Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 91

Author Topic: [ϟ] Dark Ages V: War & Mythos [High Horror] [5.0.8] YouTube  (Read 447982 times)

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
[ϟ] Dark Ages IV: War & Mythos [Survival+Horror] [v39d] [47.04] [Mummies]
« Reply #1155 on: June 26, 2020, 03:29:12 am »

I'm using the Ironhand Dark [47.04] version of this mod, and I'm experiencing the same text glitch problem. I find it annoying, but manageable because you can just zoom in/out and the problem will temporarily disappear. The problem seems to permanently disappear when I zoom out enough, but I hate doing that b/c I like to see a closeup of everything in adventure mode. It's probably a problem with tileset because the issue never showed up with any of the other tilesets I've tried so far.

Hi RoyalRoad, thank you. The fact that the glitch is intermittent is disturbing. Have you noticed it in Fort mode?

Well, I'm using it in it's vanilla form, so there's no other mods or DFHack installed. And I ran it using the large version of the Dark Ages advanced world parameters. So I didn't bother to tinker anything due to the fact that I just wanna run and play.

Also, the glitch is not limited to the title screen. Sometimes it could happen while I was playing the game after 15-20 mins or longer, the results being that the text becomes like the title screen, with some of the text being blacked out to the point where I can't read them properly.

Oh no. I'm sorry, I'm not aware of anything I modded that could produce that effect. You may want to switch to uncompressed saved files, although that has never been a problem before. Toady One has recommended it "as needed" and 47.04 is a pretty raw build.

1) Do you have another PC/drive you can try again on with a fresh download?
2) Is this happening in the Wanderlust version?
3) Can anyone else confirm or deny this happening in DA or vanilla DF?

I took a look under the hood for you and found nothing to explain it. I will take a deeper dive shortly, meanwhile here is a large world I just generated:

Large Beasts DA:IV [Ironhand Dark] [v39d] [Year: 316] https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc89743ukj5zvgn/region_316.zip?dl=0

1. I have not tried it yet, I'll test that one out.
2.Yep, same thing happens. Game crashes after using the preset world generation. Though the font problem didn't appear. Must have appeared only in the Iron version.

I'm having no problems generating 300+ year old worlds with [v39d] using the advanced world parameters. For some reason, certain PCs/builds of DF do not seem to generate advanced worlds consistently. It sounds hard to believe, and I'm hazy as to why, but it has come up over the years. One of the reasons I started generating worlds and including them for download. If you try generating a world on a different PC and it reaches default end year of 333 - it would be helpful to know about.

Other than fewer towers, worlds 133-175 years old are usually pretty good content wise.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:38:42 am by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Dark Ages IV: War & Mythos [47.04] [v39d] [64-bit] Starter Pack has been released!

[ϟ] DOWNLOAD DARK AGES: IV [PC]: Starter Pack [47.04] (212MB)

DOWNLOAD [PC]: Wanderlust ASCII [47.04] (14MB)

[v39] - Release Notes:
  • Dark Ages IV: Starter Pack with soundsense and most utilities
  • 333-Year old Medium Region Included
  • Mummy Curse added
  • Fixed: Toy Factory no longer produces massively
  • Should fix Dwarven Bows
  • Vampire Lords are now human size
  • Minor updates to curses
  • Iron Dwarves have arisen
  • Vampire Hydra have arisen
  • [3] New weapons added which can be crafted in Fort Mode: Thora Spear, Casula Mace, & Xhylon Crossbow
  • [2] New vampire strains have arisen: Dirt and Gloom
  • Dark Ages Dragons can now climb
  • Most Armor can now be refit in Adventure Mode
  • Vampire Bats are now extinct
  • Ancestral spirits no longer live underground
  • Great Bats are now extinct
  • Stable medium & large advanced worlds
  • Hyper-active History
  • Towers in mass
  • Paladins, Druid Dwarves, and Clerics have joined forces
  • Hags now reproduce
  • Hags joined forces with Gnolls
  • Serpentnakashim have fallen
  • Dark Stranglers have fallen
  • Dark Elf civilizations have risen
  • Add-on. 100% vanilla DF included
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:11:20 am by GM-X »

Rahk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was going to try to add Taffer's Revised into Dark Ages for all the vanilla fixes, but I wanted to see if you thought there would be any glaring incompatibilities.  I know I'll have to go through a file merge to preserve the changes from both mods, but figured I'd ask if you might be aware of any major issues I might run into.

Thanks for the mod.  Dark Ages is one of my favorites.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

I was going to try to add Taffer's Revised into Dark Ages for all the vanilla fixes, but I wanted to see if you thought there would be any glaring incompatibilities.  I know I'll have to go through a file merge to preserve the changes from both mods, but figured I'd ask if you might be aware of any major issues I might run into.

Thanks for the mod.  Dark Ages is one of my favorites.

Hi again Rahk, I am unfamiliar with that mod can you post a link to it? If it only cleans up vanilla raws it should theoretically work like a charm. If you do get it running smoothly, I'd like to know.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile

Hi GM-X,

Do you have a rough estimate of when a Dark Ages compatible version of Vettlingr's tileset will be made for your current or future Starter Pack? I am teeming with anticipation, lol.

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Because the only thing that I do good is bad jokes
    • View Profile

Hello.
Downloaded the latest version, but every time I try to start the game in pregenerated world or create new one with advanced paramenters, I get an error saying "Not found: raw/graphics/doren/crittermen.png", unless I use the Wanderlust_DA tileset.
What gives?
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Do you have a rough estimate of when a Dark Ages compatible version of Vettlingr's tileset will be made for your current or future Starter Pack? I am teeming with anticipation, lol.

I keep looking at Toady One, and the Steam release. Since tiles will work differently and a brand new tileset will launch with the Steam release, it makes sense to start the work then.

Downloaded the latest version, but every time I try to start the game in pregenerated world or create new one with advanced paramenters, I get an error saying "Not found: raw/graphics/doren/crittermen.png", unless I use the Wanderlust_DA tileset.
What gives?

Hi Jesterdwarf, I am not getting the error using the default Phoebus or Spacefox. Can you tell me exactly what screen you see it? Starting Dwarf or Adventure mode?

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Because the only thing that I do good is bad jokes
    • View Profile

Hi Jesterdwarf, I am not getting the error using the default Phoebus or Spacefox. Can you tell me exactly what screen you see it? Starting Dwarf or Adventure mode?
The error occurs every time the game (I assume) is trying to load the tileset, i.e. when I try to start any game mode or enter the advanced world generation. It crashes at 'Preparing text objects'.
This problem is fixed by copying the crittermen.png from, for example, Spacefox folder and putting it into raw\graphics\doren in the other tileset's folder - which wouldn't be that surprising if not for the fact that every tileset save for Gemset already has this file.
As far as I can tell, problem only happens if (after unpacking the zip archive) you launch LNP, switch to Gemset, launch DF, try to load the world or enter worldgen and get the error message. Then you have 40% chance that the game will crash with this same error regardless of the installed tileset until you copypaste crittermen.png in your 'Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04\raw\graphics\doren' folder. I was able to replicate this error 4 times out of 10, hence the 40%. It doesn't happen at all if you don't touch Gemset, all other tilesets will work fine. Worldgen is still prone to crashing after 200 or so years, though, but such is the life in Dark Ages I suppose.
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

The error occurs every time the game (I assume) is trying to load the tileset, i.e. when I try to start any game mode or enter the advanced world generation. It crashes at 'Preparing text objects'.
This problem is fixed by copying the crittermen.png from, for example, Spacefox folder and putting it into raw\graphics\doren in the other tileset's folder - which wouldn't be that surprising if not for the fact that every tileset save for Gemset already has this file.
As far as I can tell, problem only happens if (after unpacking the zip archive) you launch LNP, switch to Gemset, launch DF, try to load the world or enter worldgen and get the error message. Then you have 40% chance that the game will crash with this same error regardless of the installed tileset until you copypaste crittermen.png in your 'Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04\raw\graphics\doren' folder. I was able to replicate this error 4 times out of 10, hence the 40%. It doesn't happen at all if you don't touch Gemset, all other tilesets will work fine. Worldgen is still prone to crashing after 200 or so years, though, but such is the life in Dark Ages I suppose.

It would not surprise me if Gemset was broken, thank you for diving deeper into this. As far as crashing, if you are running with DFHack try with it off. If you are not, try generating worlds on a different computer - if possible.

It sounds annoying as a suggestion, but if I'm able to gen advanced worlds to the default year of 333-years almost every time. But some vanilla DF builds, I have trouble and other people seem to have none.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have noticed that legendary dwarfes can't build display furniture in carpenter's workshop.
After digging into the files I've noticed you've missed the [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE] token.
I believe the same is true for pedestals but I've not done an extensive search for what is missing and what should (probably) be there.

I've also got some gameplay questions.
What is the toy factory good for? Has it any hard benefit or does it just produce trading items?
Also rock armour. Should I use it or is it better to stick with metal armour?
I think it would be nice if on the introduction post there was some info on the new content and how it works ingame so that new players aren's stumbling around in the dark.
It's a little bit overwhelming (perhaps only if one hasn'f followed development) but there is a lot of stuff so it feels hard for a new player to make right choices.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a little bit overwhelming (perhaps only if one hasn'f followed development) but there is a lot of stuff so it feels hard for a new player to make right choices.

I've bounced off this mod several times for exactly that reason! I love lovecraft and the horror genre. Someday I'd love to play it, and some more info explaining changes would be really great.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

I have noticed that legendary dwarfes can't build display furniture in carpenter's workshop.
After digging into the files I've noticed you've missed the [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE] token.
I believe the same is true for pedestals but I've not done an extensive search for what is missing and what should (probably) be there.

I've also got some gameplay questions.
What is the toy factory good for? Has it any hard benefit or does it just produce trading items?
Also rock armour. Should I use it or is it better to stick with metal armour?
I think it would be nice if on the introduction post there was some info on the new content and how it works ingame so that new players aren's stumbling around in the dark.

Hello SeelenJägerTee, thank you for reporting this. I've uploaded [v39f] hot fix for Legendary Dwarves with a new download link.

Your feedback is very welcome. The truth is, most people have not been vocal about the mod.

There is a long lost guidebook that is supposed to help players "have fun" but it keeps getting put off. The wiki was eaten by the internet. But, in some ways I am not sure why any feature should overwhelm players and I'm sorry to hear that. Most of the features are optional and situational, like unique plants for example. They can be valuable and used for alchemy but you don't ever need them. On top of that I don't like to spoil content and I have so many projects currently - greatly explaining them usually comes last on my list. It has hurt the popularity of my content so your perception is quite valid.

Toy Factory - Trinkets. For lore related amusement but there is a long view that one day toys will be used for certain kinds of magical crafting. 

Stone Armor - Not the best armor option but an option that may or may not be a life saver for some forts.

I've bounced off this mod several times for exactly that reason! I love lovecraft and the horror genre. Someday I'd love to play it, and some more info explaining changes would be really great.

Rmblr, you have not been playing?  :-\ The hope is, once DF is on Steam and there is a real workshop with easy patching - more effort will go into making this mod more user accessible.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:42:22 am by GM-X »

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rmblr, you have not been playing?

Hah, when I say "bounced off" I meant that I've only spent hundreds of hours playing DA compared to thousands of vanilla DF.

I really enjoy DA but I've struggled a bit exploring the new features, I tend to play it like vanilla. I remember the wiki from 5+ years ago, it was super cool. Would be nice to have something like that again. I'm the sort of player who has DF wiki open in one window the whole time I play and refer to it constantly, so not being able to do that with DA made it difficult. I'm not much of a raws reader.

That reminds me, I should share the script I use to convert your Windows DA package into one that works on Linux.

Did you do any tweaks to the default LNP + dfhack install? For example, does the dfhack.init have any DA specific changes? dfhack plugins/scripts? Any DA changes in init.txt?

I tend to download vanilla DF linux, extract DA over it, then install dfhack into that dir.. and it mostly works. Occasionally I have crashes, but I'm not sure if that's because I missed something or not.

I've uploaded [v39f] hot fix for Legendary Dwarves with a new download link.

Is the ascii wanderlust dropbox link in the first post updated to v39f?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:27:32 am by rmblr »

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Rmblr, you have not been playing?

Hah, when I say "bounced off" I meant that I've only spent hundreds of hours playing DA compared to thousands of vanilla DF.

I really enjoy DA but I've struggled a bit exploring the new features, I tend to play it like vanilla. I remember the wiki from 5+ years ago, it was super cool. Would be nice to have something like that again. I'm the sort of player who has DF wiki open in one window the whole time I play and refer to it constantly, so not being able to do that with DA made it difficult. I'm not much of a raws reader.

That reminds me, I should share the script I use to convert your Windows DA package into one that works on Linux.

Did you do any tweaks to the default LNP + dfhack install? For example, does the dfhack.init have any DA specific changes? dfhack plugins/scripts? Any DA changes in init.txt?

Is the ascii wanderlust dropbox link in the first post updated to v39f?

You convinced me to remake the wiki sooner. And please do share what you are doing with Linux. I will add it the OP.

Updated Wanderlust with the hot fix now also.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:13:24 pm by GM-X »

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to hear! Would love to see the wiki, do you need any help setting it up or anything?

I'll post a Linux pack of DA!

Did you do any tweaks to the default Windows Pack besides the DA mod itself? For example, does the dfhack.init have any DA specific changes? dfhack plugins/scripts? Any DA changes in init.txt?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 91