Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Move ballistas over minecart tracks  (Read 2928 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Move ballistas over minecart tracks
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 11:05:15 pm »

Why not? A moving ballista would make them viable on low tree biomes. Tracks can't be too complicated, or almost everyone wouldn't use them. From what I understand, it's carve tracks, place minecart, push. Simple enough.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 12:16:34 am »

Why not? A moving ballista would make them viable on low tree biomes. Tracks can't be too complicated, or almost everyone wouldn't use them. From what I understand, it's carve tracks, place minecart, push. Simple enough.
You'd to need to set up a hauling route, too. How do you tell your dwarves when the ballista needs to be moved? And with your ballista constantly being moved around you're leaving gaps in your defense coverage. You may never actually line up a shot.

If you can't afford the ballistae then you probably can't afford the ammo. 1 ballista = 3 wood = 3 ballista arrows.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:20:37 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 01:54:37 am »

It's a simple q push. Hauling routes aren't nessecary, and, I find, somewhat redundant, since it'll all get hauled anyway. A few moving ballistae on tracks is probably better for your defense than fifty static ones, half of which won't ever be used.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 02:11:54 am »

It's a simple q push. Hauling routes aren't nessecary, and, I find, somewhat redundant, since it'll all get hauled anyway. A few moving ballistae on tracks is probably better for your defense than fifty static ones, half of which won't ever be used.
If they had a rotate option plus proper firing cones then any of them you don't use you probably don't need.

They shouldn't even need tracks to begin with if they're the type that have wheels (which they should if you're going to be moving them.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:14:58 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:58 am »

I don't think it even matters if it's the best solution. Automation options and contraptions are dwarfy and fun.

Go ahead and put firing cones on them. Go ahead and let them be wheeled. Then ALSO put an undercarriage on them to be able to go on rails as well.  If you want to do it with far less coding effort than the 3 tracks, there have been options mentioned (center tile acts as the minecart only, or make ballistas 1x1).

Really, just about everything (or parallel versions of things perhaps) should be able to go on tracks. Doors, traps, bridges, pressure plates, etc. It would make the game far more amusing
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:37 am »

Really, just about everything (or parallel versions of things perhaps) should be able to go on tracks. Doors, traps, bridges, pressure plates, etc. It would make the game far more amusing
Can't you do most of that already? There's definite mention of minecarts on the pressure plate page of the wiki (and vise-versa.) Bridges function as tracks. I know I've heard of track designs utilizing doors opened by pressure plates. I don't know about traps.

Now, if you're talking about stuff actually being moved around, moving fortress parts are planned.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 10:16:53 am »

Yeah I meant moving the doors and bridges ON the tracks

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:33 am »

make ballistas useful first.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 01:10:16 pm »

Ballistas can slaughter fifty goblins in a few seconds. They are useful.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 01:34:37 am »

Personally, I'd like to see them mobile and mounted on minecarts.  As in, you don't take it out of the cart to fire.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 05:03:15 am »

But if you don't set it on a track stop or brace it against a wall, the recoil of the shot should be able to move the cart backwards (or on a diagonal when a moving mounted ballista shoots to the side).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »

I think something that we need to keep in mind here is that sieges will eventually use these too. That means invaders will either need to build tracks all over your landscape or constantly reassemble their siege equipment. The former is ridiculous. The latter would make sense for trebuchet but seems unusual for catapults or ballistae.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:24:23 pm by Bumber »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 08:46:34 pm »

But if you don't set it on a track stop or brace it against a wall, the recoil of the shot should be able to move the cart backwards (or on a diagonal when a moving mounted ballista shoots to the side).
Erm, brakes?

I think something that we need to keep in mind here is that sieges will eventually use these too. That means invaders will either need to build tracks all over your landscape or constantly reassemble their siege equipment. The former is ridiculous. The latter would make sense for trebuchet but seems unusual for catapults or ballistae.
There's no reason why we can't have ballistae that are slowly movable with their own wheels AND also have an option of running on a track (much faster, and automatable)... AND shoot within horizontal arcs.

Don't know why people are acting like these are mutually exclusive concepts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 12:40:31 am »

There's no reason why we can't have ballistae that are slowly movable with their own wheels AND also have an option of running on a track (much faster, and automatable)... AND shoot within horizontal arcs.

Don't know why people are acting like these are mutually exclusive concepts.
Yes, that's fine.

I wonder if siege equipment would work well implemented as a unit able to be given orders via the squad menu. Then, given a move order, available siege engineers would attempt to slide it down a track (given a decreased pathing cost) if available, or else wheel it around. We'd need an additional special attack order to fire along a trajectory instead of at a moving target. The hauling screen would need to be extended to accept units for tracks, which is fine because it ties in with using beasts of burden for hauling later.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:52 am »

Erm, brakes?

Exactly. Track stops _are_ the brakes we have now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:36:11 am by Larix »
Pages: 1 [2] 3