Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [linux] Install script  (Read 11887 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [linux] Install script
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 10:36:20 am »

However, when I use the dfhack to start DF, several things are different:
- I don't have the new, awesome font (and I guess no item-tiles, either)

I don't know how the item-tiles work, but the Linux version crashes if you enable Truetype fonts, so you have to play without them.  This takes away a lot of the visuals.  I just go all the way back to the basic ASCII tileset and curses_800x600 font.  At least then I don't get nauseous trying to read text.

- Phrasing in the main menu is different

The Windows executable that Meph ships has been binary-edited to change some of the hardcoded text strings to other strings.  If you don't perform the same binary edits on the Linux executable, you'll have original DF strings in some places where the Windows executable has MDF strings.  This is most notable in the Labors menu.  I don't know all the other places.

- and probably more, that I haven't found yet. (I think I had less embark profiles available, for example)

If you can figure out what files need to be put where to make these things work correctly under Linux, that would be awesome.

I am using the dfhack thingy from 5.06 is that the reason why? I also copied the libs-folder from said 5.06 version to my 5.09 Directory, because it wouldn't work otherwise.

The libs directory contains the Linux executable, and possibly a couple shared libraries.  It's OK to move that around between versions.

Also, I tried outsmarting DF by generating the world without Wine, and then running it with wine. Then it crashed, when I tried to embark (of course after a long time of carefully preparing...)  :-\

Finding a combination of executables, shared libraries, and dfhack libraries/plugins that doesn't crash, and has all the features you want, is likely to be an ongoing struggle.

(You will also probably have to modify some of the dfhack scripts that ship with MDF, because they were written for some version of dfhack that's in between r3 and r5.  Some people have called it "r4" but there was never an actual r4 release.  If you're using dfhack r5, you'll get some errors.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:39:28 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:18 am »

- Hm, regarding the truetype thing, I believe you are wrong. With the new Text-will-be-text plugin I think Truetype is disabled by default. So, not being able to use TT is not a bad thing anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Yes, the different names for labours is also extrmely annoying, when trying to figure out archaeologists and the like...

- I am, indeed using dfhack r4 (r that's what it says in the top left corner, I think) Are the compatibility-issues here just for some advanced stuff or is it also problematic for basic reactions and syndromes? (Magic, Poison, etc?)

- Thank you for your help!

- EDIT: I tried outsmarting the game again, by creating a fort and embarking whithout wine, and then starting the GUI with wine and loading the save. It does load, but once I start the game it gets extremely slow and then gets entirely stuck at one point. :-/

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:05:31 am by Snaaty »

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 10:23:02 am »

You must run the GUI, either in Wine, or on a Windows machine.  You could, for example, install Masterwork on Windows, run the GUI, then copy the entire directory over to Linux, and then copy the Linux DF/DFhack files over top of it.  If you can't get Wine to work, that may be the only way.

wine, nore a windows machine is possible, another option that works is to run windows in a virtual maachine like virtualbox. you can then run the GUI directly from the MWDF directly and not have to do any copying. Just for future references
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]