Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.10] Aragami Arcology: A God Eater mod for Dwarf Fortress 1.15  (Read 679 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So when I was much younger I played this neat game called God Eater. If you don't know about it, its a neat game that's a lot like Monster Hunter where you fight big scary creatures called Aragami as a God Eater, the group of people who fight these beings. In this game, however, the setting is a post-apocalyptic one rather than fantasy and things tend to get much crazier. On a whim, I decided overhaul Dwarf Fortress so it would take place in the God Eater universe. Here is what this mod adds:

-complete removal and replacement of most DF things
-90 creatures for you to hunt (and be hunted by)
-A new type of weapon that is your only means of hunting these creatures.
-6 new factions, 2 of which are playable.
-An exponentially more dangerous world compared to vanilla Dwarf Fortress
-And more!

This mod is more or less feature complete, though it might be a bit rough around the edges. Barring bugs or mistakes, you should be able to jump right in and start playing. That said, there is some stuff you should know. Also, it is highly recommended that you use the pre-generated worlds in the Advanced Worldgen settings to play the game, so as to avoid DF's vanilla procgenned creatures from showing up. Or just use their parameters as a base to build your own worlds.

Download link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13665

Some Important Information:

-Aragami do not function like normal animals. It would be more accurate to consider them a living colony of individual, highly-adaptive flesh-eating amoebas, called oracle cells, that can take on various forms for different tasks, learning new ways to transform the more matter, organic or inorganic, that they consume. Aragami do not have nerves, do not need to breathe, and their bodies are typically as strong as steel, if not stronger. Attempting to kill an Aragami with a conventional weapon will only result in the death of the fool trying to do it. It simply cannot be done. What can be done, however, is using its own cells against it. Weapons made out of oracle cells, known as God Arcs, will cleave through Aragami, devouring it as much as slashing or stabbing it. However, that does not mean you should lower your guard. Even the lowliest of Aragami are highly dangerous and can kill even experienced God Eaters if they make one false move. There is little room for error and the slightest mistake can mean death. Working in a group is highly recommended, and against larger and more powerful Aragami may even be an absolute necessity.

-God Arcs are comprised of three parts, the melee weapon form, ranged weapon form, and the shield. Unfortunately I could not combine all three into a single device, so what I have done is provided various god arcs consisting only of the first two aspects, with the shield being a separate item. In your fortress military, make a squad of archers (or a custom uniform type as you see fit), and then give them the ability to equip shields while removing the quiver and replacing it with a backpack. This should create a "complete" God Arc. Failure to do this can have unfortunate results.

-The primary role of God Eaters is, as stated, the elimination of Aragami. As per Fenrir regulation, the way they go about assigning missions is based on a basic list of tiers according to capability. The most common are Third Division operatives. These God Eaters are either new recruits or simply don't stand out. They handle most of the mundane missions and make up the bulk of the God Eater community. The Second Division is an entirely defense-focused group. They are picked from outstanding Third Division operatives and serve as the bulwark against Aragami assaults on their arcology. Make sure to keep them well-armed and armored. The last and most vaunted group is the First Division. First Division God Eaters are the elite of the elite, hand-picked by the site director to handle the most dangerous missions and hunt down the most lethal Aragami. However, due to Dwarf Fortress's nature, hunting these Aragami down will be a hassle. For this reason, I recommend a playstyle that mixes adventure mode and fortress mode. Upon getting a fortress up and running, retire it and start an adventurer within said fortress, preferably as a hearthperson equivalent. Your mission will then be to travel the surrounding area and locate lairs, which will be added to the map. Upon finishing your mission and retiring back at the fortress, you will find yourself able to raid these lairs, slaying the beasts within.

-There are multiple civilizations present within the mod. The primary playable civilization will be the arcologies of the Fenrir Corporation. For those unaware of the franchise's lore, the Fenrir Corporation is a biotech conglomerate that has assumed leadership of the remnants of humanity following the world's destruction by the Aragami. They are highly advanced technologically and have a monopoly on God Arcs. This group can be divided into two sub-categories. The first is a traditional Fenrir branch. They are stuffy, somewhat controlling, and highly pragmatic, but overall work towards the betterment and survival of humanity, barring certain individual exceptions. They are the default player civilization that I recommend starting as. The second subtype is the rogue arcology faction. These are groups of arcologies that have seceded from Fenrir's rule to pursue their own ambitions as independent nations. Overall, these rogue arcologies are exponentially more selfish and ruthless than their loyalist counterparts. You can expect raids, kidnappings, torture, and hostile takeovers to be commonplace in areas where a rogue branch is near. In addition, they have their own God Arc operatives, which you may find yourself facing in battle. Most God Eaters that have turned to banditry come from these renegade seperatists. The other main type of civilization are the outer remnants. These nations comprise exiles, rejects, the genetically unacceptable (more on that later), and the plain unlucky. They live a short and bleak existence, scavenging for whatever they can scrounge up and doing their best to survive. When it comes to Aragami, they have almost no defenses except for the very, very rare stockpiles of first generation oracle cell bullets, which can be loaded into conventional firearms and can just barely penetrate an Aragami's defenses. This group is also divided into two subtypes. The "friendly" factions can be distinguished by their presidential rulers and democratic societies. They have varying cultural values, but ethically they are focused mostly on survival. They can be considered potential allies of loyalist arcologies, and enemies of rogue arcologies. The second type is distinguished by its corruption and dictatorial rulers. These places are dangerous, warmongering remnants of belligerent nations and are the enemies of everyone around them. While nothing more than prey to the Aragami, they are a tangible threat to any human factions within warring distance. Subjugation is recommended. If you are playing the rogue arcology faction, subjugating both friendly and warmongering remnant factions and using them to attain tribute is recommended, as no one except your home civ will trade with you. The last and most dangerous faction is an entity known as the Spiral Tree Remnant. Formed from the remains of the infamous Spiral Tree that threatened all life on the planet before its destruction, the cancerous shards have spread to remote regions of the world and try in vain to reassemble. Despite their failure, these areas remain highly dangerous and are host to hives of the Silky-type Aragami, a dangerous creature that will attack settlements in swarms to devour the inhabitants. Purging spiral tree territory should be a high priority for both arcology factions due to the danger it presents.

-Humans are significantly different than what they are like in the vanilla game, and can be divided into three types. The first type is your standard, generic human. They have no particularly important abilities, and are best suited for a support role, like farming, crafts, and other such labors. The second type is the Attuned human. These are humans who have a high compatibility bias (that is, a tendency to function well when a God Arc is attached to them), along with innate combat instincts and a high level of toughness, making them ideal God Eater candidates. It is recommended that you immediately conscript any Attuned humans into your military when they show up at your fortress, as they are rare and highly valuable. The Fenrir Corporation screens all immigrating people and families with a DNA test to determine the odds of their producing Attuned humans. Only those with a very high score are allowed to live in the arcologies, to the envy of the many that are rejected. The third type are Managarm humans. Named after the original project that produced the first of their kind, a now-famous God Eater of the Far East Branch, these humans are the result of oracle cells, through one way or another, forming a symbiotic relationship with a developing human fetus. The resulting human has incredible physical strength, agility, toughness, intuition, and possess staggeringly high innate combat potential. They are much rarer than Attuned humans, but are highly sought after as God Eaters. However, there are risks to their use as well. Many people dislike them for supposedly being "half-monster" and many people view them with disgust or fear. If you use Managarm humans, it might be a good idea to make sure their squadmates don't have them listed as a hated creature, and they should be kept distanced from the general fort population to minimize bad thoughts. Humans are not the only civilized species, however. Aragami, as we discussed, are always evolving. There was a notable instance in the Far East Branch where an Aragami in human form appeared. It possessed human-level reasoning and emotional skills and matured incredibly rapidly, eventually ending up missing during a highly classified and catastrophic incident. Since then, more Human-Form Aragami have been appearing, usually in isolated societies with only the most rudimentary of civilizations. However, they naturally have the ability to produce "organic" God Arcs, making them a fearsome foe if you seek to plunder their treasures.

-Evil areas contain a phenomenon known as "red rain". Humans caught under this rain will immediately suffer from serious illness, and any of the mechanical God Arc Soldiers fielded by the arcology factions run the risk of turning feral and violent.

-DO NOT CONSUME ARAGAMI MATERIALS. The hungry, independent cells that make up all Aragami don't need their colony-host to survive, and can lie dormant for some fool to come into contact with them. If your citizens accidentally consume Aragami flesh, they will be devoured from the inside-out by trillions of dissolving oracle cells. Managarm type humans and human-form Aragami are immune to this, however.

-Crafting in adventure mode works a little differently here compared to most mods. Upon killing your first Aragami, you should butcher it, take its oracle cell part, and exchange that for coins in the crafting menu. Then, use those coins to purchase a Fenrir computer terminal. This terminal will be the means by which you can craft new God Arcs and purchase various items, both cosmetic and useful. Cosmetic items found in the terminal will use the coins you gain by submitting Oracle Cells to your corporate overlords. You can't buy God Arcs though, you will need to craft those from Aragami parts. Also, the terminal is as heavy as you are, so you can't carry it around with you. Find a place you want to live in, and drop the terminal there. This will serve as your home base.
===============================================================================

Changelog:

1.15 Changes:
-Updated to 44.10

1.1 Changes:

-Flat 200 year lifespan given to all Aragami. This is not lore accurate but otherwise the map will become so clogged with rare Aragami that everything is thrown out of balance.
-Axe tool added to Fenrir organization. May or may not let people cut down trees.
-Small Aragami should give oracle cell parts now.
-Messed around with human aging rules. With luck your adventurers should be plucky teens and young adults rather than grizzled veterans. Most of the time, anyway.

1.0 Changes:

-Aragami Arcology released.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:04:20 pm by squamous »

Blaze_1711

• Bay Watcher
  • I like your ass Morgan...
    • View Profile
Re: [44.09] Aragami Arcology: A God Eater mod for Dwarf Fortress 1.0
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:33:46 am »

Great idea for an og mod!

I'll be giving this one a go. Haven't played too much aside from Gods Eater Burst, but always liked the series!

PTW and good job squamous!
"Steal a soul for a second chance,
But you will never become a man,
My chosen torture makes me stronger,
In a life that craves the hunger,
A Freedom and a quest for life,
Until the end the judgment night."

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:52:38 am »

Great idea for an og mod!

I'll be giving this one a go. Haven't played too much aside from Gods Eater Burst, but always liked the series!

PTW and good job squamous!

Thanks. Let me know if you find any issues by the way. Its playable, but there might be a few rough edges I could stand to iron out.

cesarjunior233

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:06:54 pm »

Can you give a 32 bits version ?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:45:49 pm »

Can you give a 32 bits version ?

Replacing the default .exe with one from a 32bit download should probably make it work but don't quote me on that.

Unless it actually does work anyway.

cesarjunior233

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:09:50 pm »

It worked, and the Zygote and other small Aragami aren't spawning with the cell on them, is this a bug ?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:39:33 am »

It worked, and the Zygote and other small Aragami aren't spawning with the cell on them, is this a bug ?

Yes and I will be fixing it in the next release

Edit: That should be fixed now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:51:20 am by squamous »

Blaze_1711

• Bay Watcher
  • I like your ass Morgan...
    • View Profile
Re: [44.09] Aragami Arcology: A God Eater mod for Dwarf Fortress 1.1
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »

Are the concrete pillars (trees) supposed to be choppable? Which tool should be used? (fort mode)

They don't seem to be choppable currently, even if designated.
"Steal a soul for a second chance,
But you will never become a man,
My chosen torture makes me stronger,
In a life that craves the hunger,
A Freedom and a quest for life,
Until the end the judgment night."

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.09] Aragami Arcology: A God Eater mod for Dwarf Fortress 1.1
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:35:01 am »

Are the concrete pillars (trees) supposed to be choppable? Which tool should be used? (fort mode)

They don't seem to be choppable currently, even if designated.

They should be, but the problem is that the only weapons available are God Arcs, which do not use the axe skill. If I gave axes to the civ they would be able to cut the trees but then the military in NPC sites would be messed up. What I'm probably going to do is make a workshop that lets you print beds out of cloth, since that's the only thing wood is absolutely necessary for.