Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Is the constant simulation of the game world worth getting 1/5th the FPS?  (Read 23889 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Is the constant simulation of the game world worth getting 1/5th the FPS?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 06:42:41 pm »

I'd suggest atom smashing those logs. 100 is enough for almost anything you'd want. And turning stone into crafts allows you to sell them in bulk using bins, which carts off (in my most recent sale to the humans) about 200 stones per year. That's 200 stones not clogging processes, since I sold about 600 stone crafts, and still got a lot of items out of it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »

The ability to toggle off active worlds during play would be a welcome addition, at the very least to see if its a major culprit all by itself.. The worst new-version lag I've got is when I leave 'site pop cap after worldgen' setting above 400 or so and try to walk around towns..

Also, if anyone wants to properly report a bug for me, or see if its already been reported: I had "The Peregrine Falcon is fighting." in the log, saw where a hunter shot its wing off, zoomed to the location of this event and there is a spatter of peregrine falcon blood hovering up in the air on the level it was struck.. Checked to make sure it wasn't sitting on the very top of a tree too (it isn't).. Sounds like a trivial bug, but you never know what kind of potential internal turmoil some hovering liquid may inflict on DF's fragile inner workings :>

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:26 pm »

I'd suggest atom smashing those logs. 100 is enough for almost anything you'd want. And turning stone into crafts allows you to sell them in bulk using bins, which carts off (in my most recent sale to the humans) about 200 stones per year. That's 200 stones not clogging processes, since I sold about 600 stone crafts, and still got a lot of items out of it.

I Atom smashed every single stone and every single log, didnt even give me an +1 in fps.
So the problem is elsewhere.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 07:00:33 am »

Though you may be complaining, constant simulation is the basis of future updates. The world should not be static outside the player's fortress.

Despite using a fairly rubbish laptop, my fort of 200 dwarves ran fine in v40 if I atom smashed my refuse.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 07:04:51 am »

Well if low FPS is the future of the game... I bet Toady is working on some ways to increase FPS. I got an FPS boost from average of 40-50 to an average of 60-70 after 40.11, so maybe FPS improvement is part of his plan.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 09:57:10 am »

Well if low FPS is the future of the game... I bet Toady is working on some ways to increase FPS. I got an FPS boost from average of 40-50 to an average of 60-70 after 40.11, so maybe FPS improvement is part of his plan.

Look at his most recent changes on his blog post.

I mean, almost everything changed here could have a direct affect on FPS in a positive way. This is great news.
09/13/2014Toady One Some more bugs were fixed. Probably no log tomorrow.
Fixed item storage crash related to minecart being destroyed
Stopped dwarves from trying to clean their own missing or internal body parts
Fixed problem with siege operator skill check (Quietust)
Stopped inside above ground corpses/corpse pieces from being destroyed periodically
Made outside refuse order respect inside/outside instead of above ground/subterranean
Stopped evaporation of inside above ground water from depending on the weather
Stopped water items on the ground from being cleanable -- they evaporate instead
Made water spatter evaporate properly over time
Made "place item in tomb" job governed by burial instead of item hauling labor
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 10:09:00 am »

Yep, I wonder what Toady is going to do with this. Parallelization of a complex algorithm can be hard or even impossible, but it has to be done at some point, otherwise this problem won't resolve by itself.

Multi-core + multi threading is very hard on memory management.

You need to know exactly where every piece of all data is stored because your now passing it between threads and cores.  It's not 'simple' and many AAA games don't even handle it. 

This is 1 developer with a very complex world and interactive world with loads of calculations on more things than most games every track.

Put it this way, this is basically like running Skyrim, but actually way more complex because every single creature has thoughts, interactions, likes etc, that change based on real time gameplay.  It's not pre-scripted for those. That is a ton of calculations all the time.   

With all of these variables and interactions moving to multi-threading would be tricky.  Then you want to move cores?   Full engine re-write. Because when you do that, you want to move to 64bit also.

if I could get my graphics card to handle the calculations for the game it would probably handle it better since they are so much better in that regard, there's a reason they use them for bitcoin mining.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 10:50:25 am »

Put it this way, this is basically like running Skyrim, but actually way more complex because every single creature has thoughts, interactions, likes etc, that change based on real time gameplay.

Yeah, this game's logic is far, far more complex than Skyrim's. Every time I think about all the processing that must be going on it makes my head spin. If you could marry Skyrim's graphics with DF's program logic you would have the perfect game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 10:52:03 am »

I think representing everything graphically would be a bit hard to do, and make it the most gory game every, and probably get it banned because of violence towards children.

On the other hand, getting temperature and pathfinding on other cores would be great for FPS. ;)

Fun Fact: I had to get a FPS capper for Skyrim to get it down to 60 FPS, because it was running at ~200 and the ingame physics break.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »

Multithreading would probably take years to add to this game, and would never increase FPS by more than a factor of 2x or so, realistically, if you're lucky.

It would be an absolutely terrible investment of Toady's time that IMO he should never ever do.

There are probably 30 other things he could optimize whenever he gets around to them that would take days or a week and have just as much of an impact as multithreading would. He's just not working on optimization right now, that's all.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 08:53:59 pm »

1: fix things. 2: add things 3: fix more things 4: fix even more 5: add one or two more things 6: optimize.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 03:31:07 am »

Multithreading would probably take years to add to this game, and would never increase FPS by more than a factor of 2x or so, realistically, if you're lucky.

It would be an absolutely terrible investment of Toady's time that IMO he should never ever do.

There are probably 30 other things he could optimize whenever he gets around to them that would take days or a week and have just as much of an impact as multithreading would. He's just not working on optimization right now, that's all.

Toady wants to add much more to the game then there is already, and it may even get to a point that even with everything optimized the game may be simply unplayable to how much he wants to add. I agree that he should not multi thread the game right now, however if he wants that the game has his a FPS road block, he may have no choice or cut some stuff out of the game. This is of course far down the road and a complete theory, however I mention this because I simply disagree that you say "He should never ever do this", you, me, and ToadyOne do not know this. Anything may occur.

Another thing I would like to mention is... well, he kind of is doing some optimizations... well at least in the way of fixing bugs right now. Look at his recent blog post. "Made water spatter evaporate properly over time, Stopped water items on the ground from being cleanable -- they evaporate instead, Stopped dwarves from trying to clean their own missing or internal body parts." These fixes may have a direct impact on FPS. I dont know whether to classify it as optimizations, but I do feel that ToadyOne is realizing that leaving Optimizations til last is not the right answer (a guess of course.)
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

fratze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 07:49:06 am »

i think we all will be having better machines to play on eventually.. i'm fine with mine from 2001. it only has one processor so it's pretty fast running, though, i get about 21 fps on average in my current fort of 24..................... i love it, still, it's my precious.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 08:15:33 am »

This sounds like we're getting slowly to a point, where the development of a game done by one person reaches the maximum of whats doable. Like a natural barrier.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11