Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Is the constant simulation of the game world worth getting 1/5th the FPS?  (Read 23678 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the constant simulation of the game world worth getting 1/5th the FPS?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 11:16:31 am »

As far as I know, there's zero evidence that the new world simulation has a major impact on FPS.  However, there are many new and old bugs (a few of which have already been fixed) that do have a demonstrable major impact on FPS -- the usual stuff like pathfinding spam.

Agreed, lets not go making stuff up and then use that as a reason not to play...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 11:20:48 am »

Yep, I wonder what Toady is going to do with this. Parallelization of a complex algorithm can be hard or even impossible, but it has to be done at some point, otherwise this problem won't resolve by itself.

You are correct.  However, he could core say, the fortress on one core, and then all water calculations on another. However, a complex algorithm must be on a single core.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »

There are two things I think lower my FPS: opening up caverns because the silly spiders never stop making nets and all the xcloth spamx. I'm trying to get my dwarfs to wear leather armor now but some outright refuse and rip their armor off their bodies as soon as I cancel their station. Dunno why, they were quite content with the armor only a minute ago... :(

Anyway, between having the outside world change and being able to explore the caverns I'd take the caverns every time. So many interesting creatures down there.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 03:43:32 pm »

There are two things I think lower my FPS: opening up caverns because the silly spiders never stop making nets and all the xcloth spamx. I'm trying to get my dwarfs to wear leather armor now but some outright refuse and rip their armor off their bodies as soon as I cancel their station. Dunno why, they were quite content with the armor only a minute ago... :(

Anyway, between having the outside world change and being able to explore the caverns I'd take the caverns every time. So many interesting creatures down there.
When you look at the army in scheduling mode (i think)There's an option for the squad to remain in uniform when off/on duty.  By default, its set to tell the dwarves to use their uniform when only on duty.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 09:08:46 pm »

It is.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 12:47:05 am »

lots of useful advice
I'm doing all this and getting 30 fps in the second year with twenty dwarves. I even made it an aboveground-only fort and dfhacked away the single cavern - that gave a small boost for a while until the next dip. There is only one z-level of air above the ground because there are no trees because of some mod or something. No magma, even, and that shows how desperate I am.
I hope optimizations are coming, and they fix this, because otherwise I can't play my favorite game properly.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 01:19:28 am »

lots of useful advice
I'm doing all this and getting 30 fps in the second year with twenty dwarves. I even made it an aboveground-only fort and dfhacked away the single cavern - that gave a small boost for a while until the next dip. There is only one z-level of air above the ground because there are no trees because of some mod or something. No magma, even, and that shows how desperate I am.
I hope optimizations are coming, and they fix this, because otherwise I can't play my favorite game properly.

All that and you're still only getting 30 FPS? What did you get in 34.11?

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 01:38:06 am »

Can't remember. Better than 30, at least.
Going back means missing out on all the bugfixes and new plants, though, and it feels like taking a step back.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 06:48:17 am »

Isn't this a problem that will eventually be solved by Moore's Law?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:57 am »

Moore's Law is an observation, not really a law. The rate of increase in CPU and GPU speeds is already decreasing, and tending more towards more cores than more peformance for single cores.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:34 am »

Well, third year inn, 98 Dwarves , havent breached aquifer ( Mining a mountain and going down slowly ) , no cavern layers breached yet , embark year 125 , med num of civs, beast etc
Went from 100 Fps down to 34.

Cpu (not the best in IPC) FX 83500 @ 4.5 Ghz , 1600Mhz Ram @ 9 9 9 9 24.

On my old fort I could have several minecart roads , pump stations , underground plumbing and 200 dwarves before it got this bad (And lower section breached as well).

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 10:39:36 am »

( Mining a mountain and going down slowly )

Pretty sure that has something to do with your troubles. How much stone do you have laying around, eating up memory?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 03:00:45 pm »

When doing any large amount of mining, I get a pair of stone crafters going, and my jeweler cutting my most abundant stone as well as low gems. In a volcano, this actually provides stone crafts worth more than some lower metals, and a lot of gems for a gem setter to practice on. It both reduces free-floating stone, and triples the wealth of my fortress, with two legendary stone crafters constantly working, a gem cutter cutting, and a gem setter setting, and cuts down on the item-FPS drain.  I bought out the entire first caravan on obsidian and marble crafts, and got 10 FPS above my normal amount.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 04:17:44 pm »

Moore's Law is an observation, not really a law. The rate of increase in CPU and GPU speeds is already decreasing, and tending more towards more cores than more peformance for single cores.

Furthermore, Moore's law was never about performance; it is about transistor count which is not quite the same thing. Since cramming in more transistors tends to require smaller components and smaller components generally lead into faster clock speed those things go pretty well hand in hand.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »

( Mining a mountain and going down slowly )

Pretty sure that has something to do with your troubles. How much stone do you have laying around, eating up memory?

Nothing compared to previous versions.
probably something like 1 / 100th of a 34.xx game.

Also, using stone for some crafts will tripple the amount of items , turining stone into blocks will make 3 blocks out of 1 stone and so on.
Construction wise I havent even started on the outside fortress that Is usually built inn previous 34.xx versions , anyway I will try and compare and see if I can find certain culprints.

Anyway some Numbers :

Wood : 1546 Logs
Stone : 3461

The only number that does stick out and that is a bit odd is "small live animals : 51318" of which most are live honey bees.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11