Sinister
- 3 (5.6%)
Haunted
- 3 (5.6%)
(some other boring thing)
- 2 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Lethithelire Abeco Athama: An Elven Fortress  (Read 9475 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Mode
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 06:01:08 pm »

Terrifying mountain range. It would be a huge challenge for Elves.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 06:28:25 pm »

Actually, you'd be surprised. Relatively treeless locations are easier to settle because you can't clear trees.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »

Actually, you'd be surprised. Relatively treeless locations are easier to settle because you can't clear trees.
Right, but don't you need trees to sing?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 06:44:58 pm »

Actually, no. I don't know that there's a way to check for nearby trees when building a workshop, and I don't believe you can have an interaction target them either, so elves rely on what I call heartwood to get the process started. Basically, you embark with a few (three or four should be enough) and the logs to build their shrines. Those shrines generate logs, which are then used at the existing Craftself's and Carpenter's shops as well as the Guardshaper and Warshaper shrines, which create weapons and armor. They can also be infused with metals once you trade with the dwarves or humans for picks. Ideally this would be coded in a way that required trees, but since the only specification one can make is for magma, I can't do so.

I could probably write up a quick tutorial if you guys wanted me to.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 06:48:37 pm »

Actually, no. I don't know that there's a way to check for nearby trees when building a workshop, and I don't believe you can have an interaction target them either, so elves rely on what I call heartwood to get the process started. Basically, you embark with a few (three or four should be enough) and the logs to build their shrines. Those shrines generate logs, which are then used at the existing Craftself's and Carpenter's shops as well as the Guardshaper and Warshaper shrines, which create weapons and armor. They can also be infused with metals once you trade with the dwarves or humans for picks. Ideally this would be coded in a way that required trees, but since the only specification one can make is for magma, I can't do so.

I could probably write up a quick tutorial if you guys wanted me to.
Maybe you could embark with saplings that are required to build the workshops, and can also be produced by them. I'm no modder, but that could work.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »

That's basically what the hearts are.

I should probably mention that there's currently no way to give items the "grown" flag without DFhack, so yeah, give the spring caravan clothes, not hearts.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 08:19:17 pm »

That's basically what the hearts are.

I should probably mention that there's currently no way to give items the "grown" flag without DFhack, so yeah, give the spring caravan clothes, not hearts.
Ah, okay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 08:25:21 pm »

Aha! I stole the last spot!

So I am going to be playing in year seven? and we seriously can't do ANYTHING with stone or metal, but infuse wood? Are houses built the same way, with the external stairs to build the roof, or can you do it without the external squares?

Can we make crossbows, or just bows/blowguns? And is iron infused wood as good as solid iron or what? Just wondering.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 08:35:49 pm »

Weapon-grade metal infused woods are roughly a tier below where the base metal is. Non-weapon-grade metals have identical properties. All of them have halved density.

We can probably do true metalworking if we get to magma. Stone can still be used as it is in Fortress Mode, but it's hard to come by early on. The only stone/metal-exclusive things in the game AFAIK are mechanisms and slabs, and I've already added wooden mechanisms to the infuser. Elves have also been granted access to enormous corkscrews, large serrated discs, and spiked balls. Everything in Dwarf Mode should be possible in Elf Mode. Roofing does require stairs up there, but so does roofing in real life. (Well, there are other ways to get there, but not in DF.)

By the way, let me know if bugs pop up. I can probably fix most of them.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 03:04:13 am »

Ooo just had an idea: embark around a cave with a "downward passage" - two groups of elves will soon exist, the "Light elves" up on the surface, and the "Dark elves" who prefer the shadowed groves of the underworld...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 06:07:22 am »

i'd like to be an invader warrior. preferably the one that kills the most elves.
Reason: i figure genocide is a bit easier than honest work.

Embark on a volcano
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 03:12:21 pm »

Just to avoid confusion, I only want an Elf. I am not interested in any overseer turn or what have you, only the Elf.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »

This looks very interesting. The whole volcano in the middle of a forest thing cracked me up. You know, because elves. And magma murdering trees.

Don't want a turn. But I would like to be "elffed up" as a male spear elf. Name him Bleedheart.

Ooo just had an idea: embark around a cave with a "downward passage" - two groups of elves will soon exist, the "Light elves" up on the surface, and the "Dark elves" who prefer the shadowed groves of the underworld...

I love this idea. If this is done, I want my elf to live underground as a "dark elf" to fight the creatures in the caverns.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 09:32:15 pm »

I think I'm going to go for the 50/50 Terrifying/Joyous embark.
GM of Trespassers V2.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:51 am »

\o/  savannahs are best joyous, anyhow.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8