Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Castlefly: In need of time killer projects(.40.11+, Civilization Forge)  (Read 27577 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Castlefly: The Hope of a Nation (.40.11+, Civilization Forge)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »

Well, can I have a dwarf too? Any profession can do (if it's a military dwarf, spear skill is preferable). Name him/her "Gecko".

Basically, he/she is an archeologist who travelled with the retreating dwarven battalion when they got ambushed by bugbears. When not searching around with a spade, he/she is ready to do anything to help the people.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:44:19 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 02:34:58 pm »

saw that 4maskwolf: so, original post is updated.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:35 pm »

Could i take the Female Militia Commander? Named Glowspear, including her details?
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 03:16:29 pm »

Log Entry 2

It is now the 16th of granite, and little has been done save for arguing with the yaks (the damned things just won't stay in their pen at times, not that I blame them with the cold,) and a small herd of reindeer are nosing around to the north.

Much of the trees we can use are quite handily, silverwoods. This will become important in the near future, as I'm sure one among us will decide they are best suited to replace our dead monarchs. We are also storing all of the still-usable food in the uppermost part of the fortress for the time being, mainly to keep it safe from the elements and neglect.

In addition, we've found in the copious pile of unusable items, many falcatas and flails, weapons dwarves don't make regular use of. However, since we lacked any but basic tools, we've eagerly taken ones we found first or took a liking to. Nil fittingly found a silver hammer in the larger store room, and I and Minkot found an iron falcata and spear to use in the depot. Toside is working on making us some targes from a pine she felled, noting that the silverwood should be saved for later needs. Also, further examination of the ramps seems to indicate more space further down.

Once all the food is tended to and we've our targes, Minkot wants us to descend and investigate, as well as root out any “locals” who shouldn't be there. It will be some time until I will be able to write again, as there is much to do.

Log Entry 3

It is the 5th of Slate. All of the food appears to be secured, the turkeys are indoors, and Minkot gave Nil and I our targes. We descend in the morning. I worry about Nil, as he is somewhat on the cowardly side.

Log Entry 4

Exploration went well. Our first finding was a set of rooms that will quite handily serve well for any of our number who would decide to become monarch. After that, we found the emptied remains of what seem to be magma forges, with pools of quicksilver in places forges and smelters once were. This makes the foresight of an anvil and fuel all the more to be rubbed in our faces by Tosid.

Speaking of whom, she is drawing up plans for Obok to dig out residencies for eventual refugees and ourselves, and I have been assigned as temporary leatherworker, to make light armor and helmets for us. Minkot says that a leatherworker will be vital, as she intends leather to be an important part of our uniforms in the future. There is polarbear and wolf pelts to be fashioned into warm armor, so that will be my first real duty.

Okay, so first non-intro update to the place. Space is just barely enough to keep an eventual monarch from angrily killing everyone in frustration, the only useful things in the place are food, furniture, and weapons (everything else are junk crafts, or too big to fit a dwarf,) and we have absolutely no real industry to speak of to get us a headstart. Saving graces? Aquifer and Good border. Didn't actually know that the fort sat on the edge of good aligned ground.

Could i take the Female Militia Commander? Named Glowspear, including her details?

A less eh... I guess ponylike name would be nice if you wouldn't mind. It's more because I intend to track family lines and it'll sound weird with her dwarven surname.

Well, can I have a dwarf too? Any profession can do (if it's a military dwarf, spear skill is preferable). Name him/her "Gecko".

Basically, he/she is an archeologist who travelled with the retreating dwarven battalion when they got ambushed by bugbears. When not searching around with a spade, he/she is ready to do anything to help the people.

Alrighty then, on the waitlist.

@ Quartz - Nil is the dwarven word for hammer, hence why he's using a hammer. And he's the cowardly lion due to three personality traits: Cracks easily under pressure and tries to avoid physical confrontations, but also believes firmly in freedom/independence and will fight to defend such rights. He's yours. Also, his job is just to prevent bad thoughts about being relieved from duty. Same for Mebzuth and Minkot.

Ninja'd

Moistcrafts the Armorsmith please.  Re-name the dwarf to "Mr" or "Miss" (depending on gender) and if he/she ever gets married, rename to "Mr/Mrs Litast" and the spouse to "Mr/Mrs Litast".
Moistcrafts should also be an Metalcrafter.  He will endeavor to make metal figurines, but re-melt any that don't pertain to hydras, fish or deities of water.  Eventually we should have lots of masterwork water-themed stuff lying around.

OK, so how about Tradedtrust the Metalcrafter instead?

Rename her to "Miss" and later to "Mrs <spouse's 'first' name>". I'm going under the assumption here that dwarves use surnames first, then personal names last, like the Japanese do, but have no family name at all until then.  To make things more dwarfy, lets say the spouse who is a noble or has the highest level of any one skill (in the event that both or neither are nobles) determine which surname they both share after marriage as "Mr." or "Mrs." 'first' name.  Eventually we may get a bloodline sub-game going here too.

Miss Tradedtrust should be the book-keeper as well, set to "High precision" ('All counts accurate' is really no fun at all).  You can trust that she'll want only the best for the fortress, which is why she'll also be a bit of a social climber.  One day, "Tradedtrust" may be the name of the new imperial line.

Miss Tosid is shall be then. Dunno about bookkeeper just yet because she's the only one who knows which end of a carpentry hammer to hold right now, but she may get the job later on.

Spoiler: Tosid Details (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nil Details (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minkot Details (click to show/hide)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »

Yea sorry about the more pony like name, kinda stuck in that mood for a little bit, What about Drunkspear, or Spearedpelt? (i can't remember the dwarven language for these names sorry i also can't really think of good names right now, really sick and it's hard to think a little bit currently)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:32:56 pm by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 03:33:03 pm »

Ooh, Nil is a lovely Dwarf. Couldn't have asked for better! His original name can stay because "Hanmer Stronghammer" is redundant. A little bit of military training should harden him quite nicely. Looking forward to writing his journals in the future. He has a great personality.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 03:38:34 pm »

Yea sorry about the more pony like name, kinda stuck in that mood for a little bit, What about Drunkspear, or Spearedpelt? (i can't remember the dwarven language for these names sorry i also can't really think of good names right now, really sick and it's hard to think a little bit currently)

I meant one word not two. DF surnames are two words, so unless you want to change that and not the first name so it's not so awkward to read/say, keep trying. I don't meant o be quashing creativity or anything, I'm just trying to steer away from that sort of a name. You can also opt to just not rename her.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 03:40:50 pm »

Yea just gunna opt to not rename her currently, really sick and any name i can think of currently will most like be ponified in someway or form, or just downright ridiculous if my current thought process is anything to go by. Sorry bout that.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »

Log Entry 5

Much of the furnishings are slated to be taken down to the empty rooms we discovered, setting up an office, dining room, and eventually bedroom. They should prove satisfactory. However, it will likely take days to move all the furniture from the storage room to below.

It is grating to hear even myself complain about not having dining tables when we have chairs when we know we should be bringing the tables down in the first place, not snacking on likely season-old berries and meat the previous occupiers left behind.

Log Entry 6

Summer came without incident at first, but worry has set in in regards to hydration. Drink is down to somewhere around 80 units, resulting in Obok deciding to look into tapping the aquifer for a well. It was interrupted when they came. The Bugbears.

We would all have to fight, and hope that our livestock would distract them enough to grant us an edge. We quickly rummaged through the weapons laying around and grabbed whatever we felt would be most useful to who. A hatchet for Tosid and Atir, a hammer for Maskwolf, and Obok her pickax.

Mercifully, they seemed happy to do so for us, splitting up after spooking our livestock; one group left the area, while another made camp to our north. I don't believe they knew we were here until we fell upon them. Maskwolf charged ahead, screaming he would have his revenge for all the dwarves killed by their raiders. In a single stroke, he ended the closest bugbear!

He then rushed a macebear and shattered its left thigh and crushed its skull in his fury, leaving Obok too horrified to fight. A hammerbear tried to take out his leg but the blow landed awkwardly, leaving only a superficial bruise. Maskwolf retaliated and shattered the beast's wrist, and I clove its head from its shoulders!

The bugbear bowman fell next, nil cutting off its escape while Maskwolf attacked from behind, smashing its left shin and then its head in two quick and powerful strokes. Nil then tackled the last bugbear to the ground while Tosid jammed her hatchet into its right leg, the dumb beast not thinking to withdraw before reloading. While it was down, I planted my falcata on its neck and pushed until it stopped screaming and its head rolled away.

It... It was horrifying.

Obok was left a shaking mess, and we all felt... Well, less than great having to kill. All of us were crying, likely due in part to fear for our lives, though only Obok was outright sobbing, curled up by a tree and overcome by horror.

Tosid wants us to set up a place to store our leather armor and chosen weaponry for when raiders come. Sound reasoning, as we were lucky the raiders were horrendously inept, as we had to dig weapons out of the piles of junk to use. Weapons are going to be stored in bins for the time being, while armor won't be. That way Obok and Tosid can ready for battle faster. Until then, we busy ourselves with claiming furnishings for our new abodes.

Tosid has also given Maskwolf a targe. If other smiths arrive or he finds a dwarf he deems worthy, he will be with the rest of us for good in the militia.

Log Entry 7

The snow has started to melt, but the river remains frozen. I'm unsure of whether or not it will thaw out.

Okay! So, that was actually pretty crazy! Not even two seasons in (hell, not even a week into the second,) and a group of raiders who I assume were the current occupants/travelers came, and we beat the ever loving shit out of them with no casualties! Well, Maskwolf beat the ever loving shit out of them anyway. The rest of us were just sorta... There while he dished out the ass whoopings. Everyone is now in the militia simply because of those bandits. I was fully expecting at least one of our founders to be dead at the end of this fight, and it turned out speed was the key factor. And 6 of the enemies just up and wandering off to the east helped too.

We have a nice noble's suite mostly furnished sans bed, same for small apartments, and we're sorting some of the  storage issues we're having, as well as getting a well situated. Hopefully it'll be in enough that it won't freeze.

Hero of the raid: Maskwolf Moistcrafts, with three kills!
That other guy who helped: Mezbuth, with two kills (mainly because he had the only sharp thing able to punch through their helmets, as Minkot was lagging behind.)

Oh, and some of the snow thawed, but that's not nearly as important as WE KICKED THOSE BUGBEARS' ASSES~

Yea just gunna opt to not rename her currently, really sick and any name i can think of currently will most like be ponified in someway or form, or just downright ridiculous if my current thought process is anything to go by. Sorry bout that.

It's all good. Simplifies things a little.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 05:46:47 pm »

Well then, I think it's time for Nil's first journal entry...

So, we have arrived here. A place called Castlefly, one of the few fortresses that our people have made. Long ago, its inhabitants were forced out by a great beast, forgotten in the mists of time. There is not too much. The landscape is a frozen wasteland, just outside the lands in which corpses walk free. The accessible fortress is fairly small. We have found the useful remnants of magma forges, which greatly improves our Smithy situation. The aquifer under the earth has flooded the bottom of the fort, making it inaccessible to us. While looking through the wastes and ruins, we found some weapons. Thank the Gods.

Hardly a week into summer, we are being sieged by the Bugbears. We all took up arms. I had a silver war hammer, Maskwolf an iron, the miner used her pick, Tosid and Atir found hatchets. Mezbuth used a falcata. They split up in order to search for the entrance, luckily for us. I will never forget what happened next.

Maskwolf charged forward with the fury of Hell itself and brought down one of the foul creatures in a single swing, moving next to the Macebear that was then decapitated by Mezbuth. It was at this time I joined the fray, catching their archer rightfully fleeing for his life. I began my charge toward him, but before I could get there, Maskwolf reached the poor soul. He broke his foot and slammed him into the dirt as I came in readying a swing. Again, his homicidal rage was too quick and bits of brain flew into my face, unleashed by Maskwolf. It was horrible, blood and gore everywhere. But I had a job to do, no matter how gruesome. I charged for the last one, bringing him down so that Tosid could sink her hatchet into it and another brave Dwarf could relieve it of its head, blood spraying everywhere. We picked ourselves out of the puddles of blood, cleaned ourselves, and checked for wounds. Maskwolf has some bruising, but it's nothing serious.

And so we've defended ourselves, with no casualties or major injuries, but can we continue? We were lucky, but all luck eventually runs out...
    -Nil
Note to self: Stay away from Maskwolf. He's more liable to kill us than any raid or siege.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:20:30 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 06:13:42 pm »

Excerpt from the diary of Maskwolf Moistcrafts, self proclaimed lowly forgedwarf:

I don't know what came over me the other day, diary.  I was called upon to defend our new abode from the invaders, and as I went out to meet them I blacked out.  The others tell me I ran at them screaming vengeance and killed three of them, but I remember none of this.  The last thing I remember is fear and determination that they would not overrun us this time.

Speaking of the raid, damn, does my leg smart.  There's a reason I like to stay out of combat, you know.  It hurts.  Fortunately, the bugbear didn't hit me hard enough to break anything, but it still sucks.

I was recently informed by Truthtraded that I am to be a permanent part of our militia, ready to respond to immediate threats against the fortress.  While I highly admire those who would lay down their lives in defense of their kin, I fear that I am not one of those who is called to do so.  I will not question Truthtraded's judgement, as he is the leader of our group, but I just want to settle down as a smith, one among many, and raise a family with a loving wife.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:34:08 pm by 4maskwolf »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 07:22:50 pm »

To clarify, "Tosid" would be her family name.  Because she's not married, this should be changed to "Miss".  Her personal name is not "Tosid", but rather "Truthtraded".  Ergo, "Truthtraded says that I need to..." is correct impersonal use until she's married, in which case she may be "Mrs Tosid" (The surname comes first, you see?)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 07:29:07 pm »

Errr, that's rather confusing, so I'm going to stick with Tosid when referencing her in the logs and in game because I'm going to be tracking family lines by surname (for example, if Atir and Tosid got married, her surname would hyphenate to Trusttraded-Reinroom, and thier kids would take the surname of Reinroom.) It just easier for the job, and nearly all of the founders are friends anyway. Hope that makes sense.

How others go about that in any Rp/journals isn't my business though, so feel free to be indignant about it.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »

I worry about Nil, as he is somewhat on the cowardly side.[/i]

Has he proved himself by single-handedly killing an archer and helping to kill another enemy that attempted to escape?

Also, when you said you'd use no full suits of heavy armor, what exactly does that mean? I take it mail, helms, gauntlets, and boots are allowed, correct?
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 09:37:42 pm »

I worry about Nil, as he is somewhat on the cowardly side.[/i]

Has he proved himself by single-handedly killing an archer and helping to kill another enemy that attempted to escape?

Also, when you said you'd use no full suits of heavy armor, what exactly does that mean? I take it mail, helms, gauntlets, and boots are allowed, correct?

Nil killed zero enemies, but he did knock one over, who Maskwolf proceeded to then perform deconstructive facial surgery on and has killed numerous other things since the last update. Magma crabs squish good.

Typical uniform will consist of

Metal helmet (leather if no metal ones can be made/aren't available)
mail coif
Mail shirt/hauberk
Leather armor over said mail shirt
Leather trousers or chain leggings
cloth or silk shirt, cloak, and hood (they're made of fabric for theme reasons)
Metal hand and foot protection or leather high boots and gloves if resources are lacking for whatever reason
wooden shields to save on metals and weight
Melee weapon of the user's choice.

Marksdwarves will generally not have the boots or leggings (leather boots and leggings/trousers for them,) and don't get shields (again for theme; how many people do you know that can fire a full size crossbow one handed?)

The uniform provides full coverage for thoughts, is relatively light weight, and will do its job if made of the best materials. Except against arrows and bolts, because nothing will stop projectiles. Leather armor is used mainly because it's the minimum needed to prevent wrestling accidents and fits my newfound love of fast and deadly compared to the typical player's comparable tanks. plus it's more FUN when there's more risk for the militia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8