Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden death of all my dwarves...at the same time  (Read 1136 times)

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sudden death of all my dwarves...at the same time
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:25:03 am »

I had just chosen a new embark site. Warm temperature, good stats despite aquifer; so I dug out my initial fortifications and channeled the river a bit closer to where I needed it, and then for some reason, my miners stopped digging the channel. Eh, normal enough; saved and got back to see if they were up for it now.

For some reason, now everyone was flashing.

I checked Dwarf Therapist. They were all thirsty, despite a river nearby; they all had lost ability to grasp and their fingers were blistered and bruised, and their lungs were also bruised; but the creepy part is how they died. I let the game run a few more minutes, and it showed one announcement of a death, but two corpses at my screen.

Then the game stopped working for a second, as it does sometimes.

And then I had succumbed to my end.

What in the name of Armok.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden death of all my dwarves...at the same time
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:06 am »

Was this an evil embark? If so, it could have been some syndrome. The game must have lagged just before all the Dwarves died, so you didn't get to see. Maybe legends can explain the cause of death?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:03:18 am »

Definitely a syndrome, and it seems to have been caused by rain, but that's the weird thing.

It's /not/ an evil embark.

However, this is a world that is half evil pretty much, so maybe the cloud moved?

I just tried a reclaim and I'm surviving a bit longer with two dwarves, keeping them inside.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:13:31 am »

Let's see what I remember of these... The choices are:

1. Syndrome. Somehow, it got on all dwarves at once.

2. Duplicated raws. Unless there's other weird stuff going on, unlikely.

3. Bug.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:53:22 am »

Maybe this bug? http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7399
And I remember there was an other (fixed) report, in which rain in hot biomes kill dwarves due to heat.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:53:55 am »

Maybe this bug? http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7399
And I remember there was an other (fixed) report, in which rain in hot biomes kill dwarves due to heat.

Don't think it was heat exhaustion. It was a warm biome, not hot, and the symptoms were way too synchronized to be death by heat.

The bug does seem to be that a non-evil biome simply has evil rain due to a little proximity. My only theory is that the cloud data somehow is making it larger than it needs to be, but I'm in doubt since I just started a fortress just northwest of it (and there's an npc fortress just above this, literally one tile above) and even when it was raining, everything was fine. Managed to embark and start making progress.

The only odd thing about this file is that it was a little experiment with parameters to make a world that wasn't Age of Heroes/Age of Myth for once, and I needed up with the Age of The Goblin. 50% of the world is goblin civ, and most of the dwarven has goblins in all the roles.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:06 am »

It seems like it could be proximity, interactions, or both. I remember back in v40.01 that the interactions were getting corrupted and all sorts of wackyness, so maybe DF can show the region's info. Does Therapist have any way to list the interactions of the biome?

Also, do biomes spread / move over worldgen? Like, do trees grow and a plains tile becomes a forest ? Maybe when a biome spreads / shifts, then it is not copying the interactions properly across tiles. Maybe that could be the proximity part, or something ...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »

Sometimes if there's two biomes bordering on each other, when you do that F1 F2  F whatever to select the one you want, it's easier to get caught in the middle, or pick one when you thought you picked the other.  Did you pick a neutral area next to an evil one?  I suppose it's possible for a syndrome cloud to waft your way.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 06:22:49 pm »

Maybe evil rain washes away into rivers nearby now? :O
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."