Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Idea: Dwarf Fortress on Crack  (Read 3753 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Idea: Dwarf Fortress on Crack
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress from Scratch was pretty interesting to me, but I didn't want to get entangled in a game that had been running for a long time. This very shortly led to my idea: A succession fortress where each save file gets modded each time it gets passed on, resulting in ever-larger amounts of fun. Who's game?

The rules for this would be:
  • No mods that make the game trivially easy, i.e. making all dwarves have adamantine skin, [NOPAIN], et cetera.
  • No mods that instantly or near-instantly kill fortresses, such as cats suddenly being made of magma.
  • The mod should be an appreciable change, instead of something like giving elves slightly higher strength or something.
  • There should be a minimum of one addition and one modification of an existing feature for each pass.
  • Don't tell people about what you added for extra !!FUN!!.
  • Let's limit the amount of reactions added to 50 total, since entity changes require the world to be generated again. I'll add placeholder reactions into [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] so they can be added to fortress mode.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Dwarf Fortress on Crack
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:52:17 am »

PTW
iron within, iron withouth

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:48:34 am »

You know, after reading that title I was afraid this was going to be a variety of drunk fortress...

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 01:55:26 am »

You know, after reading that title I was afraid this was going to be a variety of drunk fortress...

I thought it was going to be a game modded to include narcotics.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:22:07 am »

Placeholder workshops... now that's an interesting idea.  I wonder if you can set up 'placeholder' animals as well?  Can you imagine a "guided evolution" game where all the animals in the world start off as "a blob of protoplasm" but then have their files changed to something else as Players add their own distinct animals to the world?  Eventually the animals could become Peoples and the empty race slots could get filled (or the pre-existing "first race" would get a new caste of beings that looked and acted differently... certainly an interesting idea.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:29:15 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Moon Label

• Bay Watcher
  • Cannot write post: creature occupying site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:08:20 pm »

I'd be interested.  Starting with a vanilla world and watching it morph into an alien environment.  Yes!
Quote from: Toady One on May 10, 2007, 10:59:00 pm
I've moved out of the office and turned in my keys.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 01:11:48 pm »

I thought it was going to be a game modded to include narcotics.

I thought both of these things as well, but that I see what it is, I'd be interested in a turn.

I should mention, I think permitted reactions and permitted workshops don't require a regen of the world to show up in the game.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »

Same

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:34:41 pm »

PTW the carnage.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »

Placeholder workshops... now that's an interesting idea.  I wonder if you can set up 'placeholder' animals as well?  Can you imagine a "guided evolution" game where all the animals in the world start off as "a blob of protoplasm" but then have their files changed to something else as Players add their own distinct animals to the world?  Eventually the animals could become Peoples and the empty race slots could get filled (or the pre-existing "first race" would get a new caste of beings that looked and acted differently... certainly an interesting idea.)

This.
The evolving your world part.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 10:19:21 pm »

The problem with that is entity changes and stuff usually need a new world to be genned.

I like the blob of protoplasm idea. Anyone want to test whether newly permitted reactions and workshops will show up mid-game? Saves me about 200 extra lines in the raws.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:41 am »

The problem with that is entity changes and stuff usually need a new world to be genned.

I like the blob of protoplasm idea. Anyone want to test whether newly permitted reactions and workshops will show up mid-game? Saves me about 200 extra lines in the raws.

new entities certainly need a new world to be genned, but replica entities might be able to be changed.  Suppose we had fifty or two hundred (or whatever) slots all filled with "a blob of protoplasm".  Make them all have the same stats of fluffy wamblers or something so that we know they'll survive world-gen.  Now, suppose after the game begins, we change the stats of one of the blobs of protoplasm to be some other creature instead?  It wouldn't actually be a "new" entity, just the same slot of entity with different stats...  (Basically the same idea as placeholder workshops, but with creatures instead.) 

I have no idea if this would work, but wouldn't it be cool if it did?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:41:51 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:19 am »

To make this feasible, you need to add in several placeholder reactions, materials, interactions, and creatures that are initially blank but can be filled in after worldgen. Though any creature can be modded after worldgen as long as you don't change its vermin/nonvermin status.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 12:43:34 am »

To make this feasible, you need to add in several placeholder reactions, materials, interactions, and creatures that are initially blank but can be filled in after worldgen. Though any creature can be modded after worldgen as long as you don't change its vermin/nonvermin status.

OK, see, this is doable!  (Thanks, man.)  @Hugoluman:  How would we get placeholder races to work?  Multiple copies of races in the entity file maybe?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:47:49 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:55:02 am »

I don't know if it would be possible. First, you'd need to stop the game from genning civs of the placeholders on initial gen, since they'd be blank and cause massive errors. If you could do that, then there'd still be no civs of those races with which to run fort mode. You might be able to get outsider adventurers out of those races, and maybe start a faction with them, but IDK if they'd be able to embark.

As per the first problem, perhaps you could make several copies each of the main races, discover which copied entry worldgen used (it might use multiple if there are multiple civs of the same entity type, in which case they'd technically be different species!) and use then overwrite the unused versions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: [1] 2 3