Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lord Dalek's Human Fortress  (Read 2108 times)

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
  • NOVICE MODDER: MODS MAY BE CRAP.
    • View Profile
Lord Dalek's Human Fortress
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »

Alrighty guys, I am working on this full steam! I will post the first version of it after today on All Hallow's Eve, upon The Witching Hour! I am adding religion, editing nobles, adding weapons (just throw me a suggestion) and more! I will regularly update and I want all suggestions you can give! Also...I have no idea how to mod skills. So that would be a wonderful bi of knowledge to gain.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:10:10 pm by Lord Dalek »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Lord Dalek's Human Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:56:22 pm »

A suggestion from my side: Taking dwarves, replacing them with humans, renaming the nobles and changing one weapon... that would result in dwarf mode with some changed names.

You cant remove boulders or make farmplots go on rock, but you can use water to muddy the rock, enabling farmplots to be build. That works in vanilla Df, without modding.

I would go for some more additions that make them different from dwarves. For example GavJ posted a very nice realistic steel mod, without the need for flux, and Stahls Armory pack has plenty of armors, shields and weapons your humans could use.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:05 pm »

I realize that. Right now, the modding is really at a "hey, can I do this?" stage. I will try to make mining an unfeasible way of living as a human. though that will require some thought. Also, I will look into that steel mod.

I am open to any ideas for additions, and already have one or two forming in my mind. For example, I could play on the whole "slaves" idea (as humans find slavery acceptable), and make a "peon" job.

Though a legendary slave would be odd.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »

A really nasty cave adaptation syndrome, maybe? As in, the higher the CAVE_ADAPT, the worse it gets.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »

Yeah, so that at even, like, 600, it gets dizzying to see the sun? Or, as an even more complex one...(if possible) reverse cave adaptation so you need to be in the sun and being in the dark makes the person sick?

EDIT: I removed "tolerates site:decorated cave", so I assume migrants (as "tolerates site" is used by them) won't come to an underground-based civ? It's just a very temporary fix, if one at all.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:28:43 pm by Lord Dalek »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »

On an unrelated note except for the title, has anybody made a dalek mod?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:49:35 pm »

Dwarf-sized thing with one eye and breathing fire? Also made of steel?

I want.

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:10:47 pm »

UPDATE NO.1: First image...I always use graphics packs (ironhands here). Still feels just like dwarf fortress, tempted to make stockpiles underground and such. Seemed to have fixed halberds. Any Protips or suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:28:30 pm by Lord Dalek »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:07 am »

Haha, first thing I thought when I saw this thread. "What about Lord Human's Dalek mod?"
()==[:::::::::::::>

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 04:12:16 am »

If you need more ideas, feel free to have a look at the human mode from Masterwork, and copy what you like. Maybe it has a feature or two that are to your liking.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:13:15 am »

Haha, first thing I thought when I saw this thread. "What about Lord Human's Dalek mod?"
I immediately thought this too.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:33:29 pm »

If you need more ideas, feel free to have a look at the human mode from Masterwork, and copy what you like. Maybe it has a feature or two that are to your liking.

Thank you! That will certainly help. Even though I have no clue how to choose another race in masterwork...time to find out.