Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 75

Author Topic: Perplexicon: A New Arena: Ambition still doesn't pay.  (Read 114230 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: A New Arena: Need a hand?
« Reply #675 on: March 28, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »

((Ok, now I see how it works. Thanks.))

Say the third word with 2 POT, the fourth with 1 POT, and the fifth with 1 POT.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:57:01 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 28, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »

((Attack and spell same round yes. DC change, NOOOOOOOOO!))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 28, 2015, 04:58:10 pm »

((Is it even necessary to assign POT to spells? Can I just say the words and hope for 6's?))
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 28, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »

((Is it even necessary to assign POT to spells? Can I just say the words and hope for 6's?))
((It's necessary because POT is how many dice you roll. This system is different from the old Perplexicon system.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 28, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

((It's necessary because POT is how many dice you roll. This system is different from the old Perplexicon system.))
((Oh so that's how it works? Cool, thanks.))

blazing glory

« Reply #680 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:43 pm »

Enter the magma caverns.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:04 pm »

((I think the penalty for negative words in spells should be stiffer, though I understand it's hard to figure out what "fragile" might do in several situations.  That said, making them have a positive cost makes them completely unusable, as well as those neutral cost words.  I mean, I was going to make some "Fancy" or whatever it is armor just for the sake of being fancy, but I won't do that if it costs.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 29, 2015, 03:41:53 am »

Drop this piece of shit cloth and RUN AWAAAAY.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 29, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »

Just had a potentially interesting idea for this sort of genre of game. What if saying the words out loud, such that everyone could hear, gave some sort of bonus? Yelling puts more power into the word and such. Just a thought. I doubt it would work well in practice. Rather enjoying reading this with the mechanics you've created, but am content to sit back and watch, at least for now.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 29, 2015, 06:38:23 pm »

Oops. Forgot my bold text.

"Maybe you have to know what it actually does? How'd Reg find out, then..."

I was thinking about changing the combat rules to allow physical attacking while still casting spells. Perhaps even multiple spells during combat. Y/N?

Tentative Y. Maybe make it depend on winning the Speed rolls by more than one? And have failures cause an even bigger mess.

Also, pretty sure that I'm going to adjust some DCs. Namely, changing all negative and neutral DCs to 1.

I dislike this one, though I can't tell if it's because I'm playing the game or because I just don't like the idea.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 30, 2015, 11:38:13 pm »

Alternate proposal for DC changes, since DC:1 for negative words would make them completely pointless instead of hard to use right:

1)  All 0 DC words stay the same.   They're mostly non-effect words, from what I've seen.
2)  All -1 DC words go to 0.  They can be worked around.
3)  With one exception, all -2 and lower negative words go to -1.  They're actual penalties to the effect, and in cases where the effect is less obvious, make them so.
4)  Limit multiple negative words.  Either hard limit them to one, or make using more than one give the spell a chance to outright fail; something like a 1/N chance of success, where N is the number of negative words in the spell.
5)  Leave that -5 word that involves suicide where it is.  It's a suicide word; it's got enough of a penalty.
6)  Change it so total spell DC is minimum 1.  So if you have Fragile (-3) Sand (1), the DC comes out as -2 -> 1 (so you can see the unmodified DC for estimating cost of words.)

Anyway.

"Wah hah!  I see the <3 is spreading!  Have some moooooore!"

So much <3!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 31, 2015, 05:54:21 am »

1)  All 0 DC words stay the same.   They're mostly non-effect words, from what I've seen.
2)  All -1 DC words go to 0.  They can be worked around.
3)  With one exception, all -2 and lower negative words go to -1.  They're actual penalties to the effect, and in cases where the effect is less obvious, make them so.
4)  Limit multiple negative words.  Either hard limit them to one, or make using more than one give the spell a chance to outright fail; something like a 1/N chance of success, where N is the number of negative words in the spell.
5)  Leave that -5 word that involves suicide where it is.  It's a suicide word; it's got enough of a penalty.
6)  Change it so total spell DC is minimum 1.  So if you have Fragile (-3) Sand (1), the DC comes out as -2 -> 1 (so you can see the unmodified DC for estimating cost of words.)
This sounds great to me. I'll change the DCs to this if no one objects.

And since it appears that no one is against the combat rules change, I'll change them too.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 31, 2015, 05:58:43 am »

I have no idea what any of that means.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 01, 2015, 10:51:48 am »

Nooooo... I wanted to suggest [what I'm looking at][fragile*a billion][more debuffs*a billion] to make a death laser...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:38 am »

I'm missing Beirus', NAV's and endlessblaze's actions.

I'll wait another day or so.

FAKEEDIT: Just noticed that I've actually got a PM from NAV.

EDIT: Now I just need Beirus to show up with his action. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it's going to be something along the lines of "Crush Coward. See him driven before me. Hear the lamentations of his women.", but I'd like to make it official.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:40:19 am by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 75