Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Melee Combat  (Read 29671 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Combat
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2014, 09:03:02 pm »

I read that as children future knights would have weights sewn into their clothes to get them used to carrying extra. Can't find the source at the moment and I haven't time to dig before work.

Full plate and full mail aren't that heavy. Pretty accurate reconstructions are worn routinely at larp events by peoples with no training. Fighting a whole day in IRL fight is a different matter entirely.
I know I've seen reenactors doing cartwheels and similar. What I read mentioned the same and pointed out that it would be even easier to carry if trained from young to carry extra weight. Wish I could find the source.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:07 pm »

Full plate and full mail aren't that heavy. Pretty accurate reconstructions are worn routinely at larp events by peoples with no training. Fighting a whole day in IRL fight is a different matter entirely.
33 - 50 lbs according to wikipedia, but it was distributed all of the way across your body, so it was easier to move around in for prolonged periods then modern firefighter gear is. So yeah, it's pretty light.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »

Plus it's not like unarmored warfare is exactly easy.  Look at wrestling.  They train like fiends just to be able to maximize efforts for 6 minutes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2014, 10:55:38 pm »

Look at wrestling. They train like fiends just to be able to maximize efforts for 6 minutes.
You have no idea. o_o

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:18 pm »

You have no idea. o_o

I think I have something of an idea.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2014, 12:27:25 am »

You have no idea. o_o
I think I have something of an idea.
Oh cool, then you've wrestled before! *wrestlebrofist*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2014, 12:44:48 am »

Another high school wrestler here.

Wrestling is extreme, though... I have no experience with real fights, but it's not the kind of exertion I would expect.  The contest is set up such that you are constantly straining your muscles against your opponent's for a prolonged period, like imagine an arm-wrestling match that lasts 6 minutes and extend that to your whole body.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2014, 05:52:02 am »

And then there's all that climbing on a ring corner and jumping down on your opponent elbow first.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2014, 06:26:33 am »

Full plate and full mail aren't that heavy. Pretty accurate reconstructions are worn routinely at larp events

Modern hobbyist plate armor is generally made from aircraft aluminum, not steel. It's considerably lighter.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2014, 06:39:58 am »

I knew a guy on another forum who was an armorsmith, and he was using steel. On unrelated note, that same guy said he once fell 20 feet in his armor and only got minor bruising.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2014, 08:54:42 am »

Full plate and full mail aren't that heavy. Pretty accurate reconstructions are worn routinely at larp events

Modern hobbyist plate armor is generally made from aircraft aluminum, not steel. It's considerably lighter.

My experience is that at least as many make from steel as from aluminium. It also depends how amateur you mean - someone with a reputation making and selling armour who works fast and produces good quality is more likely to be using aluminium, but someone who's just making a suit for themselves may well use steel.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2014, 09:21:38 am »

I knew a guy on another forum who was an armorsmith, and he was using steel. On unrelated note, that same guy said he once fell 20 feet in his armor and only got minor bruising.

2 story drop? Yeah that is possible.

MIND YOU people have fallen from that height without armor and landed safely.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:14:03 pm by Neonivek »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »

how good is modern armor at stopping a crossbow bolt or a spear/pike and what about stopping a claymor and lastly how well does modern armor stack up against a mace/flail?
Well, there are AR500 plates, which are essentially just very tough steel plates that can be used instead of ceramic. They'd probably actually be more effective at stopping medieval weaponry, since they don't have a tendency to deform and break like ceramic does after a few hits.

Of course, they're also heavier.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2014, 06:03:06 pm »

Another high school wrestler here.

Wrestling is extreme, though... I have no experience with real fights, but it's not the kind of exertion I would expect.  The contest is set up such that you are constantly straining your muscles against your opponent's for a prolonged period, like imagine an arm-wrestling match that lasts 6 minutes and extend that to your whole body.

This just makes it seem even more sexual. Jeez.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »

That's why I don't want to learn normal wrestling
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16