combat, so...in all cases, I suggest really getting an instructor to teach you (unless...you're not really using sharp or 'real' weapons.), unless my assumption of 'Cryxis wants to learn real combat' is off ._.

*note*
The usage of 'sticks' (I feel like the term is crude by itself but... :v) are thought of as placeholders for real weapons. The art itself was not explicitly made for the usage of those devices.
Other links.

Edit: Oh thanks SalmonGod :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:57:06 am by Tiruin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 02:42:26 am »

Also before all else, I've no idea what LARP is there or on how you conduct combat, so...

Not pictured is the one surviving homemade dagger that I made 13 years ago from PVC and foam, which is the one that I used to dual-wield with and has held up incredibly well compared to all the others we made at that time.  They all got torn up and dangerous from the foam collapsing, but that dagger is still squishy and nice-looking, even though it was my favorite to use.  I even put a little fish emblem on it.  It's around somewhere among my kid's toys, but I couldn't find it without waking up the family.

Basic universal rules with boffa weapons is any touch counts as a hit, and you should always aim to touch as lightly as possible.  A hit to a limb disables it (arm falls limp or hop on one leg).  Hit to the torso is a kill.  Hits to the head are not allowed.

Of course these professionally made ones you can beat each other with as viciously as you want and it's very unlikely anyone will get hurt, so lightest-touch type rules are mostly ignored in casual settings.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:44:41 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 03:29:10 am »

Personally, I'm not sure I'd go for dual wielding. I don't think you add any real extra attack rate, if you add in winding the hit up. Attacking with both weapons at once leaves you open too. It does mean you can switch you handedness if you need to, like you would in boxing, but at the same time, parrying would take effort. A second weapon is less bulky though, and having something in your offhand can be a good idea when you wouldn't have a proper shield. Plus a shield is more trouble to lug around.

Still, having a shield in the offhand does mean you have a second weapon, and is a good way to knock people off balance for a followup. It needs more strength, but less finesse, but you can always fall back on ducking behind it. Pretty sure it'd be more tiring to use, but seems more reliable while your stamina lasts.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 03:54:18 am »

Also before all else, I've no idea what LARP is there or on how you conduct combat, so...

Not pictured is the one surviving homemade dagger that I made 13 years ago from PVC and foam, which is the one that I used to dual-wield with and has held up incredibly well compared to all the others we made at that time.  They all got torn up and dangerous from the foam collapsing, but that dagger is still squishy and nice-looking, even though it was my favorite to use.  I even put a little fish emblem on it.  It's around somewhere among my kid's toys, but I couldn't find it without waking up the family.

Basic universal rules with boffa weapons is any touch counts as a hit, and you should always aim to touch as lightly as possible.  A hit to a limb disables it (arm falls limp or hop on one leg).  Hit to the torso is a kill.  Hits to the head are not allowed.

Of course these professionally made ones you can beat each other with as viciously as you want and it's very unlikely anyone will get hurt, so lightest-touch type rules are mostly ignored in casual settings.
I was all hyped up that it was melee combat in the sense outside of those rules .-.
I quite like that you guys use animal fluff bags as weapons though! :D

Err, question. Can you do anything otherwise in LARP battles like striking away the weapon-hand or parrying away their weapon so you can go in for a torso hit?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 07:19:59 am »

Your solution is to move to germany : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzteF-P67o
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:15 am »

Dual wield two handed swords. Oh, yes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 11:10:53 am »

Err, question. Can you do anything otherwise in LARP battles like striking away the weapon-hand or parrying away their weapon so you can go in for a torso hit?

My brother had a habit of hitting my hands really hard, which was the only way I've ever been hurt with those things... considering it's supposed to be lightest touch and striking the hand away would require force, I'd say no.

But parrying away the weapon, yes.  That was the whole purpose behind my dual-wielding.  Instead of bouncing the opponent's weapon away like a shield would, I'd try to catch and control it as much as I could to create openings.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 11:34:28 am »

Currently I am trying to learn how to use Escrima sticks (philipeno combat baton type things that are duel wielded) I'm using this to learn dual wielding because that is one of my worst skills
* Tiruin cheers to the high heavens. She feels national pride due to cultural upbringing.
Also its ESKRIMA D:< [well, here, it is spelled that way...notably because we DON'T have 'c' in our language, but 'K'.
...A,b,k,d,e-... :P]
And FILIPINO.
We are not spelled like Philipino (in that manner) just because our country is the Philippines :P [Well, nationality anyway]

Well for the Japanese and a few other Asian cultures dual wielding was used because shields were... well... out of the question.

In the place I cannot remember they dual wielded wooden sticks because of a weapon ban.

In Japan's case saying "Dual wielded" is somewhat of an exaggeration because you GENERALLY didn't attack with your shield sword... it was considerably shorter then the one you used for hitting people with.
Eh? Not really :V
Shields were used in many 'Asian cultures' due to their utility. In our place, shields were emphasized as a tool along with either the spear or the curved knife/sword.

They aren't combat technique videos, but Lindybeige on youtube knows quite a bit about melee weapons.
I would call that a gross simplification. Though yes, it generally more difficult for an untrained fighter to pick up a pair of weapons and do very well with them, if that's what you mean. Also, be careful with shields. They create a massive blindspot that can hinder you as much as help.

No it physically doesn't work.  You can only effectively swing one weapon at a time because physics, so carrying two identical weapons is a waste of time.  Especially since the effort of carrying a second weapon could be better spent on armor, rations or ammo.
Mate, excuse my bout of euphoria but I'll have to step hard on your [statement] there figuratively :3
You, are wrong. Study the details thoroughly before discarding a manner of operation.

I've read and saw a lot of Eskrima here and nay, 'dual-wielding' as y'all call it is very muchly possible. Though I haven't personally studied it myself, I've got friends who do so (and I seriously would love to practice it if not for financial limitations :I)
My wording is a bit messy here. Apologies if it may come off as bad-sounding.

Hmm, let me get a nice linkie for you non-Filipinos out there.
Linkie for Cryxis. I've no idea where or who the original video uploader is due to what seems to be multiple instances of the video on youtube though ._. Found the one with at most a 360p. Do note the IPMAF carries symbols on the logo written in Baybayin. :P

Though...I'm unsure as to what kinds of combat technique videos you're looking for. Demonstrations such as these may not be fully understood by observers who do not know the art in itself as a foundation (also the videos I'm linking here aren't...more made to teach but to show, unless you could say teach-by-watching if you grasped the concepts thoroughly but forgot(?) for...err, yeah. [They do have teaching factors in them. Not saying they don't. Emphasis on the second link. I am unable to find others due to net constraints.]). Eskrima is a term with a lot of details within it. It combines both footwork, handwork, eye coordination and kinesics. Quick movements are emphasized but with the underlying idea beneath how to perform such being a technique [or...rhythm]. Here, the emphasis has parrying--but not at the weapon. You strike at the hands [the wrists]; it is a fighting style which moves to disable before striking, in an observer's eye :v. I'll leave the remaining details for personal research. You will note that the art of the weapon will also have terms tied to the origin of the weapon--so expect...spanish terms in Eskrima. What I say here will be very broad.

Now, Cryxis, I firstly advise to train unarmed [emptyhand//empty handed], then move to one-handed styles until you know what you're doing (emphasis on unarmed.) Leave two-handed fighting out of the question until you get proficient with one-handed fighting--that's a basic concept in Eskrima. Training with the rattan sticks would also emphasize handed-ness. The concept that, yeah, you can be ambidextrous in the manner of wielding and using items proficiently in both hands (also a note in psychology, early to late development of motor control? I may be rambling here.)
Next, there's...quite  alot of videos or demonstrations floating around regarding the matter there in the net, and also many other online sites with information about it (though they aren't that good compared to hands-on tutoring or training...). You cannot be proficient without knowing the subtle mannerisms in how they work--grip, stance, style, form. If it would do you well, go research or read up or look in your locality or nearby areas for any practitioners of the art for more information. Because you will be very sorely pressed if you'll just 'learn by free videos'. It lacks the hands-on learning derived from both being there, seeing, and practicing with an instructor.

Disclaimer: From a friend [non Filipino] who told me from observation, If you're going to watch the Filipino vids, do note that we're...more action oriented [ie We'll describe by doing the action and saying 'like this//see', more direct to the point but less describing of how it is done unless the video directly states that its an instruction vid.] :P Also include occasional parts of 'you know' and other notes like that, along with witty humor in demonstrating.

PS: Don't underestimate weapons. Another link for reference.
It's quite hard(?)...different pointing at links based on what you know and stating them as evidence :/
And more links! This time with basic ideologies.

And another, this time demonstrating an older form of Eskrima. Though the instructors use local terms here, they refer to the person [similar to uncle or...brother, but emphasis on respect].

Also before all else, I've no idea what LARP is there or on how you conduct combat, so...in all cases, I suggest really getting an instructor to teach you (unless...you're not really using sharp or 'real' weapons.), unless my assumption of 'Cryxis wants to learn real combat' is off ._.

*note*
The usage of 'sticks' (I feel like the term is crude by itself but... :v) are thought of as placeholders for real weapons. The art itself was not explicitly made for the usage of those devices.
Other links.

Edit: Oh thanks SalmonGod :D
Sorry for the miss spells, those are what my phone auto corrects to
Thanks for the many links I will make sure to use them

I do not know much hand to hand fighting but I may try to learn more if I can
I do know plenty of one handed fighting with my right hand though since I mainly use sword and shield
My off hand though is sorly lacking in use and when I do duel world it is almost always used for blocking so I think I may switch up and use a shield I my right and sword in left to help me learn
As for the instructor, I live I. The middle of nowhere and the only combat instructors that are close are Tia Kwan doe (I probably just butchered that) instructors that I can't afford to use
I have good foot work and hand eye coordination

I think there was a bit of confusion though, me and my friends use wooden or polypropylene weapons for training so no edged weapons=no accidental deaths.
LARPing is live action roll playing and can be anything from dressing up and acting out a fun game of dungeons and dragons to doing historical reenactments and many other things.

Thank you very much for the links
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 11:39:39 am »

Lololol that's not what we do
We use wood and polypropalyne weapons and hit eachother till we give into pain
I've come close to breaking my hands too often and will walk with a limp for days after fighting
Saftey is important though, we try not to hit hard enough to cause internal damage or breaking bones and no head/neck/crotch shots but besides that it's all out fighting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

Obligatory "that aint safe" warning.

To elaborate, you can hit the kidneys when striking at the side and back, and as you've noticed you can severely damage your hands. Also, all it takes is a slip and you could probably crack a rib, quite aside from the risk of slapping someone in the crotch. But I know how you feel! My brother and I used to fight pretty heavily with steel rods.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:43:42 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 11:49:32 am »

Obligatory "that aint safe" warning.

To elaborate, you can hit the kidneys when striking at the side and back, and as you've noticed you can severely damage your hands. Also, all it takes is a slip and you could probably crack a rib, quite aside from the risk of slapping someone in the crotch. But I know how you feel! My brother and I used to fight pretty heavily with steel rods.
As I said we try to keep from hits that cause internal damage and when a hit that possibly causes it happens the person that got hit gets whatever medical attention we can give (bag of ice, bandages, an I'm sorry) and is not allowed to fight the rest of the day and the person that hit them is not allowed to fight unless everyone is ok with it ( ie the hit was entirely accidental)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »

The Japanese paired longsword/shortsword.

I'm just going to hop in and say that you don't use both at the same time. Miyamoto Musashi was an aberrant whose legacy is half myth, but was noted for his technique of throwing a wakizashi during combat to distract or kill his opponent. His battles were duels, regardless. The usual Japanese sword style is to two-hand the blade.

You might be able to dual wield short axes, I think that could work.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 12:25:39 pm »

ESKRIMA
Thank you very much for this, Tiruin!
Eskrima has fascinated me for a long time but for various reasons I never came around to practicing it (1. absolutely no eskrima teachers here and 2. too lazy to even search for any sort of educational videos on youtube).
So yeah, thanks for sharing, you rock! :3

IIRC, the Japanese mostly carried two swords because they had crappy iron and not enough coal and needed a backup if the first one broke.
You know, I've wondered about that. There's been some discussion about this some time ago in some thread around here and the general consensus was that katana are over-hyped piece of brittle garbage. Yet when I checked wikipedia article all I could find is that Japanese steel of medieval era was one of the most refined ones at the time, it's just they tend to break because of the structure (thin, curved blade)? And because they have to be used completely differently than europena swords? And they generally didn't forge thicker swords because of the material shortage?  :-\
Dunno, I should really do some more research one of this days.

As for Miyamoto Musashi - dunno about sword throwing, I spent (only) one year learning in school that was based directly on his teachings and there were some neat moves with both swords... but yeah, definitely duel rather than traditional warfare based.

The Cheat
You are now my god, prophet and saviour.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16