?
- 0 (0%)
!
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 21, 2014, 09:36:21 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Natural History Museum "Adventurer succession world"  (Read 13350 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Natural History Museum "Adventurer succession world"
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

The Modified Game:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rse9cmz4io3ooap/Phoebus%2040.13.zip?dl=0
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Goal:
   Have one of every type of thing in the world: animals (their bodies at least), plants, minerals, undead, peoples, cultural artifacts, ect... displayed in a display case in the Dwarven Natural History Museum.

The rules:
   Players will have until the next Saturday after a save has been posted, (if the save was posted on a Thursday or a Friday, the Saturday after the nearest one will be used instead), to get an adventurer to successfully produce something for the Museum.  Each adventurer's progress must be posted to the group, however - we want the stories of those who died horrible deaths in failure as well as the lucky few who make a proper submission to the Museum.  Once a submission has successfully been made, the Player has until the end of that same week to play all of their seasons in fortress mode.  If Saturday comes around without all those awarded seasons being used up, the Player will get a star next to their name on the turn list for every season they have remaining and will be able to spend them in future turn/s without needing to first have an adventurer bring a new item to the Museum.

New adventurers must begin from one of the four wings of the Natural History Museum, but may retire anywhere they please, not including any of the wings of the Museum. (At least until Toady gets that nasty crash bug fixed)

Once an adventurer has brought something new to one of the wings of the museum, they gain the right to play 1 season of fortress mode in that wing per item submitted (items must be different from what is already displayed and not already in a display case to count.)

Set up a display case (in the "workshop" menu) using the item to be displayed somewhere in the above-ground building, then feel free to make any additions or new constructions/excavations that you like until the awarded seasons are finished.  If your week's turn isn't used up yet, feel free to make an off-site dwarven fortress somewhere nearby - military camps or "way stations" have both been suggested.

Any constructions left unfinished due to time running out will be able to be used by the next Player to be awarded one or more seasons of fortress play.  Players may build new furniture, buildings or workshops, but may not remove any of these that have already been built by Players in the past.  If a site has been built up so much that there is no more room for new constructions, the moderator (Timeless Bob) will add a new 2x2 embark to one edge of the maxed out area as an extension of that "wing".

Dwarves may be given a nickname by Players, but no future Player is allowed to change that dwarf's nickname afterwards.  Professions are likewise changeable - try to make the new profession name describe what they do, with the title of "Professor" only given to dwarves that make an artifact.  (For instance, a dwarf that makes a ruby piccolo might become the "Professor of Crystalline Harmonics" as their profession.) 

With time, we'll have a large faculty of professors who cover a wide and weird range of subjects.  Professors may be given squads of "students" to teach in "classrooms" and those students who excel under these professor's guidance may become lecturers of the subject by their own merit.  Dwarven logic can persuade even the roughest of goblin debaters, given enough schooling.

Turn list:
1) ptb_ptb
2) pisskop
3) Planky Now Playing (Turn ends by: Oct 4th)
4) Timeless Bob
5) tonnot98
6) Chaosfiend
7) pisskop

Maps:
   Small

Large

3d Model:

Current Events:
   2000:

2001:

2002:

2003:

2004:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:00:43 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: The Natural History Museum "Adventurer succession world"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:30:29 pm »

Seeing as I'm the one who's challenge started this whole thing, I've started work on a Gdocs file with all the parts I can glean from the Wiki so we can check off what we have. This will likely be very incomplete, but should at least provide the skeleton.

Edit: Link is here.
Incomplete, I know, But it's 11:10 here and I need to take a shower.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:14:44 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:37 pm »

Well done so far.  If the wiki is incomplete, this may help update it as well.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:31:48 pm »

Yea  I just went through all of the farm-able plant files and there's a lot.  I would like to see this happen.
It appears possible that not every plant may occur, but I doubt it, the frequency rates are super high.

Are you including inedible products, like flour?

Spoiler: plants_crops (click to show/hide)
without flour or any product
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:57:14 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 12:10:24 am »

I am definetly interested.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:03:28 am »

OK, so that makes four of us.  I'll post the map and save file shortly - Each one of us needs to pick two possible starting places, then I'll label each one on the map with a number and set up a poll to see which one wins.

EDIT
Forum polling to see which site is best will take too long.  I choose the north central island, the dwarven civ in that little protected valley.  The north center continent has both good and evil areas, lots of good mountains, forests and grasslands, so if we start by collecting just from that lake near the civ, then expand to the mountains and grasslands of the valley, then expand out of that protected valley we can harvest from the "Good" area nearby, then adventurers can range farther afield for the "evil" submissions (we may need glass cells to keep the undead contributions from swarming out, eh?)  I can see it now, a whole "necromancy wing" where visitors must sign a waiver before being allowed inside to see The Horrors Which Are Held Captive Within the Glass Vaults... (heh).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:31:52 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 06:05:12 am »

Just a thought, but you could regen the start world with the Plantfix mod.
()==[:::::::::::::>

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »

PTW
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:10 pm »

Just a thought, but you could regen the start world with the Plantfix mod.

Good idea - I'm using the Phoebus tileset, so if your mod is compatible with that, I'll use it.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »

Good idea - I'm using the Phoebus tileset, so if your mod is compatible with that, I'll use it.

It's not my mod, I just use it. :)

It does include a set of files for use with the Phoebus tileset, however.

The only drawback is a tendency to build up unusable leaves when processing plants. It doesn't seem to cause much trouble to me though.

BTW, how long are you planning for each 'turn'? I guess the first turns will be the starting four players making the initial museums?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »

I was thinking that we'd all choose one of the locations by poll, then I'd set up four rudimentary areas (basically four 2x2 embarks sharing their borders using "Play Now!".  Initial building will be a 5x5 roofed log cabin with one wooden door leading in and the beasties pastured out front. Each cabin would be built in the corner of the embark that would face the three other embarks, such that when visited in adventure mode, they all seem to be grouped together.  Any Player that successfully brings a new item to one of the four "wings" will get a 1-season fortress turn (ie: play until the announcement of the next season) to put their submission on display and add any new things to the "wing" that they like.

I imagine that the wings will have many new additions started that will not be completed, but that just means that the next Player to bring a submission in can use that for their own ends, making a delightful chaos after a few rounds.

I imagine that the expedition leader of each embark will have their profession changed to "Professor" <name>. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:12:36 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 02:02:37 pm »

Going to use DFHack to 'lair' the locations so that items don't get scattered between turns? Oh, and I suspect animals will need to be put in cages to stop them being randomly relocated into caverns.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 03:17:44 pm »

I suspect using Dfhack to "lair" the sites may cause anybody who emigrates away from them to be an enemy of the civ that founded them, so possibly not.  (Unless, of course, somebody sets them up with a strong and numerous militia - they may become conquerors of their own)

Animals may relocate anyway - ones from the caverns may relocate up to the surface too - all a day in the life for Museum curators I suppose.

On second thought, I don't think we'll be using DFhack in this game.  Too easy to have an adventurer use "slayrace" to get past all dangers, which is a cheat I really don't see being beneficial to the game.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:37:38 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:20:31 pm »

It's not my mod, I just use it. :)

It does include a set of files for use with the Phoebus tileset, however.

The only drawback is a tendency to build up unusable leaves when processing plants. It doesn't seem to cause much trouble to me though.

BTW, how long are you planning for each 'turn'? I guess the first turns will be the starting four players making the initial museums?

Each turn should last 1 real-world week for adventure mode or 1 in-game season for fortress mode.  I suspect that adventure mode will last longer than one season for successful adventurers, but much shorter for the unsuccessful ones, so it should all work out to be about even in the end.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:24 am »

On the whole 'items and or monsters may go walkabout' thing I suggest a bit of caution. Better to take care now than be stuck with the fallout later. If you make sure you get saves from just before the adventurer / fortress retires then you will be able to check what happens to the stuff while keeping a backup in case it doesn't turn out well. I've also had trouble with retiring adventurers and unretiring fortresses before.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10