Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have an option to automatically select trees to chop when running low on wood.  (Read 1040 times)

WertyMiniBot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There should be an option on orders to toggle whether, when there is little or no usable wood present, a woodcutter will chop down trees to produce more wood.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't ever used it myself, but there's an "autochop" command included with dfhack that supposedly does exactly this.  I've been meaning to give it a try, I'll test it out the next time I fire up my fort.

--nomad_delta

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also a setting to stop grinding rock nuts if they go below a certain number, auto-collect clay and sand, auto-brew and cook, etc

This has been suggested a few times, all relevant settings would make a fortress much more macromanageable

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This does seem useful for brewing and such.

For logs though, I'm not sure I see the point. Just chop every tree on the map (takes a novice not even very long) and then make a limited size stockpile. Tada! Your dwarves will go gather wood exactly as needed only.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.