Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Castlefly: In need of time killer projects(.40.11+, Civilization Forge)  (Read 27638 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

==Castlefly==
--Reclamation of Dwarven Glory--

Greetings my friends, it is again that time. While Riverrun and Blackhold are far, far from over, as you all know I love to use the game to tell stories. So yes, groany groan groan, I'm making another community fort. Plus I don't actually have anywhere else to post said stories like this. While Riverrun and Blackhold use the Masterwork mod and .34.11, Castlefly will be using the less used Civilization Forge mod, updated for .40.05+, ala Carryscar. We will be reclaiming one of the only two dwarven fortresses in this region, both having been eh... Evacuated, by forgotten beasts. Our nobility lies dead to the scorching south, and few hillocks remain, meaning every dwarf must count.

The area is on the edge of glacier, meaning it will be a perpetual winter wonderland, meaning no easy water or uh, so I thought. Seems there's an aquifer here. We are also apparently on the edge of a good-aligned forest/taiga, which has a frozen river running through it, so... Yay I guess?

This presents a new set of challenges, as well as ones I mean to impose upon myself.
  • Early Game Nobility: We'll likely be slapped with the duties of tending a monarch very quickly, as our civ currently lacks any nobles. Mercifully, I can probably jury-rig accommodations for whomever this may be from the sparse rooms we have handy.
  • Trade and Warfare: We have fewer trading partners and a shortage of bad guys due to the location. However, as we are practically one of the last dwarven settlements in existence here, the enemy may come a knocking in short order. Our allies are also considerably lessened. We have only the foxfolk known as the Vamarii and Humans to trade with and if I remember right, they will only grace us in summer. This will probably negatively affect how much conflict we see.
  • As a self-imposed challenge we will not be using full suits of heavy armor, unless our soon-to-be monarch declares one of our number to be General, since the general and his/her bodyguards need the best protection.
  • Unrestricted Migration: We're the last holdout of dwarfdom, all survivors welcome! Yes, even... groan children younger than 8.
Others will be added as I see fit.

Spoiler: Starting Dwarves (click to show/hide)

Introduction follows below. Times are grim indeed here. Will we survive? Will The Lancer of Princes get its shit together and become a beacon of hope in world cruel to dorfs? Only time will tell...

-While delving an ancient dwarven ruin, you and your comrades stumble upon a number of old books in various places. The one in your own hands, reads "Journal of Mebzuth Ochreportals, of the group known as The Mountain of Amusement and the sovereign nation of The Lancer of Princes." As you do not plan to leave the place any time soon thanks to a blizzard, you sit down and start to read.-

Year 189, Age of Heroes. Log Entry 1.

I begin this log so as to tell the events as I see them in the fortress of Castlefly. We arrived here seeking refuge, purchasing or taking what we needed where we could. While we have ample supplies for our small group, our nation is dying, and it's entirely likely others will flock here to seek refuge as well. However it is a less than ideal place. While we have shelter and some supplies found here, we sit on the edge of a miserable glacier and the barely liveable tip of a zombie-infested mountain range. Only blind luck according to these maps, has saved us from the undead, the glacial cold being too great for them to slog through before they become immobile.

However, while the rumors of a dwarven fortress were true, it was not the abandoned mountainhome we expected. It was in an icy mound of snow, rocks, and matchsticks, towers present along it's south, west, and northern sides. It was more akin to a human fortress than a dwarven one.

I fear we are alone here, and not in the traditional “nobody is near us” way. The maps say there are hillocks nearby, but some lie in ruin. We passed the ominous spires of goblins and saw the burning bonefires of bugbear raid camps on the way here, and we have found many items abandoned in the fortress's depot, as well as ill-proportioned items that dwarves cannot use and piles of unused stone furnishings in storage.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the extent of the fortress, that we can safely use anyway. This makes Tosid's insistence we purchase an anvil a fitting precaution. My own investigation shows native gold, green marble (a stone valued highly by masons,) regular marble, and clay, as well as whatever goods were left behind (mainly cheeses and preserved berries and such by the look of things.) There also appears to be an aquifer which whoever built this place managed to only graze rather than pierce and flood the entirety of the lower portions of the place.

There is a ramp system that goes down quite a ways that we have decided against nosing around in for now. Minkot has taken charge as leader of what resembles a militia only in the vaguest sense, and we are now nosing about looking for weaponry that we may be able to use for ourselves so we can explore the place in relative safety. Safety here of course being more a matter of being able to fight back rather than actually being safe.

I can only hope we survive in this place. I don't think our people will last another two winters without somewhere to take refuge. And to make matters worse a bitter snowstorm already approaches, to batter us like the one at the start of Granite, before I began the logs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castlefly: The Hope of a Nation (.40.11+, Civilization Forge)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:03:08 pm »

DWARVES
As usual, all dwarves are available unless otherwise indicated.

FOUNDATION 5/7
Nil Rimfair: Male, Soldier [Claimed: Quartz_Mace]
Mebzuth Ochreportals: Male, Soldier/Narrator [Claimed: Splint]
Atir Reinroom: Male, Furnace operator/Mechanic
Tosid Tradedtrust: Female, Woodworker/Metalcrafter/Expedition Leader [Claimed: Timeless Bob]
Obok Glowanvil: Female, Miner
Maskwolf Moistcrafts: Male, Weapon/armorsmith [Claimed: 4maskwolf]
Minkot Pagewalked: Female, Militia Commander [Claimed: Unknown72]

WAVE 1 7/8
Sazir Rampartboar, Female, Talanted Fisherdwarf/Proficient Soldier (axe)
Sazir Clamrampart, Female, General Craftsdwarf
Ilral Glowpages, Male, High Master Mason/Militia Captain [Claimed: DreamerGhost]
Gecko Bannerspear, Female, Fishery Worker/Militia Captain [Claimed: Monitor Lisard]
Uvash Boltsdimpled, Male, Novice cook/Soldier (axe)
Kulet Pillarsnake, Female, Thresher/Novice Marksdwarf/Militia Captain
Likot Chamberbands, Female, Miner/Bowyer
Udil Swordfainted, Female, Bowyer/Novice Swordsdwarf

WAVE 2 5/6
Mafol Mosspaint, Female, Weaver
Aban Minegift, Female, Talented Stoneworker
Atesh Braveboulders, Female, Peasant
Tirist Roundgalley, Female, High master Presser
Dakost Roundgalley, Male, Cook
Unib Roundgalley, Male, Child

WAVE 3 17/19
Atis Spotrings, Male, Talented Animal Trainer
Kogan Enjoyedplace, Female, Novice Armorer
Sigun Distantbridge, Female, Forgemaster (high master armorer)
Tosid Insightcopper, Male, Talented Stonecrafter/Nocive Marksdwarf
Sakzul Clearedink, Male, Woodcrafter
Id Mirrortells, Male, Physician
Urvad Goodwhip, Male, Expert Stoneworker/Militia Captain
Domas Gravellulled, Female, Talented Armorer [Claimed: Insanegame27]
Lorbam Basementshot, Female, High Master Gem Cutter/Expert Armorer
Tosid Sunnyboots, Male, Accomplished Carpenter
Morul Whispercastle, Male, Gem Cutter
Minkot Whispercastle, Female, Spinner
Amsel Manorglade, Female, High Master bowyer/Militia Invalid
Shorast Joinedpaper, Female, Manager
Zefon Tourmatches, Female, Militia Captain
Doduk Claspedsculptures, Female, Siege Operator
Tosid Idolcastle, Female, Herbalist
Kikrost Fishtombs, Female, Talented Miner
Tobul Ringpassed, Male, Carpenter/Pump Operator

WAVE 4 8/8
Ushrir Oilwarms, Male, Gemsetter/Speardwarf
Rigoth Trumpethelms, Male, Miller
Zan Purewheeled, Male, Brewer/Macedwarf
Sakzul Boltcrux, Female, Mason
Stinthad Wheelpracticed, Female, Fishery Worker/Wrestler
Ilral Realmscraft, Female, Woodworker
Ilral Ravencave, Male, Mechanic
Dastot Ravencave, Female, Metalcrafter

WAVE 5 8/8
Rakust Wheelednobles, Male, Animal Dissector
Ral Brasspracticed, Male, Mechanic
Udib Seigeworked, Female, Appraiser
Dumed Wallpleat, Female, Engineer/Macedwarf
Atis Swallowedhammer, Female, Miner
Thikut Galleysizzle, Female, Appraiser
Stukos Touchbusts, Male, Recordkeeper/Marksdwarf
Led Touchbusts, Female, Axedwarf

WAVE 6 20/20
Erith Crowdedearths, Female, Stoneworker
Vabok Tributegold, Female, Beekeeper
Meng Granitepride, Female, Wax Worker
Asmel Woundhealer, Male, Butcher/Marksdwarf
Ustuth Divineboats, Male, Engraver
Asmel Headabbey, Female, Leatherworker/Wrestler
Ral Workedlance, Male, Engraver/Marksdwarf
Shem Splashhammer, Female, Appraiser/Glazer/Woodcutter
Ast Channeltangled, Female, Planter/Siege Engineer
Mebzuth Steambolts, Female, Bonecarver/Siege Operator
Obok Tomebristle, Female, General Metalworker/Stonecrafter
Grim Halleast, Male, Guard Captain [Claimed: Grim Portent]
Vucar Tourguilds, Female, Novice Hammerdwarf/Talented Weaponsmith
Minkot Foughtanvil, Male, Herbalist/Wrestler
Ast Oilyhoist, Female, Mason
Rovod Urngrips, Female, High Master Trapper
Ingiz Ledmachine, Female, Cook
Shorast Furnacelabor, Female, Appraiser/Woodcrafter
Rakust Seizedsteel, Male, Miller
Zulban Seizedsteel, Female, Ranger/Marksdwarf

WAVE 7 8/8
Obok Steelwilt, Female, Lye Maker/Blacksmith
Edem Rampartthin, Male, High Master Wax Worker/Fortress Guard
Ducim Severecudgle, Female, Weaponsmith
Ushrir Ceilingcudgle, Female, Siege Operator
Momuz Thinnedrelics, Female, Engineer
Inod Beachedrelic, Male, Bone Doctor/Fortress Guard
Doren Bronzesquirted, Male, Presser/Swordsdwarf
Solon Templepillars, Male, Planter

WAVE 8 6/7
Solon Ravenrags, Male, Blacksmith/Fortress Guard
Stukos Paddleplunge, Female, Butcher
Tosid Roadwild, Male, Stoneworker
Alath Bravebronze, Female, Dyer/Wrestler
Urist Constructpraise, Female, Mechanic
Thob Manorsavage, Female, Gem Setter/Siege Operator
Oddom Sanctumbridge, Female, Macedwarf [Claimed: kibaseviltwin]

Wave 9 15/17
Catten Oilsizzle, Male, Gem Setter/Hammerdwarf
Aban Hameblotted, Female, Weaponsmith/Wrestler
Sakzul Matchedarrows, Male, Tanner
Reg Scouredmountain, Male, Mason/Cheeseworker
Kadol Blowchanneled, Female, Forgemaster (Metalcrafter)
Stukos Archedoiled, Female, Tanner
Edem Lashedconfined, Female, Appraiser/Wax Worker
Thob Nationsoil, Female, Physician/Macedwarf
Ezum Pagepracticed, Female, Appraiser/Planter
Iteb Oilycastle, Male, Miner
Vabok Pantwhipped, Male, Brewer/Presser
Ingish Belttool, Male, Appraiser/Axedwarf
Avuz Tinnotches, Female, Spinner
Kel Gloveransack, Female, General Craftsdwarf
Kadol Seedbolted, Female, Tanner
Datan Quickchannel, Male, Cook
Ushat Blowinggold, Male, Engraver/Marksdwarf

WAVE 10 8/8
Sigun Havenabbey, Male, Animal Trainer
Mebzuth Elbowmines, Male, Brewer/Siege Operator
Ducim Glazecombat, Male, Brewer/Fish Dissector
Lokum Glazecombat, Female, Leatherworker
Ber Weststake, Male, Stoneworker
Atir Stockadeparched, Male, Glasmaker
Kol Spatteredrock, Female, Bone Carver
Oddom Oreshovel, Female, Glazer

FORTRESSBORN
Mosus Whispercastle, Female, Child
Momuz Ravencave, Female, Child
Led Whispercastel, Female, Baby
Dastot Whispercastle, Male, Baby

Waiting List

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:04:11 pm »

COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTIONS

[Quartz_Mace as Nil Rimfair the Hammer Lord]
Journal 1
Journal 2
Journal 3
Journal 4

[4maskwolf as Maskwolf Moistcrafts the Forgedwarf/Badass]
Journal 1
Journal 2

[Monitor Lisard as Queen/Archeologist Gecko Bannerspear]
Journal 1
Journal 2
Journal 3
Journal 4
Journal 5
Journal 6

[Grim Portent, as Guard Commander Grim Halleast]
Journal 1

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:07:42 pm »

CASUALTIES
Current Dead Dorfs: 9 (Founders Killed: 2)

INSANITY
Tosid Roadwild, Stoneworker: Melancholy (Failed Mood)

ACCIDENTAL/TANTRUM/OTHER
Amsel Manorglade, Crippled High Master Bowyer: Indirect Murder/Dehydration

INVADER/ANIMAL ATTACK
Udil Swordfainted, Swordsdwarf: Voracious Cave Crawler
Tobul Ringpassed, Carpenter/Pump Operator: Polar Bear
Obok Glowanvil, Miner: Forgotten Beast
Thob Nationsoil, Female, Macedwarf: Forgotten Beast
Aban Hameblotted, Female, Wrestler: Giant Ant Soldier
Minkot Pagewalked, Militia Commander: Macegoblin
Mafol Mosspaint, Weaver: Ironhide Centipede

OLD AGE

ABDUCTION

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:01 pm »

Now that we've had the obligatory 5 posts from Splint (I'm just kidding, don't hate me...), I'll take the armorsmith, if you will  :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 02:11:42 pm »

Now that we've had the obligatory 5 posts from Splint (I'm just kidding, don't hate me...), I'll take the armorsmith, if you will  :D

Sure thing. If you want to rename him just say so. I'll get his details for you as well.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:12:07 pm »

By the name of Urist McDwarf, if you will  :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »

By the name of Urist McDwarf, if you will  :P

Dunno if you're kidding or not, but in the meantime, here's his details (and why I labeled him the family dwarf :P)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 02:20:47 pm »

Well, going off of that description, rename their first name to maskwolf and give them the title of "forgedwarf".  Never "forgemaster", I do not pursue skill mastery.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »

Ninja'd

Moistcrafts the Armorsmith please.  Re-name the dwarf to "Mr" or "Miss" (depending on gender) and if he/she ever gets married, rename to "Mr/Mrs Litast" and the spouse to "Mr/Mrs Litast".
Moistcrafts should also be an Metalcrafter.  He will endeavor to make metal figurines, but re-melt any that don't pertain to hydras, fish or deities of water.  Eventually we should have lots of masterwork water-themed stuff lying around.

OK, so how about Tradedtrust the Metalcrafter instead?

Rename her to "Miss" and later to "Mrs <spouse's 'first' name>". I'm going under the assumption here that dwarves use surnames first, then personal names last, like the Japanese do, but have no family name at all until then.  To make things more dwarfy, lets say the spouse who is a noble or has the highest level of any one skill (in the event that both or neither are nobles) determine which surname they both share after marriage as "Mr." or "Mrs." 'first' name.  Eventually we may get a bloodline sub-game going here too.

Miss Tradedtrust should be the book-keeper as well, set to "High precision" ('All counts accurate' is really no fun at all).  You can trust that she'll want only the best for the fortress, which is why she'll also be a bit of a social climber.  One day, "Tradedtrust" may be the name of the new imperial line.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:33:35 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »

Moistcrafts the Armorsmith please.  Re-name the dwarf to "Mr" or "Miss" (depending on gender) and if he/she ever gets married, rename to "Mr/Mrs Litast" and the spouse to "Mr/Mrs Litast".  I'm going under the assumption here that dwarves use surnames first, then personal names last, like the Japanese do.

Moistcrafts should also be an Metalcrafter.  He will endeavor to make metal figurines, but re-melt any that don't pertain to hydras, fish or deities of water.  Eventually we should have lots of masterwork water-themed stuff lying around.
... I just claimed that dwarf...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:57 pm »

Moistcrafts the Armorsmith please.  Re-name the dwarf to "Mr" or "Miss" (depending on gender) and if he/she ever gets married, rename to "Mr/Mrs Litast" and the spouse to "Mr/Mrs Litast".  I'm going under the assumption here that dwarves use surnames first, then personal names last, like the Japanese do.

... I just claimed that dwarf...

I was just about to tell him he was a little late since you called dibs already :P

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »

I'll take a Dwarf, please. A self-righteous lawman (hammerer, sheriff, etc.) by the name of Stronghammer. He can be a soldier if you wish, or stick strictly to law enforcement. If he does go to war, he must use his hammer. As a civilian job, he's a blacksmith, using his hammer to shape great works of metal. He loves his hammer if you can't tell. Like, a lot.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 02:27:07 pm »

I'll take a Dwarf, please. A self-righteous lawman (hammerer, sheriff, etc.) by the name of Stronghammer. He can be a soldier if you wish, or stick strictly to law enforcement. If he does go to war, he must use his hammer. As a civilian job, he's a blacksmith, using his hammer to shape great works of metal. He loves his hammer if you can't tell. Like, a lot.

Note: When I say blacksmith he doesn't need to be an armored or weapon smith, though weaponsmith is preferred. He could also be a metal crafter and blacksmith (exact profession names).
EDIT: Specifically, I'll take the first Dwarf Nil Rimfair - The Cowardly Lion (1 lye making, hammer, armor, shield, 2 dodger, 4 discipline) [Soldier] though I hope that name changes. He can stay a lye maker for the time being.
Just realized, apologizes for double post. I meant to edit, not quote.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:46:21 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8