Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Castlefly: In need of time killer projects(.40.11+, Civilization Forge)  (Read 27389 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: Castlefly: The Hope of a Nation (.40.11+, Civilization Forge)
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 09:50:04 pm »

I worry about Nil, as he is somewhat on the cowardly side.[/i]

Has he proved himself by single-handedly killing an archer and helping to kill another enemy that attempted to escape?

Also, when you said you'd use no full suits of heavy armor, what exactly does that mean? I take it mail, helms, gauntlets, and boots are allowed, correct?

Nil killed zero enemies, but he did knock one over, who Maskwolf proceeded to then perform deconstructive facial surgery on and has killed numerous other things since the last update. Magma crabs squish good.

Typical uniform will consist of

Metal helmet (leather if no metal ones can be made/aren't available)
mail coif
Mail shirt/hauberk
Leather armor over said mail shirt
Leather trousers or chain leggings
cloth or silk shirt, cloak, and hood (they're made of fabric for theme reasons)
Metal hand and foot protection or leather high boots and gloves if resources are lacking for whatever reason
wooden shields to save on metals and weight
Melee weapon of the user's choice.

Marksdwarves will generally not have the boots or leggings (leather boots and leggings/trousers for them,) and don't get shields (again for theme; how many people do you know that can fire a full size crossbow one handed?)

The uniform provides full coverage for thoughts, is relatively light weight, and will do its job if made of the best materials. Except against arrows and bolts, because nothing will stop projectiles. Leather armor is used mainly because it's the minimum needed to prevent wrestling accidents and fits my newfound love of fast and deadly compared to the typical player's comparable tanks. plus it's more FUN when there's more risk for the militia.
Oops, read that wrong. Fixing journal now. As far as the armor goes, seems good to me. With my vanilla experience, full plate armor does serve some use: it makes a ranged attack survivable, but one can still knock out a full steel clad Dwarf, making them as good as dead. Another huge drawback is the decrease in response time, and if the Dwarf's inferior in armor skill, they'll easily pass out in combat trying to get back off the ground or run too far too fast. Also, I've lost a fair amount of armored Dwarves to falling in stagnant pools while too heavy to swim, the culprit: heavy armor. After this, I've limited armor to chain for widespread protection and plate (helms, gauntlets, boots) for extremities. What's good about your set-up is that it has full coverage, little encumbrance, and protects well. By the time a sword cuts through leather, mail, and skin, a killing strike will be a wounding strike, a crippling strike a flesh wound, and a passing blow will glance off entirely.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:53:50 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »

Errr, that's rather confusing, so I'm going to stick with Tosid when referencing her in the logs and in game because I'm going to be tracking family lines by surname (for example, if Atir and Tosid got married, her surname would hyphenate to Trusttraded-Reinroom, and thier kids would take the surname of Reinroom.) It just easier for the job, and nearly all of the founders are friends anyway. Hope that makes sense.

How others go about that in any Rp/journals isn't my business though, so feel free to be indignant about it.

It's for tracking bloodlines that I set it up that way - children wouldn't be getting longer and longer names over the generations, they'd merely inherit the more skilled or famous ones instead.  No worries though.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 11:10:23 am »

Log Entry 8

It is late hematite now, and amazingly enough, the river thawed, though it mostly just kind of... well, batters against the parts still frozen solid.

We've decided to leave any foes who come at us out to rot where they fall as well. Also, Minkot's taken it upon herself to use the last pine wood to make a weapon and armor stands, so we have somewhere to train when we're no longer hurting for dwarves to get things done.

Log Entry 9

I was rooting through the dead bugbears' remains when I found a sheet of paper in mangled commons that they were leaving a declaration of war here when we jumped them. We'll likely see small bands of them at least once a year, probably more often than that.

Oh, and Obok accidentally broke into the caverns.

At first she was going to seal it with a sack of blocks she'd made weeks ago, but then decided on using a door instead, so we can get at the silk to make a rope for a well. She also informed us Tosid, who was getting a spare door out of the forges and has become trapped by several magma crabs. Minkot has ordered us to get our weapons and told Maskwolf to come with us in a rescue operation.

We've never fought magma crabs before; I hope this isn't a grave mistake.

Log Entry 10

I have never been in so much pain before, nor has Tosid. We were both struck by bits of magma. Toside tried to shield herself with her hand and all of the fat has melted off her upper body, hand, and head. The fat on my upper body has melted off as well. Maskwolf was hit as well, but he was not nearly as bothered as either of us.

Both Tosid and I could do with bandaging but we're otherwise fine. The bulk of the crabs are dead, crushed into paste by Nil's warhammer, the last one skittering back into the magma, with us locking the door behind it. We've also been hearing the sounds of creatures talking and moving about near the cavern door. Tribals of some sort. My money's on trogs, maybe olm men.

Minkot wants us to assemble near the door and kill whatever is on the other side. Maskwolf protested being dragged into another fight, but Minkot insisted since he's shown the greatest promise as a soldier out of all of us.

When we returned from striking down the tribals, we found ourselves greeted by eight additional dwarves, many of them bearing skills at arms, or in the master mason's case, skill with... Well, his arms. Maskwolf now asks we discharge him so that others may take up arms in his place. Minkot's considering it.

Everyone else meanwhile has been unassigned in favor of the new blood. Four new squads have been set up (three melee, two of them vacant, and a marksdwarf squad.) Kulet, the marksdwarf, is now in charge of planting slime molds and plump helmets to keep us alive. The craftsdwarf Sazir has also noted we need a well, and would like to collect silk but is afraid of the troglodytes roaming around (as more have moved into the caverns; I swear, the things are like barons decades ago. In the meantime, we're going to be sifting through piles of weaponry to see if there's anything viable buried in all the junk for us to use.

Log Entry 11

Obok and Ilral are bringing bags of blocks down to the magma floor. Evidently Tosid is tired of looking at the copious piles of junk weapons and armor laying in that storage room. Also, Sazir (I forget which, pretty sure it's Clamrampart,) says the caverns are full of an ungodly stench. I asked her how she knew this and she said she'd been down there collecting silk for a rope to build a well.

After this is done, there are plans to dig out a more secure food storage and communal dining area, as well as get two smelters up and running to melt down all the excess armors we can't use.

Log Entry 12

The farms have been sown. Nearly everyone is less than happy though, to put it gently. Just to survive we will likely be living solely on plump helmets, slime molds, and water.

There's also been an announcement of getting an additional well tapping into the caverns, and even more bizarrely trying to siphon the aquifer into the magma. It may just be a pipe dream but I'm unsure of what such a project would even do, aside from maybe take out some fire snakes and magma crabs.

It's late Galena now, and the river has already frozen back over and the air carries bitter winds. Unicorns have been seen poking around, and Atir wants to set up cage traps to tame them, citing that they make for good stews and roasts as well as having valuable bones and horns.

Log Entry 13

Beds are being set up at long last. I was tired of sharing those three near the entrance. However Tosid says they're frist come first serve, so I'll probably be lacking a bad for a long time yet. It's the 1st of Limestone now, and I sense a rather unpleasent presence in the caverns. Or around us.

I don't know, either way. I'm feeling paranoid.

Log Entry 14

Sounds of something lumbering around outside the cave entrance has us all on edge. We're heading in there to deal with it, hopefully.
-
While some of us were asleep, Minkot lead most of us out. The noise was coming from two cave ogres. Wretched things they are. No sense of hygiene, slavering, and in general just plain unpleasant to look at, even in the dim light of the cavern fungi and mosses.

Uvash charged ahead, ducking punches and failing to get in hits of his own until Nil delivered a bone-shattering blow to the monster's leg. It went down and he didn't hesitate. He smashed his hammer right into its head. And then hit it again, and again, and again.

It took Nil, Maskwolf, Uvash, and Sazir all wailing on it for nearly ten minutes before its head finally lost all shape and collapsed in with a hit from Maskwolf's hammer.

Unfortunately, it was not without injury for us. Minkot kept the other ogre at bay while the others worked to end the first and didn't jump back far enough, resulting in her leg being shattered.

The others swarmed the ogre before it could kill her, Sazir planting her hatchet in the beast's chest and knocking it down after leaping from a rock while the others rushed around Minkot. After another 10 minutes of wailing on its head, once again Maskwolf got the fatal shot in.

The upper beds were quickly made an emergency hospital to tend to Minkot's ruined leg, with Clamrampart tearing down her clothier’s shop for a loom to make the inevitably needed stitches while Udil scooped Minkot up to bring her to safety. Clamrampart has volunteered to act as medical dwarf until someone better arrives.

Log Entry 15

The caravan comes on the 17th, with no shortage of sarcasm from Kulet. They look worse for wear and were ecstatic to spot our tiny yak herd and then us inside the shelter. They'd apparently been surviving by going between Vamarii settlements and hillocks, and when they saw the bugbear skeletons dotting the area they came from, they had assumed the worst and only planned to shack up here for a time.

Atir has volunteered to be our broker, since he didn't have anything better to do at the time. A small resupply of drink and barrels to store crops never hurts. The traders say they'll spread word of us to all the dwarves they meet, but to be wary of bugbears. They say that they've begun attacking the surviving hillocks far more recently.

Another update! Had a bit of a tussle and close calls this time around. Magma crabs, skiddish though they are, trapped Tosid and during the rescue, she, Mebzuth, and Maskwolf all took hits from freaking magma. The damn things don't shoot basalt anymore. Maskwolf wasn't bothered in the slightest (didn't even bleed that much,) while both Tosid and Mebzuth nearly bled to death while their fat melted. Killed a bunch of troglodytes, and most of the magma crabs too with Nil claiming majority by virtue of his hammer squishing them.

Minkot was pretty badly injured as well, with her leg getting busted up by a lucky shot. Damn cave ogres are a lot hardier in this version, but like anything if you whack it enough times with a hammer it'll die eventually. The fact Minkot isn't dead though is entirely due to us zerging the sumbitch. We got migrants, most of whom are in the militia including Gecko who is in charge of a squad of her own. Fitting name for a speardwarf too, “Bannerspear.” She's leading Uvash, Sazir... uh, the axe one, and Udil.

Maskwolf also blew his hopes of getting out of the militia be being a badassand shrugging off being blasted with magma  and crushing ogre heads (even if the latter was with help.) I will make an effort to get him that happy family though. :)

We now have a broker and CMD assigned, bedrooms finally being bedrooms, and the caravan is here to take away all this damned garbage gear (lessening the amount we need to melt down by a considerable margin hopefully,) and spread word of a new fortress to hole up in.

Oh, and I also found out the base game now comes with a “usable/unusable” sorting option when setting up armor stockpiles! Good thing. Cause setting those damned things up is a bitch.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »

Gecko Bannerspear
Castlefly region

Another day, another adventure. Shit, my mentor was an optimist indeed - the last month was hardly "thrilling", with all the bugbears deciding to raid our sorry asses near Merchantnourished. This place was a mess, but, at least, I could work there without fear of being pummeled in the face by lousy grunts' flails. What do I have now? This frozen shithole where the best job offered was a fisherworker. A fisherworker! At least, they had a fine spear for me to wield.

Whatever. Truth is, 3rd infantry battalion lost many brave dwarves that day, including it's commander, prince Ezum. Are there any noble dwarves deserving to take the throne left?

Such a strange name it is, Castlefly. The irony is, this place used to be an actual castle... And dwarfs flee here.

ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

Log Entry 16

The merchants were happy to take what we had to offer, and among the items we managed to get were two ingots of rare ward iron, one steel ingot, and one mithril ingot. These bars will got a long way to protecting us, and each will be fashioned into a helmet, save the steel bar which is being saved for a magma forge, same for an anvil we purchased.

Also I heard the exchange during Minkot's treatment, which for posterity's sake I'll record here, because I personally think it's funny.
-
Sazir: I have good news and bad news Minkot.
Minkot: What's the good?
S: Well, the good news is you don't need surgery and the damage isn't permanent; you have a minor fracture on you lower leg and your foot is dislocated.
M: And the bad?
S: The bad news is this is going to hurt. A lot.
M: -Proceeds to scream like banshee as Sazir fixes her foot and resets the bone.-
S: There! Now I just need to stitch you up and get you a crutch and you should be good to go!
-

Not long after Minkot was hobbling around, migrants arrived, half of them single dwarves who had no family to speak of, as well as the last remnants of the Roundgalley clan, Dakost, his wife Tirist, and Unib, their only child.

Log Entry 17

Caravan has departed, the lot of them heading southward, following the river. Hopefully we'll see them again next year.

A small metalworking station is being set up near the wagon, with the small amount of fuel hopefully being sufficient to make enough mail hauberks and such for all of us in the militia. Maskwolf asked Ilral to help work harden the iron when he started to act oddly.

Ilral took over the masonry shop, grabbed some verdanite and old pond grabber leather and set to work. The rest of us meanwhile, have simply gone about our business setting up the central dining hall. We're still trying to put all the old furniture to use, and a good deal of it is distressingly heavy.

Gecko has also starting rooting around inside and out, looking for old journals, remains, anything that might tell us about the dwarves who were here before us. Smart girl, since that may give us some insight as to what happened during that ancient beast's rampage and if anyone survived that didn't die ten years ago from old age.

Log Entry 18

Due to a shortage of pine, Tosid has decided we are to use featherwood for additional bed frames. Speaking of Tosid, she's been elected unofficial ruler and given the nicer rooms. He job as expedition leader basically makes her that anyway.

We've heard something banging on the cavern door, and we know the drill. Minkot's taken Rampartboar and Swordfainted to deal with whatever it is.
-
Apparently it was a troll. Sazir was happy to regale the fight (something is deeply wrong with that dwarf,) got the first hits in and wrecked its right arm and midsection. The trio gave chase and with Udil being somewhat speedier managed to mangle its right arm further when it got cornered. It shoved her out of the way and tried to flee and Minkot planted her spear in its leg, pinning it to the ground.

It then thrashed around, punching Udil with its good arm and getting its good hand lopped off for its trouble. When it swung the blood-spraying appendage at Sazir, she blocked the strike and chopped more of the left arm off at the elbow. Then she drove her hatchet into the beast's belly and lodged it in there.

It thrashed more and its horn caught Udil in the middle of her torso and left her with a deep bruise, and in response Sazir jerked her hatchet free, spraying blood and dragging out a trail of cyan and gray innards along with Minkot stabbing it in the face. Almost to the point of uncontrollable rage at this point, Udil shoved Minkot out of the way and slammed her falcion into the brute's head and ended the threat.

Days afterwards, some of us were trying to clean up the blood trails, make it a little harder for creatures to find the cavern entrance, when... When... Udil is dead. A voracious cave cralwer jumper her and while she fought back, it wasn't enough. I saw it tear her foot off and gnaw on her, and by the time I got there, she had already died.

I didn't let that offense go unanswered.

For the purposes of this log, that monster is called Rhymingsplatters. And it is dead by my blade. Until a catacomb can be made, Udil is going to have to be left where she fell, as we can't risk another excursion right now.

Log Entry 19

More bugbears, once again from the north. We're all angry over Udil's death, as she was friend to most of us. These cretins picked the worst time imaginable to attack. Minkot ordered all of us awake to form up at the entrance. As before, we'll ambush them in the woods.

We're all armed and ready. Minkot told us all to use what we felt best; Atesh and Ilral have grabbed a bright silver morningstar each and Gecko traded her spear for a hatchet (something about it being easier to grab in a hurry,) while Maskwolf and Nil traded hammers (as both had greater preference for the material the other was using.)

We marched out into the forest, but... After that I have no memory of what happened directly other than anger and the feeling of blade cleaving meat and bone. Ilral was closest and told me with grim tone what transpired.

I charged forward at the nearest bugbear and took out one of its legs when it tried to punch me and then planted my blade in its skull after swatting an arm out of my way. Ilral bashed down a scrawnier one who charged me from behind while I rammed my sword into the gut of a third attacker. While he continued to pound on his enemy, I tackled mine to the ground and smashed my blade into its wretched skull, spilling blood, bits of bone, and brain all across the crisp grass.

Ilral then delivered a killing strike and turned in time to see Uvash rush by and me leaping from a dead sapling and embedding my falcata into a bugbear marksman. The fool had rounded a tree and fired a wild shot. As my strike made it stagger, Uvash swung sideways and drove the bugbear headfirst into the ground with a hatchet in its skull.

Tirist had been out gathering wood to make bed frames and saw the killing and was utterly horrified.

We moved out from the treeline and saw the enemy, a swordbear barking for one of their number to turn around and fight. Uvash, gecko, and Nil surged forward and got between a spearbear and marksbear, the spearbear managing to disarm Uvash when it swung its spear as he tried to strike at the marksbear. Nil seized his chance and took the beast down with a blow to the inside of its thigh and a quick strike to the head.

As I followed out I saw the swordbear become angered with the one it yelled it, the bugbear having curled up in a ball, too scared and horrified to move.

Uvash unfortunately decided he could still fight and can no longer feel his left leg as a result. The swordbear charged into us and bowled over Nil and after a breif duel with the disarmed Uvash, took out both his legs. Gecko was grazed by a crossbow bolt, and Nil threw his hammer at the back of the swordbear's head, knocking it unconscious and likely saving Uvash's life.

Atesh delivered a fatal blow to the bastard's head while Nil collected his hammer. After surrounding the crossbowbear and it proving surprisingly light on its feet, Minkot finally slew the bastard who had indirectly gotten Uvash so grievously harmed. Nil began to act the same way as I did afterwards. Not to be left out, Uvash continued to drag himself forward, shouting he was going to force-feed the bugbears their own legs.

The last to fall was the hammerbear, who left me with a painful bruise on my leg. I had apparently asked Gecko and Uvash if they'd be alright, and Gecko said she may need stitches but she can't tell. Uvash meanwhile had said that he could do with patching up since he can't hold an axe anymore but otherwise he'd be fine and ready to fight again in no time.

I was surprised by this, since he's a generally dour individual, but since he can handle this sort of likely agonizing injury, none of us have any right to complain about bruises again. Nil dragged him into the fortress, complaining the whole way, but the fact he even bothered shows that Nil knows what's at stake.

|After reading that passage you can't help but whistle in amazement. Deep cuts in both legs and an arm would be fatal to most, but clearly that dwarf had been made of much sterner stuff than you thought possible.|

Log Entry 20

In recognition of his bravery and, well, bullheadedness in the face of adversity, he moved his belongings into a room with a nicer bed made of silverwood, and for helping him Nil was allowed to take the now vacant one. With luck we'll all be housed before the spring migrations.

Also, we've had to scrap our initial tomb complex plans and go for a simpler one due to an unforseen cavern breech.

We'll plug the opening to keep trolls and trogs or cave swallows from getting in after we remove the marble. We need to get Swordfainted buried.

Well holy shit, lookit this here update, we lost a dorf and one was seriously injured! And even more amazingly nobody flipped the fuck out over the death, because that dwarf was actually well liked by around half of the fortress including most if not all of the founders.

So we got our first mood, killed a bunch of shit (why do they keep coming from up north? There's nothing up there...) dug out bedrooms, got the militia set up with some more targes and some of the leather parts of their uniforms, the captains and Minkot all have shiny new helmets, and Tosid was made unofficial ruler.

All in all? Pretty fun for so little happening! Kinda bummed about Uvash's leg since he'll have an attack penalty lugging a crutch around with a shield or axe in the same hand now but no dwarf that badass can be let out of the militia. I'm also going to start including some of that initial narration with “|” indicating the text is of the treasure seekers/adventurers.

And just so you know Monitor, your dwarf traded the spear for the hatchet. I have everyone set to use whatever they damn well please. Maskwolf and Nil trading hammers was a little bizarre though.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »

I really want to make Minkot's journal entries but i can't currently seeing as i'm sick and they would most likely probably come out as a jumbled mess. Gonna have to wait till i'm better and i'll be putting hers (I can't wait to make them personally)
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 09:16:53 pm »

Well, quite a bit has happened, so I think I should write the next journal entry for Nil.

The Defense

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:17:26 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:11 pm »

Log Entry 21

Troglodytes are infesting the cavern where Udil is. We're sending someone out to recover the body, and hopefully we won't need to spill more blood to recover a corpse. I would also like to say Clamrampart is an amazingly prompt physician; Uvash is already up and about and it's only been a few days!

Recovery of the body has also gone off smoothly. She has been interred with headstone and everything.

Log Entry 22

In order to promote formation of families, the dining hall is now an official meeting and merrymaking place, and Dakzes has been set up topside to serve a similar role (with more statues to be added later.) We've also got the bookkeeping and management quarters dug and working on furnishing them.

|”Hmm. Hey, Ari.” You say looking up from the log book.

“What is it?” A burly fellow with a goatee responds, looking up from writing in his own journal. “Find something in that old book?”

You shake your head. “Dunno. But there should be a set of small offices a few halls over. Take Ravod and see if you can find a ledger or something. Dwarven bookies always seem to be psychics when it comes to what will be in the fortress, so it may tell us what's still available to take.”

Ari closes his journal and bags it, grunting in affirmation as he gets up. “Sounds like a plan. I'll let you know if we find anything. Any idea which office?”

You shake your head. “No, unfortunately. Drawing doesn't have'em labeled. And please do. I'll be here.” With that, you go back to the log book.|

Log Entry 23

Stonefalls are being put in place to hopefully dissuade any curious creatures from coming any further into the fortress. We're also putting up a proper hospital around the eventual well (we've been putting that off for far too long, and Clamrampart is making a rope now.) Hopefully it'll be enough. I heard all sorts of horror stories about fortress with under equipped hospitals.

There has also been more banging on the door. Probably a cave crawler looking to make a meal of us.

Sazir, Nil, and Ilral are heading down to deal with it.
-

Sazir was happy to tell me about the fight. Apparently it smashed the door to pieces and wrecked the other Sazir's loom and was working on a door to the dining hall(!) when she got to it. Apparently she ran down the ramp screaming bloody murder and whacked it in the head with her hatchet. Twice.

Log Entry 24

Gecko found documentation of her relation to the royal line (she is related through her grandmother who was aunt to the last ruler,) and has assumed the throne after discussing the matter with us and showing her evidence. Sadly while the evidence is accurate, we do know her grandmother died in this place, as the documents were stained a redish brown from decades-old blood.

May Queen Bannerspear's rule be long and prosperous! She should probably work on getting an heir soon, what with her being one of the militia. She's also gone through Atir's records of the caravan and listed off who she wants to do what (mostly to avoid the hassle of digging additional accommodations for a noble and general.)

She and Tosid amicably changed rooms, and now our concern is getting her bedroom and dining arrangements up to snuff.

LOG TWO-FIVE

I KNOW WHAT I MUST DO.

LEATHER. GEMS. FABRIC.

LEATHER. MAGMA CRAB CHITIN WILL DO.

GEMS. ROUGH PURPLE SPINLES. YES.

FABRIC.

MUST FIND FABRIC. NEVER ENOUGH FABRIC. I MUST HAVE PLANT FIBER CLOTH YOU LOUTS. I MUST MAKE THIS FOR THE QUEEN!

|“Well. That's different.” You mutter to yourself. Clearly this dwarf had gone off his rocker.|

-The next three pages don't include a log entry notices, only constant demanding for plant fiber fabric until you see it.-

WEB LICHEN FIBER. ODD LOOKING. GOOD ENOUGH.

Log Entry 25

I uh... I apparently... A thing. Out of magma crabs and lichen fiber. Mitten.

i

I don't even... There aren't any records of a frost giant attack on Castlefly... Anywhere really. This had to have happened after that monster ransacked it.

Log Entry 26

Gecko was bored today and decided at lunch that we're not allowed to sell harps. Everyone looked at her like she grew an extra head and Uvash asked her what harps. She said back “Exactly.” And two competing parties are now in progress as well, and the silverwood is being put to use finishing out some furnishings for Gecko's room. There is a matter of her tomb, but for now that isn't important; besides, there's both gold and silver ore in the land here, she can take her pick.

Also it seems Gecko is by Traditional Law (I found a book in a pile of bones near the forges on the subject,) she is barred from serving in the militia in a unit without a leader, and cannot herself lead a militia unit. And since she has by becoming queen stupidly left her squad leaderless, she's going to serve under Ilral now. I gave her the glove I made and made sure she had her ward iron helmet. Only the best for the queen after all!

Log Entry 27

According to Gecko some of the last occupants of Castlefly were goblins. Certainly explains the prevalence of their bones in the place. Aban's immortalized the massacre in carved stone in Gecko's dining hall. Speaking of massacres, there's a strangely large number of references to frost giants in Aban's artwork. She says she had dreams of the battles, meaning there was obviously something very important here if the frost giants, raiders, and goblins all fought here.

But then there was... Well. I don't know what to think of this, but it does explain a lot.

This used to be a Frost Giant keep.

Log Entry 28

Migrants have come, among them several brave dwarves willing to fight for our country's future. We also now have a manager in one Shorast Joinedpaper. Due to her departure from leading, Trusttraded is taking over as bookkeeper. There is also the famed Armorer Sigun Distantbridge, one of a painful few Forgemasters. With here are several other armorers who are likely survivors of the Leafsyrup Smith's Guild.

There's mutterings some of us are to begin full-time training soon.

I just had to post one more for ya guys, cause this just keeps getting better and better.

Gecko is now our queen, turns out at some point this was a Frost Giant fortress our country took over, Aban has an unhealthy obsession with frost giant history, a troll died, a door got smashed, our military is now 16 strong counting the ammo-less marksdwarves, and I made a mitten!

Now, I will get some things out in the open about the lichens, among other things. First, yaks, giant beetles, cave crabs, and dogs all have the [NOFEAR] tag and are all trainable (the yaks were the only ones made trainable, the others already were) as I intended to field lots of angry yaks to make up for our lack of numbers. Obviously this isn't happening at present.

Before gen, I made feathers count for shells in case of a mood demanding them, and as an after thought after embark, I allowed web lichens to be processed for fiber because I remember a mod that had something named web lichen processable for thread as well as be milled into blue cooking powder. This was a precaution in case we needed it and it turns out it was the smart thing to do, even if it wasn't the dwarf I was expecting to mood and a little cheaty. I figured we wouldn't have any plant cloth handy and there was enough web lichens around that in an emergency we could send out an herbalist.

So that's out of the way. And on the upside, I can produce some of the cloth components for our uniforms now. Oh and we also have gauntlets but nobody is wearing them, and won't until I set the gear to replace their civvies. And yes, our old capital was indeed called Leafsyrup. It was even available for reclaim.

For reference it is now mid-slate of the second year at the end of the update.

I really want to make Minkot's journal entries but i can't currently seeing as i'm sick and they would most likely probably come out as a jumbled mess. Gonna have to wait till i'm better and i'll be putting hers (I can't wait to make them personally)

No worries man, rest up and all that and make sure you watch your grammar. ;)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Castlefly: Long Live the Queen! (.40.11+, Civilization Forge)
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 03:27:59 am »

Gecko Bannerspear
Castlefly region

There've been a number of alerts recently - troll assault, another cave incident, and then a group of bugbears attacking from the north. Vicious creatures they are... Couldn't find my spear at the moment, so I had to grab a hatchet instead. Didn't fare too well with it though. One of the savages managed to scratch my arm with an arrow, so I had to have it bandaged. Well, nobody said field archeology would be easy.

I've been thinking about prince Ezum recently... He was a brave dwarf, but it didn't help him against waves and waves of enemies that decided to obliterate Merchantnourished. The fate of our royal line attracted my interest, and I decided to look through the books I had found here. Some of them are in dwarven, but there are many scrolls that seem to be created by frost giant scribes... Some of those inscriptions look rather archaic, and I've spent much time trying to translate it (frost giants language isn't my strong indeed, not to mention it's ancient version).

While doing my studies, I found something really fascinating... I've known before about my relation to dwarven nobility - duchess Viper of Bannerspear was my grandmother. But, at the same time, I wasn't aware of the fact she travelled to Castlefly. She might have found a refuge here during the Great war. And, after that, I also found out she was a relative of the last ruling king.

I brought the results of my recearch to the fortress council. Wasn't really waiting for anything. But, all of a sudden, they proclaimed me the queen.

So, now I am the ruler of this country... Un-fucking-believable. The Book of Royal Ceremonial (this one was quite an old manuscript) said that I had to pass the first law right after coronation, so, just to comply with the tradition, I had to impose a ban on exporting harps. We don't have any of those anyway... So, I think it would be quite important now to search for my other relatives. Also, I'll have to choose whether I will remain in the military or leave it. This issues should be discussed by the fortress counsil as soon as possible.

OOC: Splint, can you post information about Geckos relatives and friends?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:50:35 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 05:18:46 am »

THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!!! :)
Does she even have a husband, or lover?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 09:36:17 am »

@ Monitor - No relatives to speak of, leaving all that nice and open for whatever. Friends are quite shockingly nonexistent. She's on friendly terms with just about everyone excepting the new arrivals, but there's nobody she considers an actual friend. Maybe it's because she has no indoor voice when greeting people ("She greets others very loudly"...) She also worships Tobul, dwarf god of minerals and Doren, dwarf goddess of metals. I have a suspicion in our nation's mythology the two deities are married.

On that note, here's what I have observed among our gods so far; there may be more.

Gods depicted as male dwarves
Kat: God of War and Fortresses
Tobul: God of Minerals
Avuz: God of Jewels

Gods depicted as female dwarves
Doren: Goddess of Metals
Lurit: Goddess of Mountains
Limar: Goddess of Wealth
Sanad Boarambers: Goddess of Agriculture, Rain, Light, and Rainbows (not kidding; also seems least worshipped.)

The vast majority of the fortress seems to favor the worship of Tobul, as he is the most widely spread deity worshipped (being worshipped by what seems to be a little over half of the population if not more.) Sanad appears to have only a tiny number of followers (4 out of 39 residents,) among them Nil the hammerdwarf and the newly arrived doctor which is oddly fitting. Doren also seems to be heavily favored. Lurit, Kat, and Avuz all seem to be worshipped in equal measure, and oddly Lurit and Kat are a common combination.

This leads me to believe Doren and Tobul are our chief gods and trying times have lead to Kat and Lurit being looked to for guidance and safety. Considering many surviving dwarves are generally belligerent and sour people, this isn't a shocker.

THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!!! :)
Does she even have a husband, or lover?

She does not, hence my trying to get people to pair off and start making babies. The fact this fort has roughly 40 fucking floors between meeting areas isn't helping, and many dwarves seem content to stay in thier rooms or do thier jobs even with party locations.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 02:55:14 pm »

I just noticed that Nil worships Kat, the God of WAR and fortresses, and Sanad Boarambers, the Goddess of agriculture, rain, light and RAINBOWS. Anyone else find it odd?
Retired/Extended Sigs

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 04:26:01 pm »

I just noticed that Nil worships Kat, the God of WAR and fortresses, and Sanad Boarambers, the Goddess of agriculture, rain, light and RAINBOWS. Anyone else find it odd?

Clearly Nil is the sort of dwarf who likes their warfare set in a pleasant and calming locale.

Fountains of blood and ribbons of gore in a scenic meadow with a little brook and some butterflies and so on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »

Clearly Nil is the sort of dwarf who likes their warfare set in a pleasant and calming locale.

Fountains of blood and ribbons of gore in a scenic meadow with a little brook and some butterflies and so on.
Perhaps... But maybe it means rainbows in a metaphorical sense, like a rainbow always comes after the storm. Something good always follows something bad. Then again, I don't think Dwarves worship metaphors. Can't deny that what you said sounds quite nice, though.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »

Log Entry 29

Spring and much of summer is likely to be spent clearing away and storing all the various odds and ends left in storage. It will be nice to not trip over such things anymore. It will likely be some time before I write again.

In the meantime, Gecko has handed out orders to put the numerous potato eyes we have laying around to use and sow them in the forest. Potatoes are much like dwarves, able to survive and sometimes thrive even in the most inhospitable environs. And I must say.

The mountain avens look beautiful this time of year. And nobody who reads this can judge me, they're mountain plants damn it, I'm allowed to appreciate them.

Log Entry 30

Gecko's mandates are surprisingly easy to manage from what I understand. She forbade the export of querns (something we wouldn't sell anyway unless we had to,) and mandate the production of exactly one. And since we had no querns before this is actually a smart move on her part.

Of course I also noticed that she carries around a small bag full of slips of paper, so I think she just pulls one out and mandates whatever the paper says when she's bored.

Log Entry 31

Another band of raiders. Minkot assembled most of us and gave a small speech, which I will record here before we set out.
-
“Alright everyone, the time has come once again! For some of you, this is now routine: These ugly brutes show up, we fight them. For the rest, this will be your trial by fire  in this militia. Don't worry. Keep each other covered and stay light on your feet, and we should all walk away from this in one piece. Trusttraded was felling a tree when they came and she's certain for once we have numbers on our side as well.

We're heading into the forest to the south-southeast, and we're going to ambush them there. This plan's worked twice before, and it'll work again. And watch your step. The river thaws around this time of year.”
-

We go. There's snowfall blowing in from the west. The air outside is bitter to the skin and frost lingers on us mandorfs' beards.

Log Entry 32

I now record the events of the battle, so all who find this know of our heroism.

Sazir lead the charge this time and clashed with a swordbear, striking for the neck but failing to place her weapon properly. She staggered the fool though, and when he swung his khopesh, the first strike was handily parried and the next saw his hand fly away, khopesh still in its grip.

Gecko called out to her to watch out and she narrowly avoided being run through with a crudely made pike, jumping away from the swordbear's swung round shield and parrying the pike and lashing out but to no avail. Ilral and gecko meanwhile set upon the wounded swordbear.

Her majesty claimed first kill, jamming her hatchet into the bugbear's neck and viciously tearing towards herself, the swordbear's head rolling away with spurts of blood. Sazir meanwhile dodged a charge from the pikebear and the attacker smashed into Ilral, the two tangling together in a heap.

After this I remember nothing, as my shield arm was smashed by a macebear.

I'm told Gecko killed the pikebear, and Uvash and Sazir saved me from certain death.

I was however still unfortunate, as I was shot by a stray arrow. My leg still hurts. Ilral was credited with ending the macebear. Sazir claimed the next Bugbear, cutting off its foot and then beheading it. Nil and Uvash had by that point entered the same strange trance as others of us have.

A second Pikebear charged for them and Nil swung his hammer on sheer reflex and shattered one of the raider's hands, the force of the blow sending its weapon into the dirt and him on its face due to the sudden leverage. Nil then bashed the bugbear in the head, sending its helmet flying and Uvash decapitated it. Mostly. According to Sazir, his hatchet went in with a dull thunk and it was held on only be a hunk of skin and meat.

Uvash and Nil have proven to be a frightening duo; as a macebear charged Nil rushed forward and used the spike on the back of his hammer to wrench the macebear around, while Uvash lept at it from behind and buried his hatchet in its neck, nearly popping off its head when he pulled it free.

Sazir claimed the next two, lopping bugbear archer heads off without much effort, especially once Nil and Ilral had broken their legs. Atesh killed the next, her morningstar becoming lodged in a bugbear hammerman's head. Uvash ended the siege with one well placed cut from his hatchet, the last bugbear's head tumbling away without much ceremony.

Zefon, one of the new arrivals and recently appointed militia captains was the one to bring me to the hospital, where Id and Clamrampart tended my injuries. Mercifully I didn't suffer any nerve damage or need surgery, but I'll be unable to fight for a few weeks at least. Minkot also has Maskwolf making new weapons for us out of what wrought iron we have left, citing that our unhardened iron ones were insufficient to punch through the scale armor of the bugbears.

Log Entry 33

It's been roughly three weeks since the battle. Migrants have come, and plans for a seige battery are being discussed. Since the enemy's attacks have been consistent thus far, Doduk and Tobul have suggested we build ballistae in the forest loaded with pine bolts, with enough to fire north and south.

Two migrants have joined the militia, and everyone is ecstatic one is a brewer. Alcohol flows again! And good thing too. We were all sick of water. Sure, it's mainly plump helmet wine supplemented with vodka but still.

Nil, Minkot, and Sazir went down to the caverns. Clamrampart heard a troll wailing on the door. Again. Between the three of them it was over in seconds according to Sazir.

Goodwhip was behaving oddly as well. He took over a crafting shop, took some stones, uncut gems, and featherwood and made quite a nice scepter actually.

The miners are also looking into harvesting as much gold as they can manage from an exposed vein, and some galena is being melted down to make silver furnishings for Gecko's rooms. Even with the floors engraved they aren't quite the right value yet. But the battle and having her production mandates met are keeping her happy. Someone also suggested adding a set of gear assemblies, axles, and other such things to give her rooms a more industrialized feel. There has also been no human caravan despite us passing several human towns. The god damn bugbears probably quashed that.

Log Entry 34

Construction plans have begun on the ballista battery in earnest, with parts and a small sum of ammo readied and I've finally regained the use of my right arm. I've also gotten a new wrought iron falcion to replace my venerable old falcata. Hopefully the next bugbears who end up on the receiving end of our new weapons won't be able to depend on their copper scales.

For now, an opening has been made in the north wall to make construction easier, with a small set of pressure activated weapon traps. We also scrapped enough bright silver together to make Minkot a mail hauberk, and she's quite pleased with her new wrought iron spear.

Log Entry 34

So much for the caravan this year. We go once more into the biting snow.

Log Entry 35

WE. WIN.

Okay, so no detail on the goblin fight. After multiple fucking retries (because I'd rather not pick a new narrator because for some reason the hammergoblins loved killing Mebzuth,) we won. The fifth time around the worst injury was a gutshot from a crossbow bolt and lots of bruises (some down to the bone,) as well as someone who got stabbed in the chest getting torn skin andUshrir being a moron and not getting a weapon, which I found good enough.

Sorry if it seems like a cop out reverting over and over, but I got really frustrated with Mebzuth dying four times in a god damn row, with him always being the first one dead, but not the first one to pass out. After the fourth time I just wanted them dead and took away the goblins' hammers so they'd stop fucking smashing his toes. No I am not exaggerating. They kept breaking one of his toes and then killing him when he passed out (compared to others in the multiple retries who got stabbed, shot, or had arms and legs broken and kept fighting.) I wouldn't have even cared if it wasn't just him every single time to the same two hammergoblins. Gecko, Minkot, and several others didn't participate due to either distance or being asleep.

Anyway, building crap, migrants, more crap, I'm sorry. The goblins just left me really fucking aggravated. I admit I cheated, it's over and done with and it will not be discussed. First priority is building the fucking battery wall so I won't need to a second time because this wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn’t arrived when they did with a big fuck-all hole in the wall.

Oh and they'll be attacking a lot because they declared war on us too.

Our civ's sole major settlement is oh so happily planted in a place where two out of four neighbors want us dead. If the humans and vamarii declare war on us I'm calling bullshit and assuming they're in league with the bugbears and goblins.

Anyway another update's in progress to make up for this one. Whatever happens in the next one happens. Stay tuned.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8