Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame Cave Spider Door Death  (Read 1979 times)

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
Tame Cave Spider Door Death
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:05:03 am »

Alright so I have a silk farm full of tamed cave spiders and I've noticed that apparently the poor arachnids are getting killed when moving through a doorway tile at the same time as a dwarf entering or exiting the room. From what I've seen the door slams shut killing the spider. I have the doors set to pet-impassable. Anyone else notice this before?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:34:52 am by Harken »
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: Tame Cave Spider Door Death
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:22:34 am »

Yeah, vermin get killed in doors. Maybe try making the room only accessible through a staircase with a hatch cover on the floor above? I'm not sure if hatches kill vermin but if it's on a different floor you're probably safe since i don't think tame vermin_grounder will use stairs.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »

i keep forgetting that vermin are persistent creatures even when not visible.  I'm assuming you just cage and release them in the room and get silk?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:53:13 pm »

Yeah, vermin get killed in doors. Maybe try making the room only accessible through a staircase with a hatch cover on the floor above? I'm not sure if hatches kill vermin but if it's on a different floor you're probably safe since i don't think tame vermin_grounder will use stairs.

Using a hatch is a good suggestion, I'll have to try that next fort. So if I allow access only from above or below they won't attempt to migrate up/down the stairs?

i keep forgetting that vermin are persistent creatures even when not visible.  I'm assuming you just cage and release them in the room and get silk?

Cage released, yes. Though I have noticed that even with tame spiders they'll still occasional bite your dwarves.
So I have a custom silker profession set so a single dwarf spends his life collecting the webs.
He's already been bitten so it's not a big deal.

I ended up altering the entrance a bit to make it more difficult for the spiders to reach the door, hopefully this will cut down on spider smashings.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:01:52 pm by Harken »
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.