Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 92

Author Topic: [ϟ] Dark Ages V: War & Mythos [High Horror] [5.0.8] YouTube  (Read 452596 times)

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
Re: [<~Dark Ages II: War & Mythos~>] Vanilla + Horror [43.03] [v33b]
« Reply #630 on: June 11, 2016, 02:10:28 am »

I just found this, and I love that you use Ironhand :D  A few queries, while I'm waiting for the download; Is there a summary of what the new workshops do?  Similarly, is there a list of new gear?  Are there any additions to Glaze & Dye industries, or do you have plans for them?  Looking forward to trying this out, there are almost as many hostile races !FUN! as Fortress Defense.

Yeah Ironhand still screams "Dwarf Fortress" the loudest to me.

Dark Ages badly needs a guidebook. All the published details are in this thread, Numthur Blog, or on the website. I could easily spend a month or two documenting it to a half-ass extent.  There is a fairly well formed plan to make a cool hardcover book, but it looks like that won't happen in 2016, and it maybe a Pathfinder campaign setting with roots in this mod instead. I will however keep fleshing out the website over time.

Slaying Dark Ages monsters is the best way to find special weapons and armor currently. I'm planning to add a mithreal workshop at some point soon to make new gear more accessible in fort mode. 

I have not messed with Glaze & Dye industries yet. If there is something you would like to see modded there, I'm open to suggestions. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:41:52 am by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2016, 09:25:17 pm »

I just found this, and I love that you use Ironhand :D  A few queries, while I'm waiting for the download; Is there a summary of what the new workshops do?  Similarly, is there a list of new gear?  Are there any additions to Glaze & Dye industries, or do you have plans for them?  Looking forward to trying this out, there are almost as many hostile races !FUN! as Fortress Defense.

Yeah Ironhand still screams "Dwarf Fortress" the loudest to me.

Dark Ages badly needs a guidebook. All the published details are in this thread, Numthur Blog, or on the website. I could easily spend a month or two documenting it to a half-ass extent.  There is a fairly well formed plan to make a cool hardcover book, but it looks like that won't happen in 2016, and it maybe a Pathfinder campaign setting with roots in this mod instead. I will however keep fleshing out the website over time.

Slaying Dark Ages monsters is the best way to find special weapons and armor currently. I'm planning to add a mithreal workshop at some point soon to make new gear more accessible in fort mode. 

I have not messed with Glaze & Dye industries yet. If there is something you would like to see modded there, I'm open to suggestions.
Ditto.  Ironhand is similar to Phoebus, but just a few shades darker, which is perfect.  Soon as I can sit down for a proper Fortress over the next few weekends, I'll document what I can.  As to the Glaze & Dye industries; I am always in favor of seeing vanilla ores get more use.  Pitchblende, Cobalt, Cinnabar, just to name a few.  You could add a reaction which uses the raw boulders as a reagent, producing dyes & glazes of value relative to the weight & rarity of the ore.  Maybe even make them into special types of ceramic for the actual container.  Would be nice if Pottery became a legitimate wealth-building industry, instead of the usual silk & prepared meals.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 17, 2016, 10:13:10 pm »

Went through a quick test Fortress.  First, I noticed a few DDD creatures :)  The Lynx & modified PHM were a nice touch as well.  Upon embarking, the big thing which stood out was Brimstone, and its' listed use of making gunpowder.  Are firearms especially common amongst the races?  How do they fare compared to bows & crossbows?  Honestly, guns & DF just never sat well with me.  I mean, Dwarves with guns is a legitimate genre, I just never found it fitting for these Dwarves.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #633 on: June 18, 2016, 02:47:55 am »

Went through a quick test Fortress.  First, I noticed a few DDD creatures :)  The Lynx & modified PHM were a nice touch as well.  Upon embarking, the big thing which stood out was Brimstone, and its' listed use of making gunpowder.  Are firearms especially common amongst the races?  How do they fare compared to bows & crossbows?  Honestly, guns & DF just never sat well with me.  I mean, Dwarves with guns is a legitimate genre, I just never found it fitting for these Dwarves.

Only Dwarves have the ability to make firearms and I've not seen an Arquebus that was equipped by an NPC yet. They are not as powerful as crossbows for the record, but offer an extra method to lay down lead and silver vs. night creatures. I agree firearms are not ideal for the fantasy horror theme, so they are optional and rare.

Personally, I use them in adventure mode for kicks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:05:21 am by GM-X »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 19, 2016, 11:01:22 am »

I like that approach.  Lot of peeps forget that blackpower and guns, even a crude musket, represent very different levels of technology.  Anyways, I'm still plugging away, but my first Fort was quickly overrun by 30-odd Hags & a Giant who showed up shortly thereafter.  I will say, love love love the stability of Dark Ages.  Not a single crash, so I'm actually spending more time adding my personal mods (several quality of life workshops, favorite critters & invaders, etc.).  I'll try to have real feedback soon.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 19, 2016, 12:18:22 pm »

Only Dwarves have the ability to make firearms and I've not seen an Arquebus that was equipped by an NPC yet.
It's because if a weapon is not present in the entity file as [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHATEVER] (and thus available to make like any other weapon with only metal bars), then it simply will not appear outside player forts.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #636 on: June 20, 2016, 01:41:30 am »

I like that approach.  Lot of peeps forget that blackpower and guns, even a crude musket, represent very different levels of technology.  Anyways, I'm still plugging away, but my first Fort was quickly overrun by 30-odd Hags & a Giant who showed up shortly thereafter.  I will say, love love love the stability of Dark Ages.  Not a single crash, so I'm actually spending more time adding my personal mods (several quality of life workshops, favorite critters & invaders, etc.).  I'll try to have real feedback soon.

Let me know which workshops and invaders you are modding in. I've been impulsively working on new plants and workshops this week.

Only Dwarves have the ability to make firearms and I've not seen an Arquebus that was equipped by an NPC yet.
It's because if a weapon is not present in the entity file as [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHATEVER] (and thus available to make like any other weapon with only metal bars), then it simply will not appear outside player forts.

Thank you for articulating this. I figured since they involve numerous reactions they would never be produced in world gen.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 20, 2016, 09:08:48 pm »

On the Workshop side, I have been adding the core crafting ones from Masterwork; Stone, Gem, Bone, Wood, and Brick Oven.  They make treeless and otherwise hostile embarks less of a chore, plus allowing some fun RP designs (gemstone dining hall, decorate with bone :D).

Critters: I know you already have a few embark animals from Deeper Dwarven Domestication, but I also included the Dew Beetle.

Lesse.. still pulling stuff from MW, there is an option which causes food, refuse, and clothing to actually poof away when decayed.  Very useful for fps, and adds a challenge to farming (no more stockpiling 100 years worth of prepared meals).  Though I haven't checked to see if this is possible without DFHack.  There is a abandoned farming mod, Crimson Crops, which adds a lot of nice features, but is buggy beyond my time to address.  Definitely a step in the right direction though, like reducing the yield of underground crops, and allowing them to grow at all seasons.

Invaders: I didn't want to add too many more, since the world's Civ list is already pretty crowded.  However, there are a few stand-out races from Fortress Defense that I feel would fit the Dark Ages theme; Stranglers, Foul Blendecs, and Harpies.

That's all I've got for now, I try to keep my game 'french vanilla', as it were.  If Modest Mod ever gets an Ironhand update, that would be another good one to add.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
[<~Dark Ages II: War & Mythos~>] Vanilla + Horror [43.04] [v34]
« Reply #638 on: June 24, 2016, 09:31:03 am »

DAII: War & Mythos [43.04] [v34] has been released.

"Dark Age has fallen upon the world of Dwarf Fortress."
  • Updated to Dwarf Fortress 43.04.
  • Added "Rockforge" Workshop to craft stone & gem items.
  • Prowler Tusk Boarfiends are now correctly trainable.
  • Added three new plants: Bearded Caps, Abyss Shade, and Greater Cannabis. Each can be used to produce alcohol and thread. 
PC Download (62MB): [Dark Ages: War & Mythos: Start Pack]
ASCII Direct Download: (12MB)
Release Version: 34 (DFHack not required.)
Release Notes: Not all Start Pack utilities work with DF version 43.04.
Race Lore: War & Mythos
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:48:49 pm by GM-X »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: [<~Dark Ages II: War & Mythos~>] Vanilla + Horror [43.04] [v34]
« Reply #639 on: June 24, 2016, 07:26:23 pm »

Sweet.  Much as I love DFHack, being able to update without it is equally nice.  Rockforge is a little confusing, b/c it's a workshop.  Still though, stone & gem crafting is just such a useful feature, and fun.  On that note, is there a reason why you added furniture for gems, but not stone?  I know it seems like my features list is just pulling everything from MW, but it does have a lot of fun additions.  I use that as a gauge, then cherry-pick my favorites, sans the script-heavy GUI.  Anyways, being able to play the latest DF with a content-heavy mod like this is a real treat, as opposed to waiting upwards of 4 months for all the utilities to catch up :)

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #640 on: June 24, 2016, 09:28:33 pm »

Sweet.  Much as I love DFHack, being able to update without it is equally nice.  Rockforge is a little confusing, b/c it's a workshop.  Still though, stone & gem crafting is just such a useful feature, and fun.  On that note, is there a reason why you added furniture for gems, but not stone?  I know it seems like my features list is just pulling everything from MW, but it does have a lot of fun additions.  I use that as a gauge, then cherry-pick my favorites, sans the script-heavy GUI.  Anyways, being able to play the latest DF with a content-heavy mod like this is a real treat, as opposed to waiting upwards of 4 months for all the utilities to catch up :)

I still plan to add more reactions, including the bone reactions you suggested. I will try to add whatever I can, but feel free to let me know if something you really like is missing.

And I always plan to add more common sense fort mode reactions, but typically spend most modding hours blending in monster populations and on expansionism. Trainable Prowler Tusk's is one change for example, that has already greatly effected world armies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:42:08 pm by GM-X »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 25, 2016, 09:49:38 am »

Ya know, I spent so much time seeing furniture made of rock blocks, I'd completely forgotten that most if it can be produced normally at a Mason :-[  There are just a few items I'd like to see;

Stone: Bed.  I know this seems kinda cheap, but the way I see it, only the frame is made of a given material.  The mattress is still cloth stuffed with gravel.  Maybe increase the requirement to 2-3 boulders to compensate.  I mean, if the Dwarves can make comfortable Thrones out of rock...

Gems: Slab, Goblet, and Statue.

All such items for Bone would be a nice RP thing to have, but the final biggest crafting workshop that I put into all of my games is the Brick Oven.  This Furnace converts any boulder (+ 1 Flux) into colored bricks (blocks).  I don't think I need to explain the building potential here :P

If you throw these in, my inner Minecraft will be happy, lol.  Lastly, I'm a fan of more difficult farming however I can get it.  Less yield on underground crops (scaling with Skill level), but they are available at all seasons.  Similarly, above ground crops produce way more, but do have seasons.  If you can figure out a way to make prepared meals decay and otherwise be destroyed after a time, that would provide a good challenge (at least for me).  I know some peeps like to spend a year working on nothing but food, then never farm again.

Oh before I forget, I have actually been playing a bit.  Was year 3 and I just started a Tavern.  I had a visiting, friendly Wizard :D  Somebody's pet Cavie dropped dead, which upset the Wizard greatly. (At least I'm assuming that was the cause, b/c I have no other explanation).  He immediately went ballistic, wiped out the Tavern, the militia, and all my Dorfs :(  So no real feedback yet, due to !FUN!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 25, 2016, 02:35:13 pm »

I mean, if the Dwarves can make comfortable Thrones out of rock...
They are not comfortable. In fact, dwarfs take pride in their uncomfortable-ness. The more unpleasant to sit in, the higher the quality.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #643 on: June 26, 2016, 04:14:01 am »

I mean, if the Dwarves can make comfortable Thrones out of rock...
They are not comfortable. In fact, dwarfs take pride in their uncomfortable-ness. The more unpleasant to sit in, the higher the quality.

Dwarves more square bodies and constant inebriation makes the feel of most chairs irrelevant no doubt.

ASCII only for now, play the test build of 64-bit Dwarf Fortress/Dark Ages: (13MB)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:21:59 am by GM-X »

TheBricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [<~Dark Ages II: War & Mythos~>] Vanilla + Horror [43.04] [v34][64-bit]
« Reply #644 on: June 26, 2016, 04:38:34 am »

Ive noticed a bug in Adv mode. (v34) When i wanted to make a stone axe some weird reactions appear. I gather stones using custom reaction, but when i knap them nothing ever comes out (even though my knapping skill goes up to competent), if i do the same with normaly gathered rocks i get sharpened rock. then when i want to carve branch into helve the output is different every time, sometimes jug sometimes pot or scroll rollers. Then when I combine sharpened rock with these to create an axe, I got bookcases, hives, stools, beds and nestboxes. There is probably some memory indexing problem.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 92