Sinister
- 3 (5.6%)
Haunted
- 3 (5.6%)
(some other boring thing)
- 2 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Lethithelire Abeco Athama: An Elven Fortress  (Read 9481 times)

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Mode
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:58 am »

I think I'm going to go for the 50/50 Terrifying/Joyous embark.

The glacier, or the marsh/savannah? IMO, the latter would be more interesting.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 04:29:38 pm »

The savannah.

Overseer's Journal, Day 1

We arrived at Alisainire today, and I must say it is rather disturbing. The northern half of the area is cluttered with the corpses of trees, taken by some unknown malady. A brook loosely divides this rot from a savannah. We saw some giant animals on our way here, and though there are no feather trees, I feel a positive energy emanating from this place.

Eviosime warned me about some movement he saw in the accursed treetops. Rotted corpses of eagle men were flitting about. I've posted him and our two other militiaelves on the other side of the brook, so they could serve as guards while we build fortifications.

We've begun construction directly over the brook; we need a secure water source immediately. Who knows what savage, foul creatures lurk in the northern swamp?

Day 7

Construction is slow. We brought a lot of gear, and the animals are in the way somewhat. Panstach (what an odd name, was his father human?) is simply muttering about dwarves and how they could be tunneling under us at this very moment. I told him to calm down, and he just glared at me and started talking to one of the giant hyenas.

i will continue as I play
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »

Day 10

Dear trees, they're among us! Oh no! Oh. . .

It appears that the eagle men recognize elves as friends of nature, even in death. In other news, we've planted sun berry seeds, and I've had another plot prepared to produce rope reeds. The Retreat should appreciate clothes once we get some weavers trained. The walls are starting to go up regardless, however. We'll need a roof soon; dwarven settlers have brought tales of evil rains and murks that steal one's soul in these places.

Day 11

Eviosime reporting in. King Murdoc's journal was wrong; one of the damned eagle men tore him apart when he got too close. I've taken over this expediton until we choose a new leader.

Blood stains the rest of the page, blurring it to illegibility.

So yeah, they refused to kill the thing or run away unless explicitly ordered, and we had no blunt weapons. Anyone want to try a reclaim?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:47:42 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 05:02:16 pm »

So, thus falls the first Elf "fortress."

It was inevitable.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 05:04:04 pm »

in less than two weeks.by dead furries.

It is terrifying

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

in less than two weeks.by dead furries.

It is terrifying
It is sad, but not unexpected.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:57 pm »

I'll go for a reclaim. I want to play around with a different embark though, so I get the game down. Don't want to reclaim knowing nothing.

Can the eagle men fly if they are dead?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 05:29:40 pm »

I'll go for a reclaim. I want to play around with a different embark though, so I get the game down. Don't want to reclaim knowing nothing.

Can the eagle men fly if they are dead?
Yes.  And quite fast of they were undead when they entered the map.

Husks you can typically outrun, undead not so much.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »

now I've got to have a way of dealing with them. Is there a mining skill for elves? I'm thinking dig some basements for food storage and temporary protection until I get an adequate militia going.

Is that a good approach?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »

Elves can't produce picks. I kept that intentionally.

EDIT: Save is here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:40:21 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »

Wow. That was really fast. The whole good versus evil landscape is really fascinating, but I fear the Elves might tend to be too god damn bleeding heart liberal to survive in an evil biome for long. They aren't violent and insane like dwarfs.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 10:41:52 pm »

The main issue is that elves are incredibly vulnerable early-game. You can forgo alcohol entirely (though the happy thoughts are good) so that saves a bit of time, and individual elves should be a bit stronger in hand-to-hand compared to dwarves, but unless you embark with a shitload of logs you can't do much since wood production is slow. I also can't embark with quivers for some odd reason, so that and bows not being insane fucking railguns anymore kills that. Your melee consists of shitty swords and hammers until you can get mining going, and even then, it's hard to spare elves because of all the construction you're doing. Also, for some reason, the metric shitload of giant predators I brought along just kind of looked at the corpses instead of violently eviscerating them.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:07 pm »

The main issue is that elves are incredibly vulnerable early-game. You can forgo alcohol entirely (though the happy thoughts are good) so that saves a bit of time, and individual elves should be a bit stronger in hand-to-hand compared to dwarves, but unless you embark with a shitload of logs you can't do much since wood production is slow. I also can't embark with quivers for some odd reason, so that and bows not being insane fucking railguns anymore kills that. Your melee consists of shitty swords and hammers until you can get mining going, and even then, it's hard to spare elves because of all the construction you're doing. Also, for some reason, the metric shitload of giant predators I brought along just kind of looked at the corpses instead of violently eviscerating them.

I actually think dwarfs would be better at combat due to their combat trance. And elves are a bunch of hippies. But yeah, they certainly do seem to have a vulnerable early game. Is there like some sort of strategy you can use to shelter yourself before the evil biome destroys you? I know a dwarf would just tunnel out a shelter, but elves can't get early game mining. So do you just bring enough material on embark to wall yourself in a decent sized shelter? That would probably take a lot of material, though.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 11:05:50 pm »

I would probably, after some thought, embark with enough wood to wall off your wagon and leave enough room for a heartwood shine. Roof it over (build a wall over your staircase once you finish) and build up some logs. Get your war animals trained if you didn't embark that way, so they'll be aggressive. If you embark with militia, assign the animals and ensure to give explicit kill orders if any nasties show up. Build up a supply of logs and expand upward first, preferably with a small room that can be sealed off at least with doors, roof that over. Expand carefully so that you have room for at least 3 heartwood shrines, a butcher's shop, tanner's shop, an infuser and whatever industries you want to get started. Slaughter an animal and make a quiver. Once you feel you have a reasonably secure area, I would make three mechanisms at the infuser, then replace a section of wall with a bridge.

When I embarked, I made the mistake of building a large area right away. The giant stockpile made it hard to get walls up on time, and the militia was worse than useless. I would replace all but maybe a bowman with heartsingers or carpenters. Also, try to build over a brook if at all possible or get a still set up like really fucking fast because I haven't been able to embark with alcohol or any food other than fruit. (It might be a thing with barrels being wooden, but idk.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:09:01 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 10:06:02 am »

so heartsingers make the logs?
Any other info about classes would be appreciative.

I can't get the save to work! I put it in the save file, and when I bring up DF, it's not there! I replaced the objects file with the one like it said, and it's still not working! help please!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:25:38 am by Romegypt »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8