Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companion weapon use and fighting levels  (Read 586 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companion weapon use and fighting levels
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:39:08 pm »

You should be able to specifically request a companion in Adventure Mode to use a weapon in their inventory other than the one they'd otherwise prefer. For example getting a swordsdwarf with a steel longsword to use a silver dagger to kill a werewolf, or back you up with archery as you fight creatures in the water instead of trying to path in. When companions have training weapons in hand their combat approach should be training, allowing you to hit them with training weapons and both of you to begin skill training. These could require various levels of trust, as convincing someone to attack an elephant with a carps corpse when they have a warhammer shouldn't be something everyone can do.

Additionally, there needs to be a 'C' combat setting option for the level of combat you want to engage in when move-attacking a creature. You should be able to set non-lethal and your adventurer will try to stick to punching limbs or bashing extremities. Setting it to training should make all attacks the light touches from Arena Mode, but should still be seen as escalating after the first few hits if the creature you're attacking isn't a companion. Wild animals would have no reason to respond to your pokes with gentle taps, and random civilians should be annoyed by getting slapped in the side by a sword, even if it's soft.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Companion weapon use and fighting levels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 03:07:17 pm »

I completely agree with this. I gave a pikeman an iron pike, whereas he was using a copper one, and he never used it. I gave an elf swordsman a steel short sword, and he preferred his wooden one, even though this was an exceptional crafted short sword from a very elf-friendly. It's rather ridiculous.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Companion weapon use and fighting levels
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:15 pm »

nice idea, companion weapons needs to be implemented in every game, why cant we have dwarves trowing a dagger before engaging on melee? Or a archer to fight with daggers when enemies come too close.