Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Star Brick: Green Swirly Thing IN SPAAAAACE!  (Read 14842 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Star Brick: Green Swirly Thing IN SPAAAAACE!
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »

STAR BRICK

She once completed the Khrelan Spice Run in twelve parsecs (any merchant vessel constructed by the Imperial Sol Shipyards in the last century could make the necessary jumps in nine.)

Captains who see her come onto their viewscreen suddenly recall old tales of ghost ships, for a vessel this outdated surely must be a castaway from another time.

She once evaded an avaricious Tensarian scrap raider by powering down and pretending to be a worthless pile of debris; it did not take very much pretending.

She is the most miserable salvage sow in the Outer Rim, an alien hull patched and repaired beyond recognition, eternally wandering deep space far from anywhere anyone would choose to live. Her systems are the hodgepode product of a dozen races, with any given subsystem at least three generations out of date. Her engines are inefficient and take ages to spin up for a Deep Space Jump. Her gravity systems flicker at inconvenient times, usually just as you're about to sit in the loo. She doesn't even have a proper shipboard AI to run things, though most of the systems on board do have a generous degree of juryrigged automation. She'd fail any inspection she would be subjected to if she was taken inward, towards civilization and easy living.

She has no official registry, not with the Sol Imperium, not with the Aelyrai Caliphate, not even with the Ca'lal Republic or any number of lesser galactic powers. Her name is etched in one small corner of her tattered, battered hull, worn and weathered by plasma storms and meteoric impacts, but still legible. She is the Star Brick, and the only reason she still sails the void is because some people have nowhere better to go.

People like you.

The Star Brick scrabbles endlessly on the fringes of society, scrapping derelicts, mining abandoned asteroid fields, and dodging raiders and pirates and Aelyrain patrols while trying to find anything that can be turned into credits so you can to buy the fuel to do it all again. Because at the end of the day, living still beats dying.

Spoiler: What's all this then? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Applications (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:00:50 pm by monk12 »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Star Brick: Ragtag Misfits IN SPAAAAACE!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:18:58 pm »

Wosting to patch.

I might make an application later, but it's doubtful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:01 pm »

Monk12 is back, babby.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:56:26 pm »

Wosting to patch.

I might make an application later, but it's doubtful.
Same, although it's likely I'll make an application if I have time before this starts up. But definitely not tonight.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:25:42 pm »

Posting to remind myself to make a sheet.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:50 pm »

Posting for spagetti.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:17:13 am »

Name: Donnel "Apoc" Hortis
Class: Genius Eccentric Warp Engineer
Bio: Star Brick found him floating through space in a hunk of barely pressurized metal that he later identified, after receiving medical attention for the serious injuries he had sustained, as the engine room of the Kapinski. It was totally unrecognizable, the interior an amalgamation of torn and pointed metal that was simply too unsafe to explore completely.

"I was trying to make myself a coffee, you see. The pot in the break room was broken so the Captain asked me to do something about it. I took the busted brewer and hooked her up to the translight drive. And holy hell you guys, I gotta tell ya: antimatter joe has got one hell of a kick."

The end.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:20:07 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:58:43 am »

Name: Harold Harrison, aka: Hairy Harry.
Class: Hydroponics Engineer (In the loosest sense of both words)
Bio: A former space marine discharged due to massive psychological issues, Harry Hairy found the perfect home aboard the Star Brick. Her crew typically doesn't care that he considers each one of his hairs an independently sentient creature, and thus never cuts any part of his hair and only washes his hair when 'they' ask for it to be done. Even then, he only washes the section that asked to be washed. Even better than the typical attitude of the crew, the star brick's lack of anything resembling a mandated inspection schedule means that he doesn't have to hide the personal use medicinal 'carrots' that he frequently grows in the air processors.
  It's possible that Harold might have once been 'hired' (if such a formal term could be used for the process) for his experience as a space marine and his intimidatingly augmented (and horrifyingly hairy) physique. Unfortunately, his attitude toward conflict is typically one of vague surprise and attempted reconciliation. Instead, thanks to his homegrown experience with various plants, Harry has found his way into the hydroponics lab. Well, the hydroponics lab is actually a crew cabin (Harry's Cabin) that the ship's banjaxed hydro-cyclers keep partially flooded, but Hairy Harry makes do.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:00:53 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:24:52 am »

I like recycling characters from games that never really got started, give them another chance to exist, you know?
Name: Kit
Class: Button presser and lever puller.
Bio: A litter of 8 kittens with a linked hivemind, Kit has near-human intelligence and the ability to be getting in trouble in eight places at once! Master of the fine art of pressing buttons, the main reason to keep Kit around is she's able to substitute for the entire rest of the crew in a pinch, being eight tiny sets of untrained paws. Just don't expect anything like optimal operations while she does it. Kit "talks" using collars that can display up to 13 characters at once.

to quote Kit:
Code: [Select]
so button do?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:37:07 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:33:19 am »

I like recycling characters from games that never really got started, give them another chance to exist, you know?
:<

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 08:50:16 am »

:<
"S-she only got two turns! I... d-doesn't she deserve another chance? I... I mean... Uh..."
"and I applied here using the unmodified character sheet, not the one we actually used ingame, so..."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:01 am »

No it's cool. :> I still feel bad about failing to keep that one going.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:59 am »

Name: Captain Someone

Class: Deafblind Spacebard

Bio: Captain Someone is, as you may surmise, the closest thing dear old Star Brick has for a captain, a person quite singular in shape and talent. A skinny, though tall middle-aged woman with rather long hair, she is clad in a thick, light gray military uniform of unknown origin. Captain Someone is the de facto owner of the vessel merely by having outlived the rest of its previous occupants, and possibly even the occupants before them. She dwells on her bridge, having mutilated several of the more user-driven ship systems so that they can be operated via what look like multilayered organ keyboards, some of the keys marked with distinct notches. She really hates it when people touch her keyboards, it should be noted, and she shows a strange finesse with the operation of some of the things on board in a manner you might not expect.

As for what she has experienced, she can hardly say, and is unwilling to write, but the gestures she makes with her hands on other people's bodies seem indicative of not the most pleasant set of adventures, no doubt made worse by her seemingly tenuous grasp on the world around her. The one thing she appears to do aside from checking and messing around with the ship's systems is playing some variant of a zither, holding it upright with her jaw placed firmly on the upper part while keeping the other on some metal surface - this being the Star Brick, there's plenty of those around, of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 11:06:57 am »

Name:  Bill the Janitor

Class:  Janitor and Custodian

Bio:  Someone has to sweep the engine room, right?  Bill has been here for quite some time, placidly doing his best to keep this rustbucket clean.  In his 60s and graying, Bill still gets around well (since he's usually on his feet) and knows where almost everything is; a useful skill in a disorganized mess like this.  Gentle and always willing to listen, Bill is the closest thing the ship has to a psychologist.  He offers advice, but it's not nearly as good as his listening and cleaning.

By all appearances, he intends to keep cleaning the ship until he dies in it one day; he shows no interest in ever leaving.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »

Gosh.

I wish I could be more constructive, but right now I can't. Nice looking ship monk!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8