Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building your own adventurer party using retiring and unretiring  (Read 2834 times)

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building your own adventurer party using retiring and unretiring
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:48:48 pm »

Has anyone managed to retire and join up all their previous adventurers yet? I've been doing that today, I retired them all to the same town, but I'm having trouble finding them again. They've all met the lord and some people that hang out at a local tavern but they've never heard of each other so they can't ask for whereabouts.

Ikim Dustcalms The Exalted Frenzy of Bucks - Ikim Oceer Zokaoxul Ilan, axeman

born 204 in an unknown hamlet outside Riderbottles, of the Empire of Guises

80 Notable kills

His nose is broken. His hair is extremely long. He is tall and muscular. He has a prominent chin. His ears are extremely narrow. His left lower back teeth, lower right back teeth, upper right back teeth, lower front teeth, and upper front teeth are gone. His head is extremely narrow. His head bears the marks of old wounds, including a massive jagged scar. His pale chestnut eyes are slightly wideset. His eyebrows are quite dense. His hair is flax. His skin is raw umber. His left foot bears a massive curving scar.

Rislu Lovelybent Sanapuja, bowman

born 202 in the town Riderbottles of the Empire of Guises

1 Notable Kill

He is average in size. His curly hair is extremely long. He has a grating, raspy voice. He has an angular chin. His teeth are gapped. His head is broad. His somewhat broad ears are slightly flattened. His ears are somewhat short. His hair is pale taupe. His skin is peach. His eyes are jade.

Anthath Ritestrokes Straliradi, swordsman

born 201 in the town Focusedcudgels of the Empire of Guises

1 notable kill

He is average in size. His somewhat greasy hair is extremely long. His teeth are tangled. He has an angular chin. His nose bridge is slightly convex. His nose is slightly upturned. His hair is pale taupe. His skin is peach. His eyes are jade.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:15:53 pm by lowbart »
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Building your own adventurer party using retiring and unretiring
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:28:44 am »

The game treats retired people in the usual bizarre fashion. All your adventurers are probably stacked into one or two houses in the outskirts. There is no way to easily find them without cheating. That's why, if you want to find someone afterwards - retire in a small village.

Adventuring parties were quite fun in 0.34 (with some minor tweaking to allow giving companions proper armor and weapons). But stacking your previous selfs into one party is too easy. Try properly raising a bunch of NPC to be immortal bloodthirsty killers instead.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 05:32:26 pm »

Has anyone managed to retire and join up all their previous adventurers yet? I've been doing that today, I retired them all to the same town, but I'm having trouble finding them again.

I did this back in one of the 2D versions.  Finding the adventurers was a problem even then, and the towns were not very big.  I think I had about 7, and it was a real hassle.

I recommend retiring in as small of a location as possible.  Can you retire in Lairs?  That might be best.  Or maybe a tiny fortress site that has been clear cut and leveled, and some very small structures to denote the center and perimeter to make it easy to search.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:05:34 am »

I recommend retiring in as small of a location as possible.  Can you retire in Lairs?  That might be best.  Or maybe a tiny fortress site that has been clear cut and leveled, and some very small structures to denote the center and perimeter to make it easy to search.
I don't think you can retire in lairs. You can retire in abandoned towns. (And if it's not abandoned then you should be able to make it so in the newer versions.) You could probably make one of your retired adventurers lord/lady of the town.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:00:01 am »

you can also retire in camps.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:02:11 pm »

The game treats retired people in the usual bizarre fashion. All your adventurers are probably stacked into one or two houses in the outskirts. There is no way to easily find them without cheating. That's why, if you want to find someone afterwards - retire in a small village.

Adventuring parties were quite fun in 0.34 (with some minor tweaking to allow giving companions proper armor and weapons). But stacking your previous selfs into one party is too easy. Try properly raising a bunch of NPC to be immortal bloodthirsty killers instead.

That would be fun but it's too difficult to teach them to swim.
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:54:16 pm »

You can try to create your own dwarf fortress, at the location you want and after retiring it, treat it as your base of operations for adventurers that you would retire there.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »

When you attempt to walk into a companion while both of you are standing, you switch places instead. This works across z-levels. You can lead your companion to the tile next to the water, hop in the water yourself, and then exit onto the patch of dry land your companion is standing on. Now you'll be on dry land, and your companion will be drowning in the water. From there you can set up a short macro to repeat the switching, and leave it running until your companion no longer turns blue upon entering the water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:30:57 am »

When you attempt to walk into a companion while both of you are standing, you switch places instead. This works across z-levels. You can lead your companion to the tile next to the water, hop in the water yourself, and then exit onto the patch of dry land your companion is standing on. Now you'll be on dry land, and your companion will be drowning in the water. From there you can set up a short macro to repeat the switching, and leave it running until your companion no longer turns blue upon entering the water.

Smart!