Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf Mode v1.06.03 [Cross-posted]  (Read 3242 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Elf Mode v1.06.03 [Cross-posted]
« on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »

Version 1.06.03 is ready! Download it here.
Here's a neat set of tiles by k33n that go nicely with this mod.
As one of the few non-elf-hating members of the community and a fan of elves in general, I've decided to give making elves an actual playable race a go. The main goal of this mod is to provide a fleshed out and distinct gameplay experience for elves without disrupting their role in Dwarf Mode. To this end, several features will be implemented and a few parts of the vanilla experience slightly modified to accommodate Elf Mode. Overall, consistency with the vanilla game will be maintained.
Implemented Features
-Elves appear as a playable civilization, complete with the nobles required for a fort to function
-The heartwood shrine generates wood for your elves to use at a slow rate, allowing a safe, nature-friendly method of building with wood
         -Currently generates featherwood, acacia, stonewood, and sunwood, as well as more heartwood. Uses the woodcutting and strand extraction labors.
-Two new types of wood to build with
          -Sunwood, a magma-safe material that serves as an excellent barrier between your retreat and fiery, tree-killing death.
         -Stonewood, a high-density tree that replaces the dwarven bloodthorns and evil glumprongs in an elven settlement.
-Kill your enemies and eat their corpses! Well, butcher them, THEN eat them. We're not savages.
-Elven professions renamed appropriately
-Create wooden weapons and armor.
-Infuse wood with the properties of metal (and learn why we use linked stockpiles in this mod)
-Summon seeds from nothing, such as the rare sun berry
-Create wooden mechanisms.
Planned Features
I'd gladly take suggestions. I'll probably end up finishing up the basic mod, then maintaining another mod that fleshes out elves even further, going past the original goals of the mod. Actually, I'm going to take a crack at making a version of this for MDF. That'll end up in MDF's forum, and it won't interfere with vanilla.
Known Bugs
-Gauntlets are unusable as they are not marked as left- or right-handed.
-Sunwood is unusable for constructions requiring fire- or magma-safe materials.
Other notes
Like I said before, you should be able to have Dwarf Mode be identical to what it was previously. It'd help me out if you installed the mod and just played as dwarves to see what happened. (The most that should is elves showing up with hammers and the occasional preference for one of the modded trees.) The mod is currently compatible with 40.11, and should be backwards-compatible if you edit your raws to add the right reactions and (optional) profession names instead of replacing.

Latest patch repaired the infusing reactions (all of them were broken) and multiplied the animal training skill rate by 10 for elves.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:54:30 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Mode v1.06.01 [Cross-posted]
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »

Why does this have no posts yet? Huh.

Anyway, gonna try this out. I have a world where goblins dominate the world and elves are restricted to two little isolated islands, so this shall open the way for elves to reclaim the mainland.

Any outstanding bugs so far?

Also, does Dwarf Therapist work with this?

Asking because I'm only be able to download a little later anyway.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:51:54 pm »

Outstanding bugs: ENTITY:FOREST doesn't have the mechanism reaction and gauntlets produced by the guardshaper aren't equip-able. Therapist should work.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:11:22 pm »

Outstanding bugs: ENTITY:FOREST doesn't have the mechanism reaction and gauntlets produced by the guardshaper aren't equip-able. Therapist should work.
The gauntlets from custom reactions will never work. Only permitted entries in the entity file, made in the forge work. The only fix is autofixhandedness.rb from dfhack.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:27:42 pm »

It also appears that I goofed and made it so any stone works for the reaction that's -supposed- to use bauxite to infuse stuff with aluminum. (Elves in this mod are much like vanilla; they're seriously shafted when it comes to valuable trade goods, and it makes sense for them to have the ability to get aluminum out of bauxite since they can also get metal out of, well, every other stone that has a metal in-game.)
GM of Trespassers V2.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Mode v1.06.03 [Cross-posted]
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 02:45:03 pm »

Wow, this is a really cool mod.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:09:06 pm »

The elves need a little love and your mod is a fascinating take on them.
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:32:36 am »

Let me know if you find any glitches. I -might- go about fixing the names of most of the new trees, making the grammar on the reactions less awkward (twas ideal for find+replace) and finding a way to make infused wood invalid for further pointless infusing. Improvements might also come about, but I can't go a whole lot further without affecting dwarf mode.

EDIT: Just figured one out myself. Add    [PERMITTED_REACTION:BREW_DRINK_FROM_PLANT][PERMITTED_REACTION:BREW_DRINK_FROM_PLANT_GROWTH] to the entity file for elves to get them to make booze.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:36:03 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.