Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Castlefly: In need of time killer projects(.40.11+, Civilization Forge)  (Read 27671 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castlefly: Long Live the Queen! (.40.11+, Civilization Forge)
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 08:22:40 am »

I hope the caverns can be sealed off in a buildingdestroyer-proof way, because that web beast will wipe out the fort.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 11:32:33 am »

i would like to claim a dwarf, Oddom if no one's got her yet

If you mean the one in the militia, consider her yours.

I hope the caverns can be sealed off in a buildingdestroyer-proof way, because that web beast will wipe out the fort.

That particular layer may be isolated, but I have plans to use the arbalestiers to kill the thing (using one soldier to distract it and the rest to shoot the fuck out of it through application of fortifications, a drawbridge/hatch, and a sacrificial goose.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:02 pm »

Log Entry 56

Gecko had apparently put herself at great risk to find out what's been thumping around in the caves, and she says it seems to be trailing webs which means sending us meleedwarves against it would be suicide. Instead, she wants our marksdwarves and a sacrificial animal to deal with the beast; it can only fire webs in one direction, so while it's busy webbing one part of the squad, the other can shoot it.

We're also due to have new barracks constructed for us; a proper training space would go a long way to improving morale around here, because a lack of enemies (aside from the damned cold; Father Frost is an ever present irritant up here,) to face has left many of us bored. And the one thing some of us could do to relieve it is too deadly for us to fight ourselves.

Log Entry 57

A mason is behaving oddly, Tosid Roadwilds to be specific. He took over a craftsdwarf shop and has started gathering materials, all while screaming some sort of freakish black speech. Some ask why he uses a craftsdwarf shop, and it's been pointed out that engravers often use craftsdwarf shops for their great works.

Log Entry 58

Our friend... Obok... She's dead. She volunteered to open the breach to lure in the  abomination. However her death was not in vain. She attacked the beast while the drawbridge meant to save the miner who would open the cavern closed, keeping the beast at bay long enough to avert disaster.

However the plan did manage to backfire spectacularly when it was found none of the marksdwarves brought ammo. This means we need to drop another animal in to lure the beast and we need to be sure the godsdamned marksdwarves bring ammo. I swear if it wasn't for the webs I'd kill the thing myself.

On a happier note, Ducim Wallpleat and Uvash have been declared “Knights of the Realm” which is a fancy way of  declaring them a Mace and Axe Lord respectively. The marksdwarves have assumed their positions again, this time with their munitions, so a peahen is going to be pitched into the tunnel in the hope that the beast will come. Of course the marksdwarves have to deal with the stink of a rotting chicken but still.

Log Entry 59

I hate marksdwarves. They are easily the most incompetent fucks I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. Considering not all of them were webbed there's no excuse for any of them to have not fired a shot. The siege engineers have gotten to work setting up a deadfall in the hop of crushing the monster into paste. I hope that the next fight we get in includes plenty of enemy archers, and that they kill every single member of The Gloved Barricades.

Log Entry 59

Roadwild went insane. Apparently there wasn't enough of... Something. He will be missed, but whatever he would have made won't be.

| “Wow.” You say aloud. Some of the others look over to you, and Snang pipes up “Wow wot?”

“Well, the person writing these logs seems to have become... Well, a bit of an ass in this second book. Apparently some of their crossbowmen didn't do their jobs and now he's wishing they'll die in a battle.”

“Wow.” Snang says. “Wot a dick”|

Log Entry 60

Stupid beast fell for it! Lorbam Basementshots gets technical credit as she threw the level when she heard the beast coming. Hopefully this one will get butchered in a timely manner, that's a lot of meat to let go to waste.

Log Entry 61

Our invalid macedwarf is lamed for life it seems. She complained constantly of being to injured to do basic tasks. So I took care of it and locked her in an unused room. Nobody knows I am responsible, and hopefully it will stay that way until my death. On that note, Roadwild has finally expired, found curled up in an unmoving ball under a table in the dining hall.

Log Entry 62

Seems Atis' plan of training yaks for battle wasn't as stupid as the rest of us thought. One was killed by sheer numbers, but we dealt with them handily afterward. Asmel has also finally expired, and whoever found her reported it to Guard Captain Grim as a suicide.

Alright, due to three deaths I feel a short lil update is a good thing.

Apparently every single miner is suicidal. Obok got killed and Atis nearly so (her neck got messed up by her own stupidity involving a drawbridge,) because they didn't think that silly things like not going back to the hole they just made were smart. So we're now down a founder. Thankfully, wasn't anyone's lover. Also our marksdwarves have no idea how to use their weapons despite having ammo, a kill order, and not being webbed. They apparently need the option of running at things to know they need to kill it.

So after building a cave-in trap using a chest and throwing in a peahen, (after two redos due to failing to hook something up like a moron,) that web flinging fuck is dead. Also Asmel Manorglade was actually unable to use her hands, so I locked her up and threw away the key until she expired from dehydration. It's cruel but this isn't the Western World; someone who literally can't work and barely fight is just a drain on resources and will be dealt with accordingly.

On the plus side, we had our first deaths by stupidity and madness! And where the fuck are the goblins and bugbears? I'm worried the militia will end up too good by the time they come for us again. So, does anyone have any ideas for something to kill time until we get to see a battle?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »

Set up some decontamination chambers, one at the cavern entrance, one at the surface entrance. That way the fort won't be wiped out so easily by kitten rot FBs/titans.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:05 pm »

I can't really do so without delving into things I'd rather not touch, specifically moving fluids and machinery requiring drains, pumps, and power that can't be provided (last time I tried to use windmills in a cold place the damned things locked up, and the river is frozen for 10 months out of the year and the pine and feather trees, world updates, and other such things are playing hell with FPS as it is.) Titans I'm not worried about because I'm fairly certain I genned the world with very few of them.

FBs are a worry, but I'm going to set up an additional cave in trap at the lower layer so I can smash the ones too dangerous to face (fire/webs/gas/blood.) ANything with deadly gas or blood is a do-not-engage situation regardless as all my titans and FBs with such syndromes have been universally consisting of extreme swelling followed by death by swelling-induced necrosis if they haven't been killed by the monster.

EDIT: Any ideas that don't require moving fluids anyone? I mean i will admit I'm considering an obsidian farm since we have the aquifer to provide the water safely but otherwise moving anything not solid is right out. Maybe something we can do to the glacier to the east?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:49 pm »

Nil

The Hammer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:39 am »

Gecko Bannerspear
Castlefly region

Our fortress suffered losses recently. A miner was killed by a Forgotten beast, and two other dwarves, driven by insanity, died of thirst. It seemes a bit suspicious they met their end almost simultaneously, so I ordered Grim Portent, a young and capable officer, to look into those incidents more carefully.

The circumstanses of the first two tragedies seem clear, but those of the last one... How could a dwarf with both hands broken lock the door from the inside without a key? There are only two options: she must have either used a latch or broken the lock itself. The key is gone, but Grim was able to open it with a lockpick. And the latch seemed to be up all the time... And those footprints. She tied to knock open the door, but failed. Then she sat there...

Somebody locked her inside.

This is horrible. We have no clues that can lead us to the criminal right now. I told Grim to stay sharp and and watch everyone closely, especially counsil members - it was much easier for them to get the key.

ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2014, 11:34:27 am »

Posting to watch and to read.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2014, 10:19:54 pm »

Log Entry 63

Booze supply is nonexistent. Thew brewers never seem able to keep pace with demand or run out of barrels, and we need a constant stream of rock instruments being made in the event Gecko mandates more of those fucking harps. Seriously. I actually think our main export is soon going to switch from “junk we can't use” to “schist flutes, gabbro drums, granite piccolos, and verdanite trumpets.” And harps if Gecko ever lifts the export ban for longer than a week.

On a less sober note and one that guarantees continued sobriety, refugees have arrived, and Mayor Udib isn't a complete fool. She's been mandating barrels as of late, which is a surprisingly sound decision. Also due to the number of potential Militiadwarves among the applicants, Minkot's decided to go over the Queen's head and establish another squad. With these new dwarves we sit at 106 including the dwarflings. Far more than I was expecting to find us.

A giant ant queen was captured, though where I don't know; word is there's some to the south, and some in the eastern caverns. I've also heard the masons plan on building some kind of floor mural using the green marble the miners uncovered digging the tombs, as part of a vault for coins and valued treasures.

Log Entry 64

One of the new arrivals began acting strangely and took over a craftsdwarf shop. I saw her claim a hunk of gabbro so it's clear she aims to become a stonecrafter. I've also found a rather odd mandate with a poor approximation of Gecko's signature ordering the production of some 40 or 50 coffins and requisite headstones. The masons are complying, if only for something to do while they wait for enough green marble to be mined to build their mural (though I've heard talk of using it for statues instead for the the vault and ordering celestial marble from the hinterlands nearby instead.)

Udib seems to  keep close tabs on the smiths sometimes. Once her most recent low boot mandate was fulfilled she immediately handed out a production order for more barrels. As of this second paragraph in this entry, Thob has begun her life's work using two hunks of gabbro, an iron bar left in the depot, and some smokey quartzes.

Log Entry 65

Thob has finished her great work! I must say I'm impressed, and a little flattered since the chitin mitten I made share's the front face, underneath the former monarch's ascension to the throne. And even better, the thing isn't the usual melange of colors that look garish or just plain obnoxious together.

And even better, two things have happened: Ravencave is now an Axe Lord by decree of Queen Bannerspear as of her last inspection, and a caravan from The Wispy Realm has arrived! They all seem to be wearing odd ruffles or something.

Hope they like schist flutes and gabbro drums. Among the items they brought to trade were barrels of various beers and wines we can't even hope to obtain here on our own due to the climate; I hope they brought seeds! I'm fairly certain we're all sick and tired of plump helmet wine and vodka. The moonglow is so popular it's hard to keep any appreciable quantity around, though I hear  Urvad's been stashing some away for a rainy day so to speak.

Atir was able to pawn off a good bit of remaining junk items and several drums, flutes, and piccolos for the brews, some two-grain what and strawberry seeds, and red dye. Someone somewhere's been wanting crimson and redroot dye for some twisted reason. Maybe so if any of us get hurt we won't see the blood?

Log Entry 66

Humans like stone flutes and drums it seems. And more refugees have arrived. I've also noticed we have a disproportionately high number of axedwarves in the militia.

I have to wonder why axes are so popular; the elves have never wronged our nation and it's typically in response to them that we make use of them as weapons of war. If anything purpose-built tools should be most used, like spears or war hammers (unlike those work hammers, a war hammer is meant for mangling bugbears!) And on that note, I'm wondering where the hell these dwarves are even finding them. Even the small number Maskwolf made included there wasn't many of them in the place.

A proper training space is being prepared for both the new melee squad and the marksdwarves so that hopefully they'll know which end of the damned arbalests they're supposed to use on the enemy, and to give the masons some additional busywork a bridge for the summer thaw is bing constructed. To help facilitate the marksdwarf training, the forgotten beasts' bones are being put towards ammo production on Minkot's orders. I'm pretty sure they blew through whatever training ammo they had ages ago anyway. There's also been yet another birth, via you guessed it, the Whispercastles, a little boy (for once,) named Dastot. That boy has a bright future with a name like “Sword.”

Log Entry 67

I've found out through observation that Captain Grim is looking into Asmel's death. I'm going to need to hide the logbook with that information in it, otherwise I may be forced to deal with the Fortress Guard.

So what happened this update? Baby, refugees, mood, humans (yay!) arrived with all manner of more exotic brews, some of which we may be able to make come next year! We now have multiple weapon masters, some minor projects are underway, the coin/artifact vault is dug, tombs furnished with plenty of coffins (enough for around half the populous,) I've let the weavers do whatever the fuck they feel like in the hopes of some  getting killed, and a marble stockpile has been set up.

Now the question is what to do with all that marble we have from mining the tombs? Who ordered all those coffins and slabs made and why do they want to dye everything red? And will Asmel's murderer ever be caught?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 10:42:17 pm »

Hey, this is cool.  ptw
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 11:44:29 pm »

Your kind words give me purpose good sir. I want to note I've capped migrations because far, far more have arrived than I had anticipated. I figured around 70-80 would come, not 100+ we have. I was also actually hoping for a vampire for once and thus for zero luck. I'm also going to check progress triggers. maybe making a bunch of shiny crap out of gold and pawning it off on the caravans this fall will prompt more assaults.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »

I'll claim Catten Oilsizzle, no need to change the name. Could I get a status of this dwarf?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2014, 02:57:55 pm »

I'll claim Catten Oilsizzle, no need to change the name. Could I get a status of this dwarf?

Yeah, you might want a different one because they just got chewed on by a giant ant.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2014, 04:27:44 pm »

Is Ilral Glowpages not dead yet?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »

Out of Character post:
I don't see why you set a pop cap. If this is the capital, all Dwarves should be able to come here. Also, making gold crafts is the most efficient way to gain wealth in this situation, if I'm correct.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8