Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: burnedfx Graphic Set [12x12 / 24x24] - DF 0.47.04  (Read 92443 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: burnedfx Graphic Set [12x12 / 24x24]
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 04:28:09 am »

Did he specify those tokens or are they educated guesses? I might have missed them in the last FotF or whatnot.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 02:33:04 pm »

He specified the tokens via email on December 9th. He added the caveat that they might change before release, however his devlogs appear in sync with the idea that they haven't changed.

edit:
December 23rd, 2016 (DF 0.43.05)
**  Updated master level for Military Default textures in lieu of "scout types" for Dwarf and Human civs
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:23:28 pm by burned »
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »

I love the nudist hippy elves!

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 07:41:11 pm »

This update mainly changes the character tileset. The character tileset changed so much that I ended up renaming the file. So, if you liked the previous character tileset, keep a copy of it since I am only uploading the one I personally use. Bless Taffer's soul, but I am not about to get myself into maintaining multiple character tilesets. Heh.

The other tweaks to the creature tilesets should be self explanatory in the bfx_ReadMe.txt
The snapshot has also been updated in the OP.

@k33n Thanks. The dwarves are all bearded females and the elves are all nudist males. ;]

January 30th, 2017
**  Updated the majority of the alphanumeric tileset characters to mimic code page 437
**  Updated 020, 016, 017, 063, 209, 215, plus a few other miscellaneous tweaks
**  Renamed the character tileset and updated instructions to reflect the name change
**  Added Unicorn foal
**  Alignment fix for Aboveground_R_Y undead
**  Updated Merchant, Diplomat and Outpost Liaison for Dwarf, Human, Elf and Goblin civs (i.e. removed noble colors, better matched for the upcoming Artifact release professions, etc)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:51:53 pm by burned »

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2017, 09:32:21 pm »

As always I enjoy the style and nudist hippy elves, but can't help wondering if a line of slightly darker color or something at the bottom of the human priest/etc robes might help prevent the odd stacked-units look here:

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »

Thanks Max. I see what you mean.

I looked into this further and it looks like this mainly occurs with the "tall" human tiles and some of the goblin tiles. This is definitely more apparent in human libraries or libraries with more humans. Specifically most of the robed humans and a few of robed scholarly goblin tiles.

I did try your suggestion, but that made the the human tiles look short when height was part of the focus for them. But, you are right about the stacking. So, after thinking on it for a bit, I tried something a little different.

For the humans I differentiated the top color of the tile (rather than the bottom) to keep their height (even when stacked) . . .
Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Goblins (click to show/hide)
. . . and for the goblins I made the robes shorter in addition to changing the top color on the taller hats.

This keeps the height differences (which I like) and also inadvertently fixes that nagging sensation I got when I looked at the human keffiyehs.

I updated the download and the snapshot in the OP, but I did NOT update the screencap you linked to (yet). In the meantime, here are two screenshots with the fix in place (one is a manually edited version of the screencap you linked to for reference):
Spoiler: In Action (click to show/hide)

Thanks again Max.

February 4th, 2017
**  Various tweaks to most robed professions for Human and Goblin civs to prevent odd stacking.

edit: I've since edited the screencap Max linked to. For clarity, this is what he saw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:30:26 am by burned »

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2017, 10:49:14 pm »

Rock on, yeah, I was looking at it going down the list and my brain interpreted one of the priests literally on top of the other, which is totally amusing but not your intent I think.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 01:53:11 am »

Even though I made some tweaks to lessen the effect, I believe you can easily see multiple tiles look like they just popped the ultimate quadruple shoulder stand stunt with the poor dwarf as the base. ;]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2017, 08:39:20 pm »

Nah, the lack of overlap in the colors fixes it nicely.

Vitor_Goatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »

I am getting this error but the file in question IS in the right folder, what do?

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2017, 04:07:33 pm »

The only thing I can think of is that you followed steps 1 and 2, but possibly forgot to follow step 3. In other words, you may have very well installed the graphic set correctly (for new save files), but you generated a world prior to installing the set and forgot to update the graphics in an already existing save file.

Please let me know if this is the case.

edit: The above is just a guess. If you say the file is in that folder, but it says it's "Not found" - only one of those things can be true, you know? It's possible you updated the save file only - that dialog box doesn't tell me which raw folder it's referring to - only you know which raw folder you put the files in. To crystallize the ambiguity, there are two possible raw folders it could be referencing.

It's worth noting that if you plan to use the optional raws (not required to use the set) you will need to generate a new world regardless (see the bfx_readme.txt for further details).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:30:57 pm by burned »

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Vitor_Goatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 07:07:26 pm »

Okay, after looking into the files I found out why it wasn't working. Because I run a Linux machine, the DF folders can only be modified with root (admin) access. When I went into the raw folder to check I noticed that both it and the bfx folder had padlocks on it, which means that only root apps can access them. Dwarf Fortress cannot enter  those padlocked folders, therefore, it couldn't find the graphics files which it was supposed to load.

My guess is that when extracting files to the graphics folder I must have given root permissions to the archive manager, which in turn made the extracted folder require root access, which in turn made it impossible for DF to open them. I have since them removed the root requirements of the graphics folder and the bfx folder and now it works with zero problems.

I wanted to ask, what program did you use to make this set? Will you make themed versions of it (e.g. a spooky halloween one or maybe some season themed ones) or any other flavor of burnedfx? What mods and color schemes you recommend using with this other than the ones provided (I tried one with a psychedelic scheme and it was a real trip  ;))?

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2017, 04:59:44 pm »

I'm glad you figured out the problem. And, thanks for posting the explanation for others.

As for your questions . . .

. . . what program did you use to make this set?
Photoshop. Nothing GIMP or any other image editor couldn't do. That's just what's on this machine.

Will you make themed versions of it (e.g. a spooky halloween one or maybe some season themed ones) or any other flavor of burnedfx?
I believe I understand what you're asking and I'm certain the answer is no.

What mods and color schemes you recommend using with this other than the ones provided (I tried one with a psychedelic scheme and it was a real trip  ;))?
The only reason I offer two color schemes is because I couldn't be bothered to redo some of the previous screenshots. I've used the same basic "bfx" color scheme for 8 years before switching to "bfx bone" in 2015.

I suppose that makes my opinion on the matter pretty clear and the best neutral answer I could provide would be "Use the mods (if any) and color scheme that you like." But, if you want my recommendation I am torn between suggesting you play exactly as I do and irked by the indecisiveness of others.

So, go ahead and use the mods (if any) and color scheme that you like. =]

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2017, 09:17:12 am »

Just got this graphics set, and I love it! Good job!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2017, 06:01:22 am »

Haven't tried it in dwarf fortress mode, but it's funny cause I find the 12x12 too small and 24x24 too big, might be a case of adventure mode (?) though.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8