Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haunted Glacier  (Read 1154 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Haunted Glacier
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:52 pm »

I wanted to give myself a challenge, so I embarked on a haunted glacier with a necromancer tower 3 spaces away and a goblin fortress 5 spaces away. I'd never played on an evil biome or a glacier before so it's all pretty new challenge wise.

We dug in quickly to avoid the prowling undead ice wolves and after the first wave of migrants managed to slip undetected into the fortress we had to lock ourselves in. The first caravan came, and subsequently got slaughtered by the undead animals and re-animated by the evil terrain. Now there's a zombie horde hanging around the front entrance that every migrant wave gets killed by and re-animated.

My question is, do we resign ourselves to underground and in-breeding? Or is there a way to get migrants inside that I'm not thinking of? I'm already up to 32 engraved slabs and I'm thinking I'm going to have a very large tomb.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Haunted Glacier
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »

When in doubt: magma.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »

Tacomagic may be right here. A magma bath for the surface might solve the issue. Do you have any external constructions at all? You could build on top of those and set up a marksdwarf tower to plunk away at the undead from, or build a magma dispenser if you're feeling confident. You could also try building a few Z-levels up off the ground, then building a path far enough away from the dead that they won't see and murder migrants as they use your entrance. I actually don't know if you can build down Z-levels, though.

EDIT: or just do the same thing but digging underground.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:44:48 pm »

Dig a ring tunnle around the border of the map 1 more Z lvls down from the surface. At various points along this tunnle make sealable access shafts that lead up to the surface.  Idealy set it up so the shaft goes down 1 level from the tunnle with a hatch cover over that path, then goes up to the surface a couple spaces over.   Keep the hatches locked most of the time as monsters cant breach upward through a locked hatch.  When migrants arrive unlock the hatch closest to them untill either they all get inside or the undead get too close and risk geting into the tunnle.   You should be able to get the bulk of migrant waves inside unless they are unlucky enough to appear right on top of a bunch of undead.  Even then sometimes migrant hunters will wipe out small clusters of undead leting the rest get inside.

You will eventualy reach a point where the undead on the surface reaches a critical mass and there will be too many around to reliably get migrants in even with this method.   there will just be too many spread all over and all migrants will be fleeing constantly and not geting to safety.   When this happens you'll need to start culling the surface of undead.  Various trap designs that let a few in at a time to be killed off and disposed of before they reanimate agian are an option.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 12:24:02 am »

Dig a longish tunnelnthat comes up almost to the surface a little ways from the undead. Build drawbridges in it at both the ends, near your fort and the end near the surface, linked to a lever. Now breach to the surface beyond the outer bridge and have your miner run back into the fort (use a civilian burrow). When the undead come into the tunnel, pull the lever (which you put in a meeting area so there will be dwarves hanging out available to pull it immediately). Now you've got at least some of the undead trapped in the tunnel. leave them there and dig another tunnel, and repeat until you've got them all nicely trapped. It may take a while, but you've got time.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:27:20 am »

Haunted undead maps aren't really my play style, but I believe cage traps will catch them. Build rows and rows of underground cage traps with an airlock at one end of them. Then use a miner to breach the surface at the far end. Call him (and everyone else) to a borrow. When the undead fill the traps, lock the airlock and move to the next row of them.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:30:20 am »

You can find caverns going off the end of the map and hope that the caravan arrives from underground.

As for the zombie horde, you need some elaborate trap thing prepared under the surface, then let them in.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:56:02 pm »

You can find caverns going off the end of the map and hope that the caravan arrives from underground.

As for the zombie horde, you need some elaborate trap thing prepared under the surface, then let them in.

They can do that?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 11:03:21 pm »

Flooding glaciers with magma is very fun, very memorable. It's almost as good as the myth busters episode where they mix ice and thermite, when magma flows onto ice you basically get a rolling explosion of cave-ins splashing up water which reacts with the lava making more explosions. As well as being awesome, it will also make the surface inhospitable for life and undead.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:21 pm »

Also watch the furnace clan series. DFwanderingkid has a great setup up for his embark in the same circumstances.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 07:30:45 am »

If you're feeling confident, you could build something like this:

#########
---------------
~~~~~~~~~

#=The surface of the glacier in Ice (1 z-level thick)
-= Obsidian floors (you'll have to melt /mine the ice first and install floors, then let the ice freeze over it
~= Magma

You pump the magma in, the ice melts. You pump the magma out, the ice freezes, encasing any undead in it in ice.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 04:01:57 pm »

Its a well known fact the zombies like to conga into cage traps one at a time.  You can also let them into a ballista hall, or stage your military behind a series of doors.

I have not played verse undead in the new version, though:  I hear their are tougher so you may want to avoid contact.  When you do kill them you have to get them into a pit or burn them.  Gotta do it fast, because the parts will always get back up and you make only have a much more serious problem.

On the plus side, sieges won't increase due to time alone any more.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 04:06:28 pm »

Undead are definitely stronger now. Before, I used a necromancer to make dozens of punching bags for my dwarves. Now, I use them as a way to kill off dwarves with unlikeable traits in a gladiator arena, with the dwarf not lasting long, even in full armour.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.