Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: My leopards aren't shaggin'. ):  (Read 8211 times)

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Sustained by Diligent Elephant Hunters
    • View Profile
My leopards aren't shaggin'. ):
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:19:09 pm »

The elves were exquisitely kind to me this embark. They've brought me nothing but breeding pairs of Tigers, Leopards, and Elephants(which I modded to ensure they don't kill themselves via starvation(Grazer:461, yo, Reindeer style).

However, the leopards have been around for the better part of two to three years and haven't produced a litter of cubs yet. Is this because I trained them as Hunting Leopards? The hunting dogs seem to have no trouble having puppies, why should the leopard be any different?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: My leopards aren't shaggin'. ):
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »

Wild animals just have longer gestation times if I remember correctly. Or maybe leopards don't have a [CHILD] tag and you'll need to mod that in.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »

Well, the raw says this: [CHILD:3][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:leopard cub:leopard cubs].

And I've kept them locked up inside so they don't risk getting killed, they've had nothing but time.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »

All animals have a gestation period of 6 months (Dwarves are 9 months), but there are several factors that can prevent them from breeding:

1. Too many adults - if you have more than 50 per species, they will stop breeding.
2. Too many children - if more than 75% of that animal's population is juvenile, they will stop breeding until the young ones grow up.
3. They're gay - the animals in your "breeding pairs" are homosexual or otherwise uninterested in reproducing, which is the case for 25% of all animals.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:59:28 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:05 pm »

Well, it can't be 1. I have approximately two leopards and three tigers.

It can't be 2, because I have approximately zero kittens.

As to 3, I'm simultaneously proud and irritated. Irritated that I have a breeding pair and they're not breeding. Proud because I'm gay and I think it's adorable.

Here's hoping the Elves bring something fun.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »

3. They're gay - the animals in your "breeding pairs" are homosexual or otherwise uninterested in reproducing, which is the case for 25% of all animals.

That seems like it'll make it a pain to breed rare animals in the latest version. I can just imagine capturing two dragons at great expense and then discovering one of them is asexual/whatever. Although that WILL limit catsplosions. Instead of a single tomcat being an unstoppable kitten-making pimp, he might just be uninterested. "Well, I COULD go breed, but I would have to get up first and this pile of XXwool socksXX is super comfy...".
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:23 am »

I checked the raws and neither Leopards nor Tigers had an ORIENTATION creature token, which to me, implies that they can't be anything but heterosexual. Actually, nothing appears to have this tag...

However, it explains so much if they're gay - like why my breeding pair of pigs haven't given me any piglets, or the large cats and a lack of kittens...

Going through the raws I can't find anything about ORIENTATION. Now, I'm not the best at understanding the behind the scenes nature of Dwarf Fortress, but I'm lead to believe that Creature Tokens are found in Creature Raws.

EDIT:
The ORIENTATION tag is omitted by default, and in its absence the game uses the values [ORIENTATION:MALE:5:20:75] and [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:75:20:5] for the female caste, and the reverse for the male caste.

Found that gem on the Wiki under marriage. And this:

It is believed that this makes 71.2% of dwarves strictly heterosexual, 23.8% bisexual, 3.8% asexual, and 1.2% strictly homosexual.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:39:01 am by Chipperbane »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:05:44 am »

It looks like the Elves sold you queer giraffes leopards.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:21 am »

It feels like I got sold a lemon.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:15:11 am »

The ORIENTATION tag is omitted by default, and in its absence the game uses the values [ORIENTATION:MALE:5:20:75] and [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:75:20:5] for the female caste, and the reverse for the male caste.
This means I'm going to have to go through all of the raws and add ORIENTATION tags to every creature so they'll breed properly. Sigh. Human rights are so obstructive.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:33:05 am »

Sigh. Human rights are so obstructive.
Sigged.

In other news, my male dwarf is holding the baby, while the mother just left it on the ground while she transferred to her burrow. This may be related. If all else fails, throw in some post secondary education, strobing lights, and beer. You'll have a lot of leopard cubs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:38:48 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 01:52:01 am »

Well, after two years, my tigers finally gave me a cub. Maybe the dude just had a narrow urethra.

Leopards are still obstinately sticking their noses up at me. I've offered them front row tickets to the stage adaptation of Aladdin, and they still refuse. Cheeky.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:49:48 am »

This means I'm going to have to go through all of the raws and add ORIENTATION tags to every creature so they'll breed properly. Sigh. Human rights are so obstructive.

Unless Quietust knows something I don't here (which, mind, is ridiculously likely), it seems to be only a 5% chance of not wanting to breed.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:45 am »

As if humans invented sexual orientation...  ::)
So sorry you have to "fix" your raws so they don't follow simulated real life patterns that don't directly benefit you.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 02:57:30 am »

to be fair, people also edit their raws to make dwarves not need to eat or drink and other such things; in general, human rights offenses are par for the course wherever convenient for people playing this game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5