Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we add fantasy metals to this mod?

Yes, but only a few or just some stereotypical fantasy metals
Yes, lots of them!
No.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Comprehensive Metal Mod Project [POLL]  (Read 2386 times)

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Comprehensive Metal Mod Project [POLL]
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 04:03:06 pm »

Anyone care to poke around and find metals that are in existing ores but aren't in-game?
Titanium, for example, extracted from rutile and ilmenite.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 04:21:47 pm »

I'm on board! I don't have time for research, however... Just give me a metal to make and around how good it should be compared to other metals, and I'll get to work!
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »

I'm on board! I don't have time for research, however... Just give me a metal to make and around how good it should be compared to other metals, and I'll get to work!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140645.0

It'll take less time to research than to make metals manually with this here program.

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 04:39:09 pm »

This is a good idea. Maybe add 10% weaker versions of some metals (Rusty/Tarnished) and 20-60% weaker versions (Corroded/Severely Corroded). Ores could be implemented as only available as loot (Goblinite) or maybe Ruins/Ancient battles (Bones mixed with broken weapons/armor or Rubble mixed with broken weapons/armor)

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 06:32:48 pm »

Let me add a favorite of mine, cupronickel, an alloy of copper and nickel.

Cupronickel has been used as a coinage metal from antiquity to today, with the first coins minted in the alloy by the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom. Weapons were made from the alloy during the Warring States period in China, where it was called "white copper". The Romans called it claudianum.

Most of you probably have some of the alloy in your pockets right now. The raws below are for the 3 to 1 ratio used in the US nickel coin, and as the cladding of all the US's other "silver" coins.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My amateur arena testing suggests for armor, steel>cupronickel>iron; for edged weapons, steel>cupronickel>iron; and for blunt weapons, silver>cupronickel>steel.

IRIS_EYE_AZURE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 02:08:55 am »

Let me add a favorite of mine, cupronickel, an alloy of copper and nickel.

Cupronickel has been used as a coinage metal from antiquity to today, with the first coins minted in the alloy by the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom. Weapons were made from the alloy during the Warring States period in China, where it was called "white copper". The Romans called it claudianum.

Most of you probably have some of the alloy in your pockets right now. The raws below are for the 3 to 1 ratio used in the US nickel coin, and as the cladding of all the US's other "silver" coins.

cupronickel is already in DF; it's known as nickel silver. Yes, nickel silver has zinc, but adding zinc would give you a stronger metal. In fact, "white copper" certainly had zinc. If you do want more variety of bronze-like metals in your game and want to add cupronickel, then cupronickel should have material properties closer to brass (meaning weaker than bronze). Stronger bronzes were superior to iron, so the raws you have might be better used for bronze or bismuth bronze, or maybe a more modern aluminum bronze.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:44 am »

About the aluminum bronze material posted earlier: Are those numbers correct? some of them look better than steel!
Unless I am reading them wrong of course, but some comparing back and forth leads me to believe that the numbers are a little off...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 02:25:23 pm »

About the aluminum bronze material posted earlier: Are those numbers correct? some of them look better than steel!
Unless I am reading them wrong of course, but some comparing back and forth leads me to believe that the numbers are a little off...

Nope, steel is about 3x as strong. Note that, for the STRAIN_AT_YIELD values, lower is better.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »

Ppppppposting to wwwwwatch.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 09:02:42 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:50 pm »

Yo, here's a crapload of metals I scraped and converted from Wolfram Alpha just now. I only included metals whose ultimate tensile strength was known, so it's fairly incomplete, but that's a damn important property, so it was necessary.

If you ever find the stress-strain properties for some of those materials with placeholders, just divide the STRAIN_AT_YIELD by however much you multiplied the pertinent modulus.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:37:14 am by Putnam »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 08:04:41 am »

Anti-addy. The best there will ever be for blunt weapons.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 08:33:38 am »

A friend of mine made adamantium be in the game: basically he made a weaker version of adamantine, but it was one part adamantine mixed with two parts steel. What resulted was basically a dark blue, stronger, lighter steel, less numerous than steel, more numerous than adamantine. In arena, it always lost to adamantine and the divine metals, but beat steel. I could recreate his adamantium, because he decided he didn't like it and deleted it. If anyone wants me to do so, I could.

was your friend Hugh Jackman?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 03:41:47 pm »

Tungsten in that thing I posted up there apparently punches through adamantine just the same as it punches through copper. It's pretty impressive.

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 02:50:36 pm »

Tungsten in that thing I posted up there apparently punches through adamantine just the same as it punches through copper. It's pretty impressive.

Then Tungsten Carbide would be a divine metal; no?
Pages: 1 [2] 3