Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [DF2014] Embark Profiles  (Read 18544 times)

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
[DF2014] Embark Profiles
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:45:34 pm »

[Editor's Note: I'm going to clean this up and prettify it, but I wanted to at least get the discussion going.]

There's been some discussion in PE's Starter Pack thread regarding embark profiles - who uses what and why. There's also an entry in the Wiki that covers some. This thread is intended to do the following:

* Provide a place to discuss pros and cons of certain decisions.
* Provide a repository (mirrored on the wiki) of community drafted and/or popular embark profiles.
* Expand our knowledge about how embark profiles work (I, for one, know just enough to get myself into trouble.

I want to set up a classification system for them based on some things, which I'll expand on later, but for the time being let's get those profiles out there and talk about what works and what doesn't!

Wiki Article: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Starting_build
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Embark_profile_repository is a list of profiles ("Starting build" covers the creation of profiles).

PE Thread Profile Posts Of Note:
* http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5645125#msg5645125
* http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5611247#msg5611247
* http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5611863#msg5611863
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:18:32 pm by salithus »

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Profiles
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »

Embark Profiles in Starter Packs

Dwarf Fortress 40_11 Starter Pack r2
[thread]

Spoiler: JKATZ MAXBOXES (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nonfish (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:36:58 pm by salithus »

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:51 pm »

Linux Lazy Newb Pack V0.40.11
[thread]

Spoiler: DFVIDTUTS2014 V1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vagabonds (No items) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: LNP-Classic embark set (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: DFVIDTUTS2012 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thistleknot's Bronze (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:36:48 pm by salithus »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:42 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Embark_profile_repository is a list of profiles ("Starting build" covers the creation of profiles).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:10:35 pm »

Just updated it with the Starter Pack profiles.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:19:05 pm »

Thanks Salithus, cause I was too lazy to do this myself ;)

I'll start with a copy of what started in the starter pack thread. I'll clean this up and make a proper embark profile at some point.

My own modification of this [TITLE:Wiki - raw materials to make tools, heaps of coal (minmax build)] out of the extras folder works well (for me anyway):
Discipling and swimming 1 on all.
1. Mining 1-3 & Armorsmith 5   
2. Mining 1-3 & Weaponsmith 5
3. Carpenter 1, Woodcutting 1, Diagnose 2, Dress wounds 1, Surgery 1, Set bone 1, Suture 1
4. Plant 5, Brewing 1-2 Armorsmith 1 (in case of strange mood)
5. Plant 5, Cooking 1-2, Armorsmith 1 (in case of strange mood)
6. Masonry 3, Architect 1, Appraiser 1, Judge of intent 1, Persuasion 1, Negotiator 1 or possibly Mechanic and Stonecrafter 1 instead of the last 2 (becomes leader and broker)
7. Metalcraft 5 (mechanic instead if you are really into traps), Smelt 1, Wood burning 1, Blacksmith 1 (or really anything you want here depending on embark conditions and your plans)

I really like your approach! Is the metalcraft 5 for bolt smithing? I'm also thinking about giving dwarfs single medical skills since you do not wish to train them on your wounded dwarfs. Woodcutting is completely useless at the start imho because most of your time will be spent hurling all the blocks. At later stages the hurling time takes even more time. This is probably new to 0.4x versions though since the trees yield a lot of blocks.

What would you cut if you tried to start out with a dedicated hunter/marksdwarf and how would you skill him?

I tend to have problems acquiring the leather needed for military uses (quivers+backpacks). What poultry is best suited to help in this regard btw? From the wiki I think Blue Peafowl but I'm not sure, maybe there is poultry that yields leather when butchered without being fully grown?

Another thing I couldn't really find info about is how profession impacts skill rust and xp gain when dwarfs do different work. Does it have an impact at all? Having read the wiki article about moodable skills it seems that you do not want your weapon/armor smiths to become miners.

Thanks in advance for any tips on those matters!

Metalcraft 5 for general crafting utility (tradegoods), metal bolts are made by weaponsmith. I've found you can make it with anything for trading. My current game I got carried away digging and building and I forgot about the caravan til it showed. Last minute I had my low-skilled carpenter making wooden corkscrews and I still was able to trade for just about everything the caravan had.

Number 7 (the metalsmith) is the dwarf I would cut for the marksdwarf if you want to start out with one (which is a very good idea for more difficult embarks). Markswarf 5 and...ambush is used for hunting. I don't know how fast it trains or how much effect it really has. I've not a lot of experience with hunting. I'd probably go with a level of armor, shield and ambush (and of course swimming & discipline) since it seems to me armor and shield take forever to get the 1st level on an untrained dwarf.

The birds, I wish I knew. I'm having bad luck again in that I seem to have gotten a sterile bunch for embark. It takes a few years to get your leather industry going no matter what it seems. I butcher everything I can and make sure to trade for all the leather and any packs & quivers I can afford the first few caravans.

You are correct that letting the smiths get their mining skill high is counterproductive for strange moods. Depending what my first two migrant waves look like I try to retire them from mining asap, sometimes you get lucky and have high level smiths immigrate (like my current game) so the starters may remain miners their whole lives. I've also been starting that 7th (metalsmith) as a miner as well, so I have 3 to start with. When they aren't crafting I'll have weapon and armorsmith work the furnaces as well. Skill-rust doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Pretty easy to prevent/get rid of if you just remember to have them do said skill at least once or twice a year. Medical of course there's nothing you can do (other than purposely get someone injured). Discipline on civilians will keep rust-free if you make them go by the corpse pile (requires corpses of course) once in a while. Anytime they get horrified they will get xp. Really squeamish ones I have seen get to lvl 4.

Medical I am not sure it pays to spread the skills around. Current game I've gotten a lot of immigrants with 1-2 very high medical skills, but I am starting to strongly suspect that the dr skills don't affect the quality of treatment but only time to perform task (like many other skills). I've got 1 gimp around for a few years who got really badly wounded early on, was cleaned, sutured, dressed, splinted etc. Still walks on a crutch (motor nerve damage and torn arteries in his leg which I guess are not fixable by dwarven medicine) and has trouble breathing & an infection in lungs and upper body (had a lung puncture) I retired him from military duty, let him go back to his original profession of hunter, figured let him die doing what he enjoyed, but he has become an effective hunter even with his injuries (I notice he does clean himself frequently which keeps his infection under control I guess). I'm rambling again, but anyway, treatment history shows everything required was done, original diagnosis by a lvl 6 but subsequents by a lvl 13 so I doubt anything was missed. The few other wounded (who didn't get brutally killed in battle) I had have had 100% recovery from their injuries, even one with a broken back (arrow vs steel mail, guess it was just a chipped bone) and my bone dr isn't very skilled.

Some of my general observations:
For starters, embark profile is largely a matter of personal preference. Poor choices may make things harder at first but generally won't make or break you. Gemclod is a good example ;)

Social skills other than a level of appraisal and judge of intent (on same dwarf for broker) are not worth starting with. Reasoning: these have tangible benefits of making trading easier from the start. While recordkeeping is important as well (critical really if you want a clue what is going on) it will train on the job instantly. The manager will also learn organizing soon enough (and military dwarves learn it as well) The others will train from socializing on their own and also don't provide much benefit. The only real reason I could see for consoler, pacifier and the like is if you really care that a particular dwarf is expedition leader (generally the broker will wind up being leader as well otherwise).

Discipline can be very handy or nearly useless depending on the embark and your playstyle. Active military training will train this up fast even from 0. Civilians only seem to gain experience in it if they started with some, they will then gain skill from horrifying experiences.

I've been doing the point of swimming lately, but it honestly isn't getting used generally. I try to keep my idiots away from water.

A military dwarf to start with (probably marksdwarf) I'm starting to think more and more is a good idea (I haven't to this point) while it's easy enough to make a single entrance and seal yourself in with a bridge, it's highly annoying to be stuck inside under siege for an entire season (or two).

Armor and weaponsmithing are top picks because the quality of armor and weapons does have a noticeable effect (especially if you can't make steel).
Farming is another top pick because it is somewhat slow to raise, and two good farmers can supply even a large fort.

Masonry, carpentry, brewing, cooking and mining are important because you will be doing a lot of them. The skills will raise quickly on their own, but points invested early on let you do more faster. Having a wood-cutter is important (unless there are no trees) but skill in it isn't. Brewing doesn't affect quality but cooking does. Exporting high-quality lavish meals is also a viable trade strategy.

I'm not big enough into weapons traps that mechanism quality is very important to me. Otherwise a skilled mechanic would probably be up there on my list, it trains fast enough though, rock is abundant, mechanisms make decent trade goods. It's a viable choice.

Dying, weaving, clothesmaking, leatherworking all affect quality and anything high-quality trades well but I don't consider them viable choices at the start since they are slower industries to get going.

Glass or pottery can be good. If the map has sand or fireclay. How soon you can get magma furnaces setup is also a factor to me. They provide alternatives to masonry and carpentry so can be useful. Stone, wood, bone crafting, gemcutting just aren't worth starting with. They need to be done once in a while (nest boxes) and are fine activities later, but they don't bring enough utility starting out. If you've got plenty of wood then a carpenter can crank out wooden trap components for 1st caravan and then go back to making barrels.

I still don't have a concrete set of items. A lot depends on embark location and skills chosen. An anvil is pretty much a must (preferably iron). One annoyance is that there is no way to specify alternate items if the chosen ones are unavailable. For instance it's a good idea to bring some magma-proof stone, unless you care which color 1 is as good as another but if you've got 10 bauxite in your starter and it isn't available a noob isn't going to know what to do. Same for only a steel anvil being available (which makes no sense but has happened to me).

Min-maxing the different food types for more barrels has been suggested on the wiki, but having tried it I'm not a fan of it; you need to haul all that crap underground ASAP. Min-maxing for bags on the other hand does seem to be a good idea. Since early on it isn't something one tends to have the time or materials for. Sand is a good choice at 1 pt each, even if you don't really plan on glassworking.

Taking quite a bit of leather also seems like a good idea to me since you're not going to have a lot at the start unless you build your embark profile around animal husbandry and hunting.

Some coal is always handy, even on a map that has it. Material for some bronze even for a noob (but bring a copper pick or 3 still as well) has it's uses, especially if the site isn't suitable for steel. A single training axe for woodcutting. A pair of cats to keep you vermin free. Some dogs to train for war (will die instantly to goblin lashers but have saved my ass a few times from wild animals...and are always good at keeping the kobolds away). Egg-layers I'm starting to think aren't worth the hassle at embark, at least not with the intent of raising for meat and leather. Setting down nestboxes and then moving them seems to be bad (don't seem to get fertile eggs after) and you have enough to do starting out to worry about where to dig out a room for them. A few guineahens will supply plenty enough eggs for eating. If you still want to deal with the hassle of raising for slaughter, geese are good, starting with 4 females and a male by year 3 you can be butchering pretty regularly if all goes right. Pigs are slow to get breeding (especially with only a pair) but very low maintenance.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for one night. Those are my opinions and observations after several months of playing quite a lot, and trying many different embarks but I am by no means an expert on this game.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
Re: [DF2014] Embark Profiles
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

It'll take me some time to digest that for sure :)

Also, I've extracted the default embark profiles from the Win and Linux LNPs - I'll grab the Mac one tomorrow. If anyone has any insight into what was picked (both within a profile and why a profile was included in a pack in the first place) - feel free to drop some knowledge!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:31:58 am »

As the author of the "Disciplined Craftlords" profiles, let me just say woohoo!! I'm excited to see some interest in 2014 embark profiles, and looking forward to participating the best I can (it's an icky travel week for me.) There's been a bit more discussion on reddit folks might want to take a look at as well.

Also, I hope the makers of the other packs know that my profiles and the newer ones above them are all traditional smileware: if you've smiled today, feel free to use, modify, take credit for, and distribute, alone or with any project. The others agreed to this as well.

As for the "Disciplined" profiles, my first rule on skills is not to waste points on anything I won't want that dwarf doing long term. As my founding seven are intended to become elite craftsdwarves, I've left out a lot of common starting skills. Mining and woodcutting level up quickly, for instance, and I make a pile of bronze axes and picks so I can assign as many dwarves as needed. I just need to remember to turn on all those 'normal embark' skills at the beginning. This method may fail somewhat with diagnose and plant gathering, but I haven't actually had any problems. I'd also like my seven to be prepared for various noble offices, hence judge of intent, appraiser, organization, console, pacify, and leadership.

My second rule is to make sure the skills are divided up in such a way that they don't interfere with each other early on, so no miner/masons, woodcutter/carpenter/woodburners, or metal worker/furnace operators. I confess I ended up graphing this in the end, but it's a good practice.

Of course, the most basic rule of all 2014 embark profiles is discipline. I've added it to all seven in my profiles, but I'd like to point out that there are advantages to not giving it to all the dwarves, if you have some dwarves you actually want to run away from danger.

For equipment, there's an anvil, ore for bronze, bituminous coal (and a bar of coke, to save a workshop/time,) with a bar of copper for those embarks where you need an emergency pick right away (copper bar+coke, make a bar of charcoal when safe.) I'm not a training axe guy myself, but I've added one by request for dangerous embarks. There's plenty of sand, and yes, I know about the "buy sand for bags" exploit, but I prefer the much cooler "I can make glass pumps and nearly anything else the first season" exploit.  I include 5 wood for thinly treed embarks (I suggest underground woods like tower cap, as it reduces rejections.) 5 bauxite for first shops/aquifers/emergency shelter, although the coal, ores, bars and wood can be used for most of the same purposes, giving 44 total item that can be used for emergency shelter, etc. Sixty food and sixty drink of mixed sorts, choosing half barrels of meats I don't normally raise for some variety, a selection of seeds (in multiples of 7 for fertilization efficiency,) one each of silk thread, cloth, and rope (for early moods,) and possibly a lot of animals (21,) with dogs (guards,) cats (vermin,) pigs (yeah non-grazers,) geese (for meat,) and guinea fowl (for eggs.)

I'm considering dropping the pigs, and also thinking about replacing the bauxite with a flux stone and adding a bit of iron ore.
Team Bug Fix!

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:45 am »

A general note, several of you example profiles seem to have 1 male, 1 female or 1 male, multiple females of several species. As of 0.40 versions some percentage (25% or so I think) of animals is homosexual and will not breed. I would therefore recommend to put at least 2 of each gender, this drastically reduces the probability of no breeding.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

bouli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:45:28 am »

Hello fellow dwarves. I would like to contribute to this discussion, on the skill subject :

In my humble opinion, mining skill at embark is one of the biggest waste of points, though a majority of embark profiles I have seen have them. Urist McBetterSpendThosePointsElsewhere can go from no skill at all to legendary miner in no time (well, actually, some time, but not that much if you have at least a little soil to begin with). To go further on this subject : getting a legendary miner used to be useful with previous versions, at the time an unskilled miner was not always getting an ore  after mining or when there was economy. But nowadays, there is no real point in having dedicated miners. On the other hand, having a few extra copper picks is always a good idea.

I have a similar opinion on stone crafting. I quickly dedicate a dwarf to mug crafting and the lad levels up fast enough for me. Of course not as quick as his miners pals, but still, fast enough for me.

My general thought on the subject is to spend points on skills that do take a long time to rise and/or that will not be used from the begining, such as planter, armorsmith, weaponsmith, medical skills, military skills (I do not care for skill rusting, as the effect is minor). And none for fast leveling skills and/or skills that will be used alot, such as carpentry, stone crafting, masonry etc...

As for nobles skills, I usually go for appraisal and judge of intent for an efficient broker and that is all. No bookkeeping or managerial skills at embark.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:59:43 am »

Good topic. I expect to learn a lot...

My currently preferred embark strategy:

I like to get as much done as possible before the first ambushes and sieges start appearing.   So, I tend to do a lot of tasks in the early game that don't do much to increase my wealth.

I use two peasants as miners, two as military and the others of my starting crew get all the necessary labors and professions turned on.  This keeps my dwarfs from gaining too much skill in any profession that produces quality tagged items.  Early on I want to build infrastructure and keep my dwarfs busy at all times. I'll keep this up through at least the first four migration waves.  I specialize my dwarfs after my little colony gets set up.

I'll also spend a point on appraiser, because I like to be able to watch my wealth and manage my stocks.

Keeping my wealth low means that  I also generally leave skills that effect quality out of my embark profiles.   Early on, I tend to pretty much give away my best created items to caravans in order to keep my wealth low.  Getting a tenth of appraised value from caravans seems to be a good goal for me.

For the more difficult embark sites (untamed wilds and evil biomes)  I'll take a doctor and a couple of military people (Armor and shield user) who immediately begin  hand to hand training (once I've created an armor stand).  To train miners I buy two picks on embark and set them digging:

1)  Farm and food  (mining soil layers is fast and creates useful underground room for storage, dormitory, barracks, manager's office...)
2)  Central stairway
3)  Entrance (serpentine 1 tile wide short path to the depot with a drowning chamber, and a three wide wandering tunnel for caravans.  Gates stay open, military        dwarfs train right next to the caravan entrance. I usually build an armor stand under an overhang or constructed floor and let them toughen up outside.)
4)  Rooms
5)  Dining hall
6)  Power and water supply

I take lots of logs, stones and leather -- to just about any embark site. It's handy to have it all in one place. For example, my dwarfs don't have to go dashing about the untamed wilds picking up logs, and I don't have to micromanage safe cutting right at the beginning.  I take enough plump helmets for food and booze for a couple of seasons.  I take lots of sand (for the cheap and very useful bags).  I don't take barrels because I'd rather use stone pots.  I also minimize the booze I take. I like to brew my own booze. I take a lot of seeds, and no meat.  I'll take 1 hog and three sows; same ratio with dogs. I'll take one male cat.  I don't buy weapons with embark points. (not even a wooden training axe). I don't usually take an anvil.

I want a good stock of the basic non metal resources; anything else I can make (except free bags. did I mention that I love free bags...).  I like my embark profiles short and flexible, so that I can actually go through a lot of embarking very quickly without having to fix "problems" before "striking the earth".

I like embarking on sites with sand, and my glass maker is usually my first industry specialist.  A couple of farmers are next, and all dwarfs harvesting gets turned off.
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

SpoCk0nd0pe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:42 am »

This is my WIP skills list. It relates to Idogs approach but does contain a mechanic. I didn't deal with items very much so far.
Discipline 1 for all of them, ordered in the way I pick the roles using Therapist.
1: Armorsmith 5
2: Weaponsmith 5, Mechanic 4 (-1 discipline +1 mechanic might be good)
3: Marksdwarf/Hunter (dunno how to best skill him yet)*
4: Mason 5, (maybe architect 4?)
5: Carpenter 5, Appraisal 1, Judge of Intent 1
6: Cook 4, Farmer 5
7: Farmer 5, Some brewing

Much of this build is geared towards military industry and some early defense. Quality carpentry and masonry can help in making your dwarfs happy and the carpenter can produce wooden shields for your marksdwarfs. I usually have enough points left over for the items I want, so I would like to max skill efficiency. I generally don't think putting points into skills to produce trade goods is a good idea. Let the migrants do it when your fort is well fed, drunken and well defended :)

Idog stated that he does not think medical skills govern the outcome. Is there some definite knowledge about this? If some medical skills do determine the outcome of procedures it might be useful to fill the remaining points with medical skills.

Maybe architect 4 is a good idea for the mason since some buildings need architecture and masonry when made of stone.

After re-reading the wiki article on strange moods it is apparently undesirable to give dwarfs a 1 of in certain skills just for mooding. The number of moodable skills does not seem to determine the frequency of moods.

I'm not sure yet if the weapon or armor smith should be mechanic. The armor smith tends to spend more time since your can produce much more armor then weapons for your soldiers. On the other hand, when producing weapon traps, one dwarf could make the weapons while the other makes the mechanisms and installs them.

I'm also not really sure if your key dwarfs really need discipline. Once your fort grew a little, they shouldn't do the hurling where there's blood around (hopefully outside) since they are key dwarfs.

*Maybe Marksdwarf 5, Ambusher 1, Discipline 1, Armor user 1, Shield user 1, dodger 1.

About items:

I agree that one kind of poultry is totally sufficient and desirable even. I would pick the one best for producing leather, according to the wiki it should be blue peafowl.
(http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Domestic_animal#Comparison_of_domestic_poultry)

I'm not so sure I like the raw ingredients approach for picks. If something goes wrong on the embark site you want to strike the earth ASAP. Usually there is more then enough room for items, but I usually embark on sites with trees.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:50:52 am »

A general note, several of you example profiles seem to have 1 male, 1 female or 1 male, multiple females of several species. As of 0.40 versions some percentage (25% or so I think) of animals is homosexual and will not breed. I would therefore recommend to put at least 2 of each gender, this drastically reduces the probability of no breeding.

Yes, based on our research over in the sterility thread, 25% is the sterility rate.  This is due to a mix of homosexuality, asexuality, and romance only flags.  Only Marry flags set for the opposite gender will allow breeding.

So, you have a few options. 

The most straight forward is to budget for extra animals.  2 of each gender gives you an 87.8% chance of getting at least one mated pair, and 3 of each is a bit over 96% chance.

Alternately, you can bring 1 of each and hope to find more on the fall caravan if the two you start with don't breed.  Or just leave the creatures out of your embark entirely and exist on trades, migrant animals, or whatever you can catch.

Along the same lines, egg production does not actally require fertile animals, so if you just want eggs, bringing all female turkeys is a good way to get set up (or most female and try the odds with a single male).

The final solution is DFHack.  You can easily change the orientation flag of your domestic animals either with gui/gm-editor, or with the script I wrote (in my sig).

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:32 am »

Hello fellow dwarves. I would like to contribute to this discussion, on the skill subject :

In my humble opinion, mining skill at embark is one of the biggest waste of points, though a majority of embark profiles I have seen have them. Urist McBetterSpendThosePointsElsewhere can go from no skill at all to legendary miner in no time (well, actually, some time, but not that much if you have at least a little soil to begin with). To go further on this subject : getting a legendary miner used to be useful with previous versions, at the time an unskilled miner was not always getting an ore  after mining or when there was economy. But nowadays, there is no real point in having dedicated miners. On the other hand, having a few extra copper picks is always a good idea.

I have a similar opinion on stone crafting. I quickly dedicate a dwarf to mug crafting and the lad levels up fast enough for me. Of course not as quick as his miners pals, but still, fast enough for me.

My general thought on the subject is to spend points on skills that do take a long time to rise and/or that will not be used from the begining, such as planter, armorsmith, weaponsmith, medical skills, military skills (I do not care for skill rusting, as the effect is minor). And none for fast leveling skills and/or skills that will be used alot, such as carpentry, stone crafting, masonry etc...

As for nobles skills, I usually go for appraisal and judge of intent for an efficient broker and that is all. No bookkeeping or managerial skills at embark.

I agree mostly, except that a point or 2 in mining for one miner is useful to speed up initial digging if you're dealing with a dangerous area or want to dig something big early on.

I mostly prefer points in skills that produce goods where quality matters and you need the goods early on. Masonry, Carpentry, Weaponsmith, and Armorsmith being the big four in my opinion. I have to make tables, beds, weapons, and armor reasonably early on to keep my fortress going smoothly and I'd much prefer to not have a couple dozen of base quality tables or beds laying around that I want to replace later on with better goods. I find masonry especially annoying to raise if I'm planning on using wood or clay storage so I actually really like 2x Mason starts (Block making raises Masonry so slowly).

I think my standard start would be something like:

Miner 2
Mason 5 / Building Designer 5
Mason 5 / Building Designer 5
Carpentry 5
Weaponsmith 5
Armorsmith 5
Metalsmith 5 (possibly Miner 2 for a 2nd miner)

(assuming metals as part of the embark landscape)

I'm not a huge fan of mechanic or food workers early either. Dwarves like admiring the mechanisms or things made with them, but usually you can make like 10 mechanisms then use the good ones for things the dwarves will potentially admire and the rest for linking up bridges and what not.

Food skills I find is often pointless unless you're newer. You can take a bunch at embark to last to at least the first migrant wave plus professions like Weaponsmith/Armorsmith can spend the early fortress time harvesting plants or fishing. I don't feel like the points offer a significant enough return over just taking more seeds at embark. Plus food supplying migrants tend to be the majority so after your first migrant wave you can make some dedicating farming. I don't care much for spending embark points on making a worker do 2 jobs when eventually they'll just drop one. A proficient Planter is useless if he's always Brewing or always working as an Armorer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:31:33 am by Slogo »

SpoCk0nd0pe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:51 am »

2 of each gender gives you an 87.8% chance of getting at least one mated pair, and 3 of each is a bit over 96% chance.
On a quick note: those 87.8% cannot be true because you already got a 87.5% chance that both males are sterile (not counting in female sterility).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4