Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are dwarves dependent on alcohol?  (Read 2212 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Are dwarves dependent on alcohol?
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:49:30 pm »

I have noticed that my dwarf adventurer is as fast (or slow) as he was when he started, despite drinking only water (from puddles!). Does it mean that his description doesn't mean anything and he is not alcohol dependent? Not that I've found any alcohol. Is this a prohibition time or just to make things easier for the adventure mode?

/By description I mean a short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry. Well, he's short./

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are dwarves dependent on alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

Just to make things easier for adventure mode.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:52:04 am »

Now I feel sorry for all these Brewers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:25:54 pm »

Well, booze doesn't freeze as readily as water. It's pretty convenient.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:21:20 am »

Well, booze doesn't freeze as readily as water. It's pretty convenient.

To be honest I haven't found any booze at all. There are brewers and there are plants for sale but I can't see drinks. I was starting to get alarmed when I noticed that I don't slow down.

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
  • The english is NOT my native language. Sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:21:26 am »

I can't find any drinkable item than the water either ;_;

I wanted to spit in a dragon's body while I start laughing maniatically AND drink booze ;__;

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:42:18 am »

There probably won't be any booze until the Caravan Arc. You can always get some from a retired/abandoned fort of yours though.

You can't even order any drinks in the taverns or drinking mounds right now either.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:51:43 am by smjjames »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »

You can't even order any drinks in the taverns or drinking mounds right now either.

:o It's like... hell on earth. At least for a proper dwarf. No wonder they prefer to die quickly.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:39:58 am »

In legend mode we can find event that a giant stole a barrel of beer.  Can we find such beer in his lair?

Incidentally, vermin paste will not freeze either. But the amount is quite limited.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:56 am »

In what section of Legend can I find such events? My animals located in lairs are dingo, cougar, cougar, dingo, cougar, cougar and cougar. No badgers so far. Legends are very user unfriendly, because of finicky search.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:39:29 pm »

according to my possobly inaccurate memory, I found that event in the entry for a civ, which should be listed under "entity".
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 11:20:17 pm »

I once managed to find a barrel or two of Dwarven Ale in a fort I'd lost, but other than that I don't think you can find booze anywhere.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:04:56 am »

according to my possobly inaccurate memory, I found that event in the entry for a civ, which should be listed under "entity".

Okay, following this I found that a giant, a few ettins, and a whole bunch of bears were stealing booze throughout history. But all of them are dead. Either of old age (most bears) or killed. Plus the events don't show the bit about bringing the item to the lair. It was probably consumed on the spot.

Anyway, one of the cities most frequently invaded for alcohol should be easy to loot for my group. The city finally fallen to a Forgotten Beast, and an elf and a human were trying to reconquer it, but they were killed by the FB, which still lives here. I suppose they were looking for alcohol. Since the FB is the only guard left, it's only logical to go there and find some barrels. My group should have no problems, because of our bot numerical and moral superiority.