Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would be interested in a forum game which has the same mechanics as this, but is set in Mengalir's past (before the golden age of walled off monsters and etcera.) And has a wider choice for races and has a class system?

You just want to get out out of the mess you made with airships, but I am interested.
- 2 (66.7%)
You just want to get out out of the mess you made with airships, and I am not interested.
- 1 (33.3%)
I am interested.
- 0 (0%)
I am not interested.
- 0 (0%)
I am willing to have airship combat skipped for the most part, and only handle situations such as boarding.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The sky cities of Mengalir (6/8) Two slots open.  (Read 18827 times)

blazing glory

The sky cities of Mengalir (6/8) Two slots open.
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:11 am »

"Mengalir was a more or less peaceful world,of course there was wars or banditry or such here or there but it was stable,dragon's territory was charted and respected,making sure that dragon attack were at a minimum,monster territory was walled off keeping wandering monsters away,the big 3 civilized races,Humans,Elves,and Dwarfs,had managed to create a permanent peace treaty between each other."

"This lasted for more than 1000 years,then a particularly large cult,calling themselves The Followers of Orivowas,had summoned a god and tried to bind him to their will,he had sent a wave of destruction throughout the land in outrage,killing all it touched and converting the land into volcanic wasteland with no breathable atmosphere."

"The mages had held back the wave for half a month,giving the Dwarfs,who are the most tech-savvy of the 3 races,the time to research and develop technology that would propel cities upwards and keep them there,though they only had time to equip the capitals and a few cities before the mages couldn't hold the wave back anymore."

"The god who did this,according to the cultist texts,was not Orivowas,but one of his enemies instead,they had believed that Orivowas would protect them and give them the power to defeat the god,this was obviously not the case,the god's name had been lost to the destruction,so he is simply referred to as The Unknown God."

"There's much debate as to why the sky wasn't poisoned as well or why Mengalir wasn't destroyed outright,some say that he was weakened by the cultists,others think that he judged rendering the land uninhabitable as enough punishment,and some others think he was just a weak god in general,there's plenty other theories as well."

"The destruction had other effects besides destroying the land as well,only a very very gifted few can use magic,though a slightly larger amount can enchant equipment,there's a lot of debate as to the cause of this as well,people think that The Unknown God cursed the Mengalir's magic,or that in the desperate efforts of the mages to slow down the destruction they dealt a serious wound to the flow of magic."

"Another effect is that clerics,paladins,and other people of faith could no longer call upon their gods,there's less debate on the cause of this,most people think that the gods just left to start over somewhere else."

"That was 400 years ago,not much has changed."

"Now that I've refreshed your memory,will you kindly tell me who on earth you lot are?"

What is this?

This is a fantasy-ish Steampunk game that I'm starting up

Orivowas? "The Unknown God"? The names are a bit goofy aren't they?

Pretty much.

Little magic? No gods?

I don't really like everyone being mages and blasting other mages with water and fire and lightning.

Can I be a mage?

Yes but you will have suffer a penalty that I will cover in the character sheet format below and some of the more dubious individuals want to use mages to further their own agenda,capturing them to "Convince" them to see their way and such.

Anything else?

I'm gonna use a D20

How many players?

Spoiler: Character sheet format (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:36:15 pm by blazing glory »

blazing glory

Re: The sky cities of Mengalir
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:33 am »

Reserved.
Players

Spoiler: Sinvara (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EagleV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Patrick Hunt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: UltraValican (click to show/hide)

Sleeping off a massive hangover.
Spoiler: Wwolin (click to show/hide)

Rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:34:59 pm by blazing glory »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:59:25 am »

Are the skills okay, or too broad?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:04:55 am by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:10:37 am »

Do stats start at 1?

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:11:10 am »

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:10:22 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

blazing glory

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:18:55 am »

Do stats start at 1?

They start at 0.

Also one doesn't learn magic,you either have it or not.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:20:34 am by blazing glory »

blazing glory

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:27:37 am »

Are the skills okay, or too broad?

It's fine.

How's this?

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

It's alright.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:36:27 am »

Do I have to use points for the branches of magic I will use?
Edit: Nevermind, re-read OP.
What are the limits of magic in this? What can it do, what can it not?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:53:06 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 04:52:54 am »

No.

blazing glory

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:13:27 am »

Edit: Nevermind, re-read OP.
What are the limits of magic in this? What can it do, what can it not?

There isn't much limits,but I might decide to put in some penalties if it's particularly powerful,making it nigh impossible to pull off without a trained magic stat and even then being somewhat tricky to pull off.

blazing glory

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 05:16:03 am »

Do stats start at 1?

I'd appreciate it if you put a little bit more color/history and appearance into your character,not too much more,just something a little bit more interesting than "Was bullied and now he wants to kill them." and "Is a Dwarf."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:25:33 am by blazing glory »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:48 am »

Finished sheet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »

Actually, never mind. My imagination died, so any chances of a less boring and stereotypical character are slim to nil. Someone else can take my spot, if you're using spots.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

blazing glory

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:11 pm »

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

Your one point over the limit.

3 if you count the 2 skills.

EDIT sorry,forgot about racial bonuses.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:00:13 pm by blazing glory »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:15 pm »

Sheet coming within the hour.

Name: Harvey Khai
Race:Human
Backstory: Harvey is a young man who believes that an order should be established to hunt down and destroy the cult's who worship the darker gods and bring ruin to the people. He grew up with the stories of what had happened and what was done to the world through magic and decided that if it was not stopped then one day a god would come again and finish what was began 400 years ago and so the child of a wealthy family he spent his childhood being trained to wield blades and guns and studying how his family dealt with other's learning the skills he would one day need to gather to him those who shared his purpose.

Recently his family was destroyed by a mage, one Harvey belies to be a cultist come to kill him for his plans but fortune favored him as when the mage struck he was not in his families home, several days after his family died a mage was found eviscerated in an alley but no witnesses to the crime could be found and Harvey had vanished after his families funeral to begin his work.

Physical description: Tall and slim with well defined muscles and cropped brown hair.
Mage: N

Stats:
Strength: 3
Intelligence:
Dexterity: 6
Endurance: 3
Charisma: 6

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:41:23 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10