Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 92

Author Topic: [ϟ] Dark Ages V: War & Mythos [High Horror] [5.0.8] YouTube  (Read 452273 times)

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⊕ Dark Ages III: War & Mythos ⊕] Vanilla + Horror [44.04] [v37a]
« Reply #930 on: January 13, 2018, 06:06:07 am »

"Oram" = World
"Nalish" = Forever
Maybe a worldgen that might reach year 999 999?

You can get dfhack and a script called "biomemanipulator" (separate download). That can edit the evilness/weather before embarking

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 13, 2018, 06:29:41 pm »

"Oram" = World
"Nalish" = Forever

You can get dfhack and a script called "biomemanipulator" (separate download). That can edit the evilness/weather before embarking

The preset was set to stop at year 195 so I dont know. I used it either way because these days im too lazy to make my own custom one and it had good settings.

Also wow thanks. Thats actually super useful. When I get the hang of this mod again ill try that for my next embark if I cant find a suitably evil biome where I want it.

edit: does anyone know what all the extra workshops do? like I see rockforge, alchemy station, some other stuff. are there docs im missing?

edit2: All visiting Paladin seem to want to topple every statue they come across >.> they arent attacking anything, just knocking over shit. magma accident is likely to befall them. iThey might be at war with my civ? but the caravan still comes? I have no idea

edit3: two invasions of flying undead enemies and their necromancers so far, o boi. lost my entire military to the 2nd one.

edit4: armed paladin undead are impossible to beat holy shit. especially because it seems like each undead paladin can re-raise the corpses around them instantly. not just the necromancer. wiped to a massive invasion of paladin corpses with metal armor and weapons
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:38:12 pm by flyteofheart »
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 14, 2018, 09:55:08 am »

I just wanted you to know that I'm still playing my old Dark Ages beach fortress.  Seeing the wizard trading caravan show up in summer and zap all of the zombie birds & crustaceans makes me grin :D

Ohh you are playing in an evil biome. Very brave. How many years old is your beach fort?
Almost 10 now.  I think the evil surroundings have actually been hindering sieges; only a few arrived, including 1 with zombies at the same time which started fighting each other.  This is a pre-taverns save, so I've been considering starting over anyways.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #933 on: January 15, 2018, 04:58:22 pm »

"Oram" = World
"Nalish" = Forever

The preset was set to stop at year 195 so I dont know. I used it either way because these days im too lazy to make my own custom one and it had good settings.

Also wow thanks. Thats actually super useful. When I get the hang of this mod again ill try that for my next embark if I cant find a suitably evil biome where I want it.

edit: does anyone know what all the extra workshops do? like I see rockforge, alchemy station, some other stuff. are there docs im missing?

edit2: All visiting Paladin seem to want to topple every statue they come across >.> they arent attacking anything, just knocking over shit. magma accident is likely to befall them. iThey might be at war with my civ? but the caravan still comes? I have no idea

edit3: two invasions of flying undead enemies and their necromancers so far, o boi. lost my entire military to the 2nd one.

edit4: armed paladin undead are impossible to beat holy shit. especially because it seems like each undead paladin can re-raise the corpses around them instantly. not just the necromancer. wiped to a massive invasion of paladin corpses with metal armor and weapons

Undead Paladin would be quite hardcore in DAIII. How many units was their invasion army?

I just wanted you to know that I'm still playing my old Dark Ages beach fortress.  Seeing the wizard trading caravan show up in summer and zap all of the zombie birds & crustaceans makes me grin :D

Ohh you are playing in an evil biome. Very brave. How many years old is your beach fort?
Almost 10 now.  I think the evil surroundings have actually been hindering sieges; only a few arrived, including 1 with zombies at the same time which started fighting each other.  This is a pre-taverns save, so I've been considering starting over anyways.

Congratulations on surviving 10-years in an evil biome. I'm interested to hear about the weather at your embark.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:17:02 pm by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »

Undead Paladin would be quite hardcore in DAIII. How many units was their invasion army?

It was 56 units.

My next fort is going to have a "too OP" button that kills invaders with other methods. Like a winding bridge over lava and a volley of arrows, in case of armed paladin zombies again. Usually I like to use trained military to deal with all threats but alas.

This mod is so flipping massive! I keep encountering strange things.

Also I just saw that you incorporated Fortress Defense in it? According to the credits? But what aspects? o: I used to love that mod

im a god amoung men btw. newest hobby is collecting 1 of each secret slab and storing it in a vault room in fortress mode. im getting all the secrets in this world. iv got secrets of polyhedron existence, master vampire, horror summoning, lich, and dragon vampire (whatever the hell that is) so far.

also, what of your custom stuff do you recommend as an OP adventurer that can have a good shot at getting demon slabs after some training? o:

edit2: i wish this mod had a wiki lol. im going insane over here. some person in adventure mode shot webs at me!

Tested so far:

Lich: the disguise seems to randomly not work and then get me trapped in a massive tavern brawl where i have to kill everyone to get out of the site. Not sure if its something im doing. But this is a powerful adventurer. The reanimation thing combined with its good stats and ability to wear human sized armor=wow. i think its balanced, even with the finnicky disguise.

Greater Minotaur: Since this also causes tons of auto aggro, its not worth it since its also not as powerful as the lich and has no unique abilities or disguise :c i couldnt even get out of the room i started in a couple of times.

Warwolf: really fun tbh. No auto aggro and a hell of a fighter. I would love more info about what these guys do. Can I become a warwolf vampire? I need to do more testing..

Nakashim: Similar to Warwolf in fun-ness. Rather fun to be a snake person.

I want to try a magic class next or a human rogue or something. I just have no idea how to actually play them and manage magic combat. should i even carry a melee weapon? who knows
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:00:51 pm by flyteofheart »
living the dream

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: [⊕ Dark Ages III: War & Mythos ⊕] Vanilla + Horror [44.05] [v37a]
« Reply #935 on: January 19, 2018, 04:01:30 pm »

Trying the new version (44.05/v37a), it seems that the special worldgen settings others mentioned are missing; comparing to earlier versions, it seems that world_gen.txt simply hasn't been copied over while transitioning to the new DF version. Should I simply use it from the older version (43.05/v37)?

Also, checking the differences myself, the chief difference seems that you set numbers of bogeymen types and secrets to zero in all worldgen presets. I trust this is intentional; do you force some specific ones to spawn, or will there simply be no bogeymen to fear nor any secrets to learn?

Anyway, the mod looks fascinating, so I'm definitely giving it a try. Looking forward to providing further feedback!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 19, 2018, 06:18:46 pm »

Just started playing and I've already stumbled into a wizard barfight of apocalyptic scale.

I officially love this mod.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #937 on: January 20, 2018, 12:52:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
im a god amoung men btw. newest hobby is collecting 1 of each secret slab and storing it in a vault room in fortress mode. im getting all the secrets in this world. iv got secrets of polyhedron existence, master vampire, horror summoning, lich, and dragon vampire (whatever the hell that is) so far.

Congratulations on your slab collection. Very impressive.

Thank you for the detailed report. DAIII needs a Wiki and it's on the radar in 2018. Glad you found the FDII content. There is a lot of competition for civilizations now but where they appear they should be formidable.

OP Adventurers: I would say possibly Dark Elves. They have the widest and strongest array of powers as a natural lowbie. After that, maybe Legendary Dwarves and Arcane classes.

Greater Minotaur: Need more love in light of recent updates.

Lich: Looking at the raws, I'm not sure what would prevent transformation. You activate the power, and nothing happens - but does it start a cool down period for disguise?

Trying the new version (44.05/v37a), it seems that the special worldgen settings others mentioned are missing; comparing to earlier versions, it seems that world_gen.txt simply hasn't been copied over while transitioning to the new DF version. Should I simply use it from the older version (43.05/v37)?

Also, checking the differences myself, the chief difference seems that you set numbers of bogeymen types and secrets to zero in all worldgen presets. I trust this is intentional; do you force some specific ones to spawn, or will there simply be no bogeymen to fear nor any secrets to learn?

Anyway, the mod looks fascinating, so I'm definitely giving it a try. Looking forward to providing further feedback!

Hi Nikitian. Thank you for reporting this. I've updated the download to correctly include the advanced world parameters. Bogeymen are set to 0 as adventurers have enough trouble with night creatures as it is. Turning them on is fine if you like. 

Just started playing and I've already stumbled into a wizard barfight of apocalyptic scale.

I officially love this mod.

Hi PlumpHelmetMan, thank you. Welcome to Dark Ages..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:58:33 am by GM-X »

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 20, 2018, 01:23:46 am »

Thank you for the detailed report. DAIII needs a Wiki and it's on the radar in 2018. Glad you found the FDII content. There is a lot of competition for civilizations now but where they appear they should be formidable.

OP Adventurers: I would say possibly Dark Elves. They have the widest and strongest array of powers as a natural lowbie. After that, probably Legendary Dwarves and Wizards.

Lich: Looking at the raws, I'm not sure what would prevent transformation. You activate the power, and nothing happens but it doesn't start a cool down period for disguise?

Iv got pages of notes on where the remaining slabs are in my world. unfortunately i lost 2 to a DF bug and a few are unfindable because they are held by insignificant people that i have no hint to their location (DF bugs, not darkages).

I admit I started playing with rhinoceros man after a while solely because they can carry so much. those slabs im trying to collect are heavy and all the other adventurers struggle after 1. they usually weigh over 100 dorf pounds each. rhino men can carry multiple metal/stone slabs + armor and other stuff without getting encumbered.

but anywho. the lich power works, it says i transformed and then the cooldown starts. i can even walk into a village and start talking to people. but then i will randomly start getting attacked. sometimes by 1 unit and then everyone else starts killing me if they see the fight. i guess its wearing off? i dont know. i also have to "Assume identity" using the vanilla feature to talk to people or else they aggro after greeting even if im disguised. which is cool bcus i had no use for that before.

i will try dark elf next! i wanted to try an elf adventurer anyway. thanks.

edit: i was cursed by a slab that says "Secrets of Aboleth Monstrocity" and it just turned me into a vampire o: I can become a bat, create other vampires, and do vampire-ish things. So are the names of the slabs not tied to what they do? thats fine if so but i just want to make sure its intended
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:27:27 am by flyteofheart »
living the dream

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
[⊕ Dark Ages III: War & Mythos ⊕] Vanilla + Horror [44.05] [v37b]
« Reply #939 on: January 21, 2018, 01:03:02 am »

OP Adventurers: I would say possibly Dark Elves. They have the widest and strongest array of powers as a natural lowbie. After that, probably Legendary Dwarves and Wizards.

Lich: Looking at the raws, I'm not sure what would prevent transformation. You activate the power, and nothing happens but it doesn't start a cool down period for disguise?

Iv got pages of notes on where the remaining slabs are in my world. unfortunately i lost 2 to a DF bug and a few are unfindable because they are held by insignificant people that i have no hint to their location (DF bugs, not darkages).

I admit I started playing with rhinoceros man after a while solely because they can carry so much. those slabs im trying to collect are heavy and all the other adventurers struggle after 1. they usually weigh over 100 dorf pounds each. rhino men can carry multiple metal/stone slabs + armor and other stuff without getting encumbered.

but anywho. the lich power works, it says i transformed and then the cooldown starts. i can even walk into a village and start talking to people. but then i will randomly start getting attacked. sometimes by 1 unit and then everyone else starts killing me if they see the fight. i guess its wearing off? i dont know. i also have to "Assume identity" using the vanilla feature to talk to people or else they aggro after greeting even if im disguised. which is cool bcus i had no use for that before.

i will try dark elf next! i wanted to try an elf adventurer anyway. thanks.

edit: i was cursed by a slab that says "Secrets of Aboleth Monstrocity" and it just turned me into a vampire o: I can become a bat, create other vampires, and do vampire-ish things. So are the names of the slabs not tied to what they do? thats fine if so but i just want to make sure its intended

I checked the raws, if the slab was named that it seems named incorrectly in vanilla for some reason. It should outright transform you into an Aboleth. The good news is, your epic adventures have inspired a new adventure class for v37b:

Dark Ages III: War & Mythos [44.05] [v37b] has been released.
  • Greater Giant Rhinocerosman Adventure Class added
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:31:31 am by GM-X »

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⊕ Dark Ages III: War & Mythos ⊕] Vanilla + Horror [44.05] [v37b]
« Reply #940 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:29 am »

I checked the raws, if the slab was named that it seems named incorrectly in vanilla for some reason. It should outright transform you into an Aboleth. The good news is, your epic adventures have inspired a new adventure class for v37b:

Dark Ages III: War & Mythos [44.05] [v37b] has been released.

Ha!! I will switch immediately since my current rhinoman got turned into a vampire. Thats fantastic.

Also I have been encountering some strange vanilla bugs so I definitely believe that. Adventure mode is screwy sometimes. Thanks.

Iv been using a silver flail to fuck people up- the silver weakness much of the scarier stuff has is quite helpful.
living the dream

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 21, 2018, 06:55:54 pm »

Further looking into worldgen and raws showed that the main reason Illithids and several other races (Hags, Blendecs, etc.) are soon wiped out is that their reproduction methods don't work/worldgen doesn't take them into account. (Particularly in the case of spouse converters it might be because, if wiki notes are right, they also have to be classified as night creatures; though I'm not sure if night creatures can constitute civilization members.) I understand that it probably conflicts with the vision you have for at least some of them (e.g. genderless Illithids), but could you look into making them properly reproduce, one way or another? It'll help a lot with longer-term worldgens (even just upwards of one hundred years).

Also, it seems that there are some unfinished entities (missing various tags) in the raws that don't properly generate civilizations as a result (chiefly those in entity_arcane.txt); are those just easter eggs/sneak peaks of future content, or are they meant to actually work (maybe they worked in earlier versions)?

Thanks for all the work, regardless!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #942 on: January 21, 2018, 08:24:37 pm »

Dark Ages III: War & Mythos [44.05] [v37b] has been released..

Ha!! I will switch immediately since my current rhinoman got turned into a vampire. Thats fantastic.

Also I have been encountering some strange vanilla bugs so I definitely believe that. Adventure mode is screwy sometimes. Thanks.

Iv been using a silver flail to fuck people up- the silver weakness much of the scarier stuff has is quite helpful.

I'd like to think the slab naming bug is pretty rare, unless it's something new to the 44.05 release.. A silver flail would definitely come in handy.

Further looking into worldgen and raws showed that the main reason Illithids and several other races (Hags, Blendecs, etc.) are soon wiped out is that their reproduction methods don't work/worldgen doesn't take them into account. (Particularly in the case of spouse converters it might be because, if wiki notes are right, they also have to be classified as night creatures; though I'm not sure if night creatures can constitute civilization members.) I understand that it probably conflicts with the vision you have for at least some of them (e.g. genderless Illithids), but could you look into making them properly reproduce, one way or another? It'll help a lot with longer-term worldgens (even just upwards of one hundred years).

Also, it seems that there are some unfinished entities (missing various tags) in the raws that don't properly generate civilizations as a result (chiefly those in entity_arcane.txt); are those just easter eggs/sneak peaks of future content, or are they meant to actually work (maybe they worked in earlier versions)?

Thanks for all the work, regardless!

I have just updated v37b to include the missing tags for world gen reproduction for Hags, Greater Blendecs, and Illithid. It should give them better chances. Illithid will probably end up laying eggs in the next update or two. 

About the partial entity tags. It was intended to give them addition features, but not to make them appear as civs during world gen. Also, in old versions it was necessary for all adventure classes to have entity raws.

Don't hesitate to report anything else you may come across that looks amiss.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:28:33 pm by GM-X »

kongor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 21, 2018, 09:03:51 pm »

hi everyone, possibly stupid question here - are there any complications that would prevent me from using the ironhand tileset from the 43.05 pack for the 44.05 ascii version? or can i just copypaste and edit the init as appropriate?

e: or rather, can i get away with pasting the raws folder into a fresh 0.44.05 lnp?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:12:05 pm by kongor »

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 21, 2018, 09:32:04 pm »

To @GM-X, your latest update crashes on world gen for me. It crashes instantly after it places civs and starts to actually generate history. Sorry D:

To @Kongor,

Im not the OP but that sounds like it will work to me? Just be careful because iv had LNP overwrite my raw edits before for some reason. I dont use it anymore because I realized its easier to just edit the inits and install DF hack/DT by itself. and im one of those ASCII people..

Try asking questions about tilesets/LNP here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/7ru8ca/biweekly_df_questions_thread/

people usually reply within the hour and most of them use that pack
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:40:25 am by flyteofheart »
living the dream
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 92