Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Move ballistas over minecart tracks  (Read 2895 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Move ballistas over minecart tracks
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 10:37:36 am »

Track stops and brakes are two different things in real life, and we have one of them in game.

Brakes on minecarts don't make a ton of sense, becaus eyou need an operator (which you only rarely have) and also need to specify where to brake and when, which would be difficult.  Brakes on a ballista for firing though make a ton of sense, because there must already be an operator, and because the moment to do so is completely unambiguous.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »

You could have the ballista/catapult only use one track line, but then keep them at the 3X3 size and make it so that the center tile is the one that moves on the tracks.  You would keep the benefit of the interoperability of the tracks, while forcing the player to plan ahead if they want to use their tracks for siege engines.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 11:03:34 pm »

For those that are concerned, this has a historical precedent, albeit a more modern one.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 2 [3]