Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 92

Author Topic: [ϟ] Dark Ages V: War & Mythos [High Horror] [5.0.8] YouTube  (Read 454115 times)

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Is it fine to set the End Year for the main world generation higher than 175?

You can, your mileage may vary. History peaks early in DF world gen then abates so in many ways these are the "good" years. Recent versions of DF + DA seem to "give up" around 250-years or so, except in pocket worlds. I can adjust the stable end year in a number of ways, but some issues may have been resolved by the latest DF update: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

-Fixed problem with artistic skill assignment causing world histories to diverge
-Fixed problem with worldgen trade causing world histories to diverge

Awesome. I'll try it. My only gripe with 175Y is that you've got a very large world but not much going on throughout it. Certain regions have high activity, but it feels like civs haven't built up and expanded enough, so you've got some crowded and bustling regions, but massive swathes of nothing in between. If the history give-up problems are fixed, I'm guessing a longer history results in a more populated world.

Expansionism is what the DA mod and advanced world parameters explicitly encourage. Ideally I go back and test this each new version and world gen fix. As I recall, somewhere around 200-300 years civs generally stop expanding much and instead dispute over the same sites over and over (not unlike real life). Civs also tend to go extinct around this same point. 

Understood.

Also, is it possible to install Graphics packs over the ASCII version? For performance reasons I don't like using the LNP version, but the tilesets I keep seeing require me to overwrite DA's raws, which I'm guessing will undo the mod's changes.

The pack includes bare bones 64-bit Ironhand DF/DA by default now. You can copy the DF folder as is (or switch tilesets and copy it) then run DF outside of the pack. Do this before you generate a new world and it should work without issue.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:16:50 am by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile

Is it fine to set the End Year for the main world generation higher than 175?

You can, your mileage may vary. History peaks early in DF world gen then abates so in many ways these are the "good" years. Recent versions of DF + DA seem to "give up" around 250-years or so, except in pocket worlds. I can adjust the stable end year in a number of ways, but some issues may have been resolved by the latest DF update: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

-Fixed problem with artistic skill assignment causing world histories to diverge
-Fixed problem with worldgen trade causing world histories to diverge

Awesome. I'll try it. My only gripe with 175Y is that you've got a very large world but not much going on throughout it. Certain regions have high activity, but it feels like civs haven't built up and expanded enough, so you've got some crowded and bustling regions, but massive swathes of nothing in between. If the history give-up problems are fixed, I'm guessing a longer history results in a more populated world.

Expansionism is what the DA mod and advanced world parameters explicitly encourage. Ideally I go back and test this each new version and world gen fix. As I recall, somewhere around 200-300 years civs generally stop expanding much and instead dispute over the same sites over and over (not unlike real life). Civs also tend to go extinct around this same point. 

Understood.

Also, is it possible to install Graphics packs over the ASCII version? For performance reasons I don't like using the LNP version, but the tilesets I keep seeing require me to overwrite DA's raws, which I'm guessing will undo the mod's changes.

The pack includes bare bones 64-bit Ironhand DF/DA by default now. You can copy the DF folder as is (or switch tilesets and copy it) then run DF outside of the pack. Do this before you generate a new world and it should work without issue.

Thank you for your responses and help.

Speaking of adventure mode monster classes, is there any way you could let us play dragons? I know it's been attempted before without much success. Apparently letting the player control a dragon with all its proper abilities is scripting hell.

I'm also wondering what the purpose of the classic adventurer builds are. From what I can tell they only let you begin as an Outsider with a very limited selection of skills to invest in.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:07:26 pm by Morgoth »

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

You are welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask questions at anytime. --The classic adventure classes have a handful of fairly powerful unique skills, but more importantly, they have stronger physical bodies that regenerate tissues and nails as well as innate skills in line with their classes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile

Awesome.

To echo what some other users have said, I think Legendary Dwarves are a little too successful in world gens. I always thought of them as the rarest and strongest form of Dwarf, not the majority, but in every world gen I've had Legendary Dwarves outnumber every other race. In my most recent gen, they've got 217,000, with the next highest being Humans at roughly 198,000. At the least they shouldn't dwarf the population of Dwarves.

Is it also possible to make a version of the mod with the pre-installed Ironhand tiles as an option, instead of just Starter Pack or ASCII?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:17:20 pm by Morgoth »

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Awesome.

To echo what some other users have said, I think Legendary Dwarves are a little too successful in world gens. I always thought of them as the rarest and strongest form of Dwarf, not the majority, but in every world gen I've had Legendary Dwarves outnumber every other race. In my most recent gen, they've got 217,000, with the next highest being Humans at roughly 198,000. At the least they shouldn't dwarf the population of Dwarves.

Is it also possible to make a version of the mod with the pre-installed Ironhand tiles as an option, instead of just Starter Pack or ASCII?

Legendary Dwarves have fewer starting civs than most races including vanilla Dwarfs, so even when they do survive, they are more restricted geographically. I've not seen them dominating world history, sometimes they even go extinct, but I will keep an eye on it.

Ironhand (64-bit) Download: (16MB)

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile

You're the best! :)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

Soon as this and Therapist hit the stable (ish) 64-bit version, I'm using some vacation time to play for a week.

Now we just need Therapist! :D
I've been playing a few test-Forts (capped at 30 Dorfs).  Any more than that though, and I am shamelessly dependent on Therapist.  I do hope that GM-X is able to add some form of colored-brick producing Workshop, it's just such a wonderful tool for Megaprojects.  I copied the RAWS from the MW version right now, but still would be nice to have it as an official feature.  Never played much Adventure Mode, but I swear I'm going to.... eventually :-[

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile

Awesome.

Legendary Dwarves have fewer starting civs than most races including vanilla Dwarfs, so even when they do survive, they are more restricted geographically. I've not seen them dominating world history, sometimes they even go extinct, but I will keep an eye on it.

Extinct? I'm not sure about that, at least in my world gens. I've done five 200 year gens today and checked them out in Legends Viewer to see how things went, and 3 out of 5 world gens had Legendary Dwarves dramatically outnumbering every other civilization, with the next highest being anywhere from 50 to 60 thousand figures behind. In one Humans actually had the most by nearly 100,000, but Legendary Dwarves were the next highest. The fifth, Goblins had the most, with Legendary Dwarves trailing about 10k behind. I'm not sure if it's just bad luck on my part, but I think it at least deserves a lookat. Legendary Dwarves are so powerful and skilled, so much so that with huge numbers they're not at all threatened by any other civ. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in the lore Legendaries were supposed to be very rare, their sighting being a worrying sign of the end times. In my worlds, it's quite the opposite! It's funny and I do love the randomness of world generation, but there have been others and myself that think the Legendary Dwarves maybe need a little bit of tweaking, or some kind of difficulty in history. The constant between all five gens was that the Legendary Dwarves never had any war or rampages. They were left completely undisturbed.

A minor update, but this was actually not the case at all in my latest world gen. I guess it really is just random, but the Legendary Dwarves do still seem to have the easiest time. I'd also like to see an increase in Orc and Gnoll numbers in the future if that's reasonable. "Orcs and Gnolls pillage the night" but they both pose no threat to any of the "good" civs, Humans, Elves, and Dwarves/Legendary Dwarves. In fact, Orcs have never done well at all in any of my world gens, over a dozen. It seems to me like the Orcs in W&M are inspired by brutish, savage versions of Orcs like those in D&D or Tolkien's mythos, so maybe their settlements should be changed from Hamlets and Towns to something like War Camps, Outposts, and Strongholds, and their numbers should be increased?

On a really cool note, in my latest world gen a Goblin civ is situated up north led by one of the oldest, if not the oldest demon in the game world, ruled from a portal to hell in the far north fortress of Illpoison. It's surrounded by Dark Pits and Fortresses and is isolated from the rest of the world, located on evil glaciers. It's the biggest Goblin civ by far and definitely intimidating to see on the map.

A small second thing I've noticed since last version is the Dark Gnome Shamans. They fight wars, but are somehow extinct at the start of the game, and in these wars they often have 10,000 or more kills with no deaths. They're wiping out entire civs!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:44:33 pm by Morgoth »

who_cares

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, dropping by for a small bug report:

- Gunsmiths forge's "make firelock" reaction consumes nothing and produces nothing

- I just got besieged by "Banshee (insertmilitaryprofessionname) spirit Corpse" units. They dropped all of their items and started boiling away/bursting into shadows as soon as they spawned. It was fun, but I'm not sure it was intended.

- I'm not sure this one was intended either, but you can't choose which materials to make stuff out of ("d"etails menu) in the Rockforge
I tried fiddling around in the manager screen to force it to use a certain stone but all I got was a crash without error message

I hope this isn't the wrong place to do it/it wasnt unwarranted
Thanks for your work and cya
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:38:16 am by who_cares »

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Morgoth, please document some of your world gens on Imgur using legends viewer. The portal to hell world sounds especially crazy.

Legendary Dwarves (LD) being perpetual is a feature. :) In vanilla DF, many worlds end up being Elf or Goblin dominated. Legendary Dwarves are expressly included to address this. Note: LD are balanced against monsters and have many advantages, but they are not invincible or even very powerful compared to say, a Lesser Wendigo. Either way, in world gen I'm not sure it matters much. Other than they tend to have more remote easily defended forts in the mountains where there are fewer rampaging monsters.

-I have noticed Dark Gnomes Shamans vanishing. Likely this happens in world gens over 120-years old or so, as this is the same issue that vanilla DF has with Kobolds. It's interesting, presumably due to their diminutive size. But quite the contrast with their presumed prowess in world gen battles.

-Cities are default for most races, as they make for the most useful adventure mode sites. Gnoll and Orc civs do deserve some extra love, but yes, mainly sword fodder as they appear in D&D/d20.

Hi, dropping by for a small bug report:

- Gunsmiths forge's "make firelock" reaction consumes nothing and produces nothing

- I just got besieged by "Banshee (insertmilitaryprofessionname) spirit Corpse" units. They dropped all of their items and started boiling away/bursting into shadows as soon as they spawned. It was fun, but I'm not sure it was intended.

- I'm not sure this one was intended either, but you can't choose which materials to make stuff out of ("d"etails menu) in the Rockforge
I tried fiddling around in the manager screen to force it to use a certain stone but all I got was a crash without error message

I hope this isn't the wrong place to do it/it wasnt unwarranted
Thanks for your work and cya

Howdy. Will you overwrite this block of text in your saved game raw "reaction_dark_ages.txt" file and tell me if it instantly works:

========================================================================================================

========================================================================================================

-There are some poorly constructed spirit bodies that I still need to update, but I've not seen a "Banshee (insertmilitaryprofessionname) spirit Corpse" before.

-I'm unclear if the Rockforge can be modded to build select materials unfortunately, weird that it causes crashing. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:53:52 am by GM-X »

who_cares

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Firelocks work, thanks.

Ragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

How to understand where live Aboleth?

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

How to understand where live Aboleth?

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile

How exactly do you kill undead in Dark Ages? They seem significantly stronger than in vanilla.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

How exactly do you kill undead in Dark Ages? They seem significantly stronger than in vanilla.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 92