Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cross Rivers on Map  (Read 2531 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cross Rivers on Map
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:49:20 pm »

Simple suggestion. You see a river in front of in the overworld view... You should be able to just... cross it.

Either just automatically (and make it take time) or by doing an action.

The thing is that Rivers are WAAAAAY too much of an obstacle.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Rivers on Map
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

All you have to do is become a novice swimmer, then spend five minutes swimming in a pond. Just press d, swim across the river, sleep for an hour, then leaves. Easy.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:20:18 pm »

Stopping and swimming is still way longer than just crossing the river using fast travel mode. Keep in mind that you can't just pop out next to the river - you need to be some distance away both coming down and going back up into fast travel mode.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »

You should be able to cross rivers on the world map if they're frozen, or if you have Adequate or better Swimming skill. (Adequate is the point at which you don't panic at falling in, so it should be as unproblematic as land travel).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »

Stopping and swimming is still way longer than just crossing the river using fast travel mode. Keep in mind that you can't just pop out next to the river - you need to be some distance away both coming down and going back up into fast travel mode.

And you have a great chance to lose party members... because you have to wait for them all to sort of huddle around you from the river.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »

The companions wont jump in after you. It's fast and simple.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:08:53 am »

The companions wont jump in after you. It's fast and simple.
It's not fast It takes more then 10 times the time you'd normally take to travel the same distance.
Taste my Paci-Fist

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:12:17 am »

It's not fast It takes more then 10 times the time you'd normally take to travel the same distance.

I never use travel mode except to get companions over rivers and down from trees.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:01 pm »

So you want to spend all of adventure mode fast travelling and not doing anything? Kind of pointless, but I guess that's fun for you.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 04:29:22 pm »

So you want to spend all of adventure mode fast travelling and not doing anything? Kind of pointless, but I guess that's fun for you.
I don't want to spend all my time swimming across rivers when I could use that time instead to get to the next location that's actually interesting.
If you want to spend your time swimming, I guess you can still do that. *grumble* As if grinding (and swimming across rivers is grinding at best) ever was a valid part of actual gameplay...
Taste my Paci-Fist

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:41:18 pm »

You're complaining about a ten seconds at max activity. And that's if you're on a horrible computer and you're going across an ocean.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »

Dude, loading the local map sometimes takes 3 seconds on its own!
And if every step takes half a second (which isn't unusual at all on older or larger worlds) then it cannot be a 10-second activity ever, because the world squares are more than 20 steps across.

I don't see your problem with this proposal. Are you contrary only for the sake of it or is there an actual concern that the game would be worse if you could cross rivers on the world map?
It's fine if you don't have a problem with how it works now, but I don't see how this would make the suggestion less valid. If you don't have anything that actually speaks against this proposal then I'd suggest you shut up and let the people who actually care do the talking. It's not like you loose anything when it gets implemented.
Taste my Paci-Fist

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »

It just seems rather pointless. Bridges on major rivers would make sense, like in the towns. But it would only make sense if your companions were trained swimmers as well. The swimming across then sleeping doesn't make much sense either. With that already existing, there's really no reason to implement it, other than people want to be in fast travel 24/7.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »

Look, I only want to leave fast travel when I get to actually do something interesting. "Swimming across a river" doesn't count as "doing something interesting" - fighting against monsters is, talking to locals is, exploring caves and caverns is, climbing across ridges is, swimming across rivers is not. Is that really so hard to understand?
It might be pointless to you, it's just not for me and probably not for the OP. I don't get why you are posting in this thread in the first place - it's not like you are making alternate suggestions or telling any reasons why it is a bad idea.
Taste my Paci-Fist

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 05:28:30 pm »

Well I was stating the already implemented alternative, a reason why it wouldn't logically work, even though the alternative doesn't either, and another alternative. And you're still complaining.
Pages: [1] 2