Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 4] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]  (Read 8930 times)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 4] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »

Thirteenth Entry: A PROPER Priest!

Thank Armok!

I've heard word that there's a Priest of Armok that's joined the other half of our population. Hopefully we won't be divided much longer... My next step is to ensure that he can get access to whatever supplies he might need from us who live in the mountain...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2014, 04:12:56 pm »

Second Entry of The Masked Priest: Spring, 252
Having spent more time amongst these dwarves, I have begun to get to know them better.  A few fistfights have broken out between those who hate the dwarves in the mountain and those who believe that the mountain dwellers are the most righteous of dwarves, and the mountain's personal security force has come down several times to break them up and apprehend those responsible.  There is much resentment amongst the majority of the populace directed at the those on the mountain, and seeing the way they are treated I cannot say it is unfounded.

Shortly before I arrived, a weresloth attacked the populace and many were killed.  I said the appropriate prayers over their bodies, and have visited their families to give them a blessing.  Many of them seem to have given up on the grace of Our Lord Armok, but that will change in time.  Our Lord works in mysterious ways, and some day these people and those in the mountain will find themselves at peace.  Perhaps through bloodshed, as is his usual way, but perhaps through more peaceful means, ways that allow for the destruction of those who would oppose Our Lord Armok's will.

Someday, I hope this place will have a great chapel worthy of Our Lord, but for now I will hold prayer services in the dining hall, where all who wish can come.  Should those in the mountain wish to come down, I will ensure that they are welcomed to our services: the worship of Our Lord Armok is for all, not merely a select few.

The one last thing that has come to my attention is the local branch of the Followers of the Path.  While I know you, my fellow priests, see them as heretics, I would say that they have chosen a different way to commune with Our Lord Armok.  While their beliefs may be flawed, it is up to Our Lord Armok to judge how we have lived our lives, and not to his priests.  Any verdict we deliver here will have no standing when they enter the afterlife.  All we can do is fulfill our duties to bless those who fight in Our Lord's name, and to honor those who have died and gone to join Our Lord.

To this effect, I have asked one of their members to deliver a letter of invitation to the local leader of the group.  I have written up a copy of the letter below:

To the honorable High Priest or Priestess of the Followers of the Path,
Praise be unto you, your people, and unto Our Lord Armok himself.  As the local priest of Our Lord Armok, it would be an honor to arrange a meeting with you to discuss matters both practical and theological.  The dwarf who gave this letter to you has instructions on how to return your response to me.  I sincerely hope you are available to meet in the future, and wish you the blessing and grace of Our Lord Armok.

I am currently awaiting a response from the message and will record the highlights of our meeting afterwards.  I hope that this meeting will show you that these people are not the heretics you believe them to be, but are simply dwarves of a different mindset worshipping Our Lord Armok.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 01:18:47 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of TacoMagic Rigņthigėr, Priestess of the Followers of the Path,

Late Spring, 251,

In a strange turn of events, I have received a missive from that new priest of Armok who has been hanging around the prospects.  In the past I have had no tolerance of those devoted to the blood god and his bizarre theology.  And yet...

It has not escaped me that the Followers do not have many friends in Glovedloved.  Insulated as I was in the Mountain, I had been completely blind to how few of us there actually are and how isolated the group is.  Now that I am no longer in a position of power, neither Omeganaut nor Skulls will agree to meet with me and none in the mountain will return my letters.  For the sake of the Followers, I need to cultivate new connections within the peasantry and this priest of masks, or whatever he calls himself, is the first chance I've had to treat with anyone of even modest influence among the prospects.  For the sake of my flock, I must form new alliances.

And, on reflection, perhaps those devoted Armok are not so different than the followers, though obviously not nearly as disciplined in observing the merits of poverty and self-denial.  Certainly the priesthood has a long history of liberating their patrons of the taint of metal and gem, a noble undertaking.  I find it curious that they are not only able to effect this cleanse of corruption from their constituents with the minimum of Sacrifices (to my knowledge only those dwelling in the great temple seem to be truly tainted with opulence), but they have managed to create a system in which their patrons willingly relinquish objects of nearly pure taint.  So far at Glovedloved, removing tainted objects from the prospects has always been something that requires force.  There is a secret to be learned here, I feel.

So it appears that the priests of Armok, at least those who actually deal with those of the peasantry, have many qualities that are rather compatible with the Path.  I suppose that should not surprise me, even the gods must answer to the Path to some degree.  It is only natural that the deities, and even Armok himself, would adopt some of the teachings of the Path.

I shall draft a reply forthwith to this "Masked Priest" and suggest an informal meeting over biscuits.  There is a lovely little grove of trees near the dog hut where we could lay a picnic while we sup and discuss the finer points of both the Priesthood of Blood and the teachings of Ordin Tredlek.  I will need to remember to wear something in earth tones so that the stains I acquire on the drag over there will compliment my outfit appropriately.

Late Spring, 251, Addendum,

I have been hearing disturbing rumors about strange, bestial noises coming from under the Dojo.  I sent Kaladin to investigate but he was turned away by the Civilian Defense guards who were training there.  A peculiar turn of events. To my knowledge they have not used to Dojo for training in months.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2014, 06:34:12 am »

Diary of Neblime Queen of Rock
1st Hematite
Apparently One of the latest peasants to arrive at our fair fortress has begun preaching in the dining hall. 
he claims to be a priest of armok, although what priest of armok would preach in such a detestable location I do not know.
Those west of the river may believe what they like, if it keeps them working, but if he enters my mountain I will be sure to test armok's love for him by a trial by magma.
Or a trial by cavein
Or maybe a trial by giant cave spider.

but first, can someone REMOVE THE DAMN ROCKS FROM MY BEDROOM
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:35:43 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:26 am »

Logbook of UltraMagnus, the Gentle:
Hematite, 252:
There hasn't been anything worth bragging home about regarding the housing on this side of the river, as the Mountainhome failed to mention the imposed castes of this land. While order is nice within a fortress, talk around the bush-fire informs me that most of the dwarves in the fabled mountain would rather play political chess than focus on managing our living quarters. Living like rats in caves, they must be, but I'm here now and I don't have the money to take the nearest wagon out of here.
When asked about the local power for this side of the river, I've been told to search for a group of local thugs called "Skull's Thugs."
A local gang of ruffians greeted me as I approached their base, decorated with all sorts of gifts from what I can assume to be mountain royals' payment for enforcing the civilians various whims outside of my place to question. The members of the group agreed to let me shadow them, hopefully giving myself a place in this fortress.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:56 am »

Wrong thread, Ultra.  This is the dead one that is no longer being moderated.

You want the new thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]