Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: View description field of mineral & tree & plant  (Read 940 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
View description field of mineral & tree & plant
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:24:37 am »

Dwarf mode: what if k-look function would display a description of plant/tree/mineral when cursor is over such. This way player could inspect what the plant is good for, what is known to occur in this mineral.

Examples: Learn that nether-cap is COLD, by reading the description text while inspecting the tree in-game. Learn that tree X is the densest tree in the game world. Learn from Gabbro's description that 'this is the only mineral that contain garnierite, an ore of nickel.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: View description field of mineral & tree & plant
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:41:40 am »

There are some comments in the raws that could help with some of this, but I'm not sure some of that data exists yet unless you have the game compare to max/min density, or tell you about materials that are magically hot or cold.

Speaking of dense woods, ironwood should be added someday.  I don't think any wood in game is denser than water, though I haven't researched raws recently either.  Most of the trees are in a pretty narrow range of densities, actually, something like 300-600 kg/m^3 with a few outliers that are out of that range (like balsa and ironwood).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:34:28 am »

There are some comments in the raws that could help with some of this, but I'm not sure some of that data exists yet unless you have the game compare to max/min density, or tell you about materials that are magically hot or cold.

I read the suggestion as adding a [DESCRIPTION] tag to the raws, in addition to the [PREFSTRING] that we have now.  The decision would be how far down the hole do we go with this: We want a description of the banana tree, but do we want a separate description of the banana leaves, banana seeds and banana fruit?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:55:29 am »

I read the suggestion as adding a [DESCRIPTION] tag to the raws, in addition to the [PREFSTRING] that we have now.  The decision would be how far down the hole do we go with this: We want a description of the banana tree, but do we want a separate description of the banana leaves, banana seeds and banana fruit?
Yes, if this is done there's no reason not to make it a generic superclass method sort of thing for pretty much any object down the tree. Still optional, though (might add lag or just clutter if you don't care)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:58 pm »

Also the logs that the banana tree outputs :) "These are banana tree wood logs. They make bad, low-quality furniture."

Current system it is just a mystery to novice players which minerals do what, what can occur in sedimentary stone...
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:09:04 pm »

Current system it is just a mystery to novice players which minerals do what, what can occur in sedimentary stone...
“We'll be saying a big hello to all intelligent lifeforms everywhere and to everyone else out there, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys.”
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map