Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Metallic Rust  (Read 2314 times)

WertyMiniBot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metallic Rust
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:39:23 pm »

Over time, metals such as iron and steel should react with oxygen to become rust. Rusting of metallic objects should decrease their value, make them uglier to look at, make it worse as a weapon, make it worse as armor, make it less mobile (like a rusted minecart), etc. It should be possible to clean the rust off, though. Of course, it would take quite a while for the object to become rusted, but if you let it rust too long, it will eventually become useless until you clean it off.

By the way, would silver, copper, bronze, adamantine, etc. be vulnerable to rust? If so, then those weapons could rust much like iron, perhaps at different speeds, too.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metallic Rust
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »

Bloat145, RUST, (Future): Rust and verdigris and so on.

Planned ^^

(verdigris is copper/brass/bronze "rust" btw)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:31:09 pm »

Silver didn't actually tarnish much before the industrial revolution started putting more sulfur into the atmosphere, but when items react with eachother/liquids/gasses/dusts, it would make sense for volcanic emissions to tarnish silver.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:29:23 pm »

I'd assume adamantine and divine materials would be impervious to rusting; didn't toady make it so addy clothing no longer decays over time in one of the patches?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »

I'd assume adamantine and divine materials would be impervious to rusting; didn't toady make it so addy clothing no longer decays over time in one of the patches?

The no clothing decay was there as a temporary stop gap measure because currently the game handles clothing... BADLY.

Also I guess even if you were to assume Divine materials COULD rust... They kind of have to not to... or at least have some form of regeneration.

Too bad equipment damage isn't in yet but I suspect we will have to wait for the combat arc.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:35:35 pm »

Divine materials shouldn't rust, at least if artifacts are to remain indestructible.

Hopefully by the time rust and equipment damage come along, trade will be better. Importing metal bars really sucks right now

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:46 pm »

Divine materials shouldn't rust, at least if artifacts are to remain indestructible.

Hopefully by the time rust and equipment damage come along, trade will be better. Importing metal bars really sucks right now
You're looking forward to importing rusted metal bars?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:03:23 pm »

...didn't toady make it so addy clothing no longer decays over time in one of the patches?
I don't think so. There's a DFHack fix for it, but it might be disabled by default.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:16:39 pm »

Candy and divine metals shouldn't rust or damage, thus making them even better.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:57 pm »

Well Candy... No it shouldn't rust.

Divine Metals? I'd let it slide.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 01:37:14 pm »

I'd like to see a wider assortment of Divine Materials, and they should be more-or-less consistent with one another.  If the Divine Silk is going to wear out (even if at a greatly decreased rate) then the Divine Metal should rust.  If some of the materials are ageless then they all should be.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »

Or each one could have different qualities.

Could be very interesting if there was a divine material that could rust... but doesn't get eaten away.

Or if some of them could be restored (as in it takes damage, but regenerates)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:35:42 pm »

If divine metals rust you're going to have some very sad Angels after any significant world gen. That, or they're going to be constantly begging their god for new clothes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 01:37:35 pm »

You're looking forward to importing rusted metal bars?
my thinking was that rusted stuff would have to be replaced, thus demanding a steady supply of metal

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 12:43:59 pm »

If divine metals rust you're going to have some very sad Angels after any significant world gen. That, or they're going to be constantly begging their god for new clothes.

Assuming they can't make those materials themselves, or those materials aren't an extension of them, or the materials cannot repair themselves somehow (a common theme is a weapon does age, rust, and get damaged... but in the right hands it restores itself) or is simply of such amazing make that it is resistant even if the materials aren't.
Pages: [1] 2