Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidents happen...  (Read 497 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Accidents happen...
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:41:27 am »

So there's a forgotten beast blob made of flame in my caverns right now. I had the brilliant idea of tapping my caverns outside my fortress so if was lazy about walling it off they'd still have to path up to the surface before they could attack me. The downside of this is the forgotten beast in theory has a clear path to the fortress. Instead however he's dicking around in the water of the caverns destroying my FPS by boiling away lakes. Everytime I send soldiers after him they either A) stop because pathing to him is too difficult through the flowing water or B) get annihilated before they even get a shot at attacking him. I've heard flame FB die in one hit but I can't even seem to get that off.

Problem too is I accicentally tapped one of the three magma pipes on my map to dump into the same cavern. It is slowly flooding the cavern with magma, also killing my FPS as it hits water.

So... should I keep going and hope one problem solves the other? Or should I just quite now rather than slogging through a 10 FPS battle between accidental magma flooding and a fire blob?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Accidents happen...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:00 am »

Use a crossbow unit? One hit is enough.

Or dfhack, if its just about saving FPS.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:37:50 am »

Well, as Meph says, stopping the FB is pretty easy with a marksdwarf. But that doesn't solve your magma problem, and there really isn't a way around that except to block up the tunnels you've created somehow so the magma stops flowing. If the FB will get encased in obsidian at some point this will solve itself, however that isn't likely because he needs to be submerged in water when the magma hits, and he boils away the water around him. If he's submerged in magma when water hits him, that might work.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:20:17 pm »

I'd probably DFHack and add tiles of obsidian on the edge of the map.  Then water will stop flowing in, and magma will stop flowing out, so eventually it should all fill up with magma.  Then you can deal with THAT problem amazing vacation resort.