Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make accidental goods seizure harder  (Read 1682 times)

Bellairs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make accidental goods seizure harder
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:37:15 pm »

Twice now I've tried to do a search on the trading screen by hitting 's', since that's the search key on some other screens. Since there's no confirmation required, I've immediately caused diplomatic incidents accidentally. Of course it's potentially Fun to leave things as they are, but what if the seize button was simply changed to an uppercase 'S'? I feel that might work as a safety catch for my eager fingers.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Make accidental goods seizure harder
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:28:44 am »

A confirmation message would be good, too.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »

I agree that this is a very good suggestion.  In case you are not aware, you can easily change the key assigned to seize goods:
press esc
select "key bindings"
select "dwarf mode"
scroll down until you find "Trade, seize"

While this is easy to change, having it be the default would be helpful for new players.  Beyond changing to capitol "S", having a conformation would also be nice, which of course you can't change yourself.

Bellairs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:30 am »

In case you are not aware, you can easily change the key assigned to seize goods:

Ah yes! Thanks very much, PB.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:23:35 am »

In case you are not aware, you can easily change the key assigned to seize goods:

Ah yes! Thanks very much, PB.
Actually, thank you.  While I am aware that I can change key bindings, it never occurred to me that I should change this one.  Changing it to capitol 'S' is an excellent idea, which I will definitely use.  While "accidentally" pissing off the elves might be funny, doing this to the dwarven caravan would be very, very bad.  If I understand correctly (which maybe I don't, as it's never actually happened to me) war with your own civilization can cause loyalty cascades, which are extreme !!FUN!!.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »

Yes, good idea, Toady changing the seize function to be capital s character.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:50:28 pm »

While "accidentally" pissing off the elves might be funny, doing this to the dwarven caravan would be very, very bad. If I understand correctly (which maybe I don't, as it's never actually happened to me) war with your own civilization can cause loyalty cascades, which are extreme !!FUN!!.
I doubt a civ can declare war on itself. I don't even think you can seize goods from your own caravan.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:46 am »

doubt a civ can declare war on itself. I don't even think you can seize goods from your own caravan.
Yes they can go to war with themselves.  Site governments can actually go to war with themselves; while I was playtesting my xvarts the local boss was brutally murdered in a coup and the chief took over as boss but the settlement's people still carried on killing eachother for quite some time. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »

doubt a civ can declare war on itself. I don't even think you can seize goods from your own caravan.
Yes they can go to war with themselves.  Site governments can actually go to war with themselves; while I was playtesting my xvarts the local boss was brutally murdered in a coup and the chief took over as boss but the settlement's people still carried on killing eachother for quite some time.
Loyalty cascades have more to do individuals than civs. They'll leave everyone else in the site alone. (That is, until they're suddenly an enemy for attacking and everyone else attempts to murder them, repeat ad nauseam.) It's not an actual war, and cannot be triggered by anything other than an outright military attack. Deconstruct trade depots and arrange unfortunate accidents all you want.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:03:43 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?