Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cross Rivers on Map  (Read 2552 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Rivers on Map
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »

Uhm...
I was of the impression that fast travel was implemented so going long distances wasn't as tedious - now I have to cross rivers on a regular basis, switching between local map and travel map around 5 to 10 times when going from one location to another. Assuming a load time of 3 seconds for loading/unloading the local map this is 15 to 30 seconds for loading alone, not even counting the time it takes to walk to the river, swim across it and then walk away from the river, which takes even more time. I think this is rather tedious, especially if I just want to get to that damn necromancer tower to actually do stuff.

Your "alternatives", if I get that right:
All you have to do is become a novice swimmer, then spend five minutes swimming in a pond. Just press d, swim across the river, sleep for an hour, then leaves. Easy.
Doesn't even get the point of what this is about. I don't want to avoid having to swim across the river, I want to avoid having to load the local map for that.
This comment by Sutremaine actually addresses what this is about:
You should be able to cross rivers on the world map if they're frozen, or if you have Adequate or better Swimming skill. (Adequate is the point at which you don't panic at falling in, so it should be as unproblematic as land travel).
I agree with this proposal.

Bridges on major rivers would make sense, like in the towns
This is also besides the point. Of course going across bridges is nice. But again, having to switch to the local map only because I swim instead of walk seems a bit stupid, especially because there is nothing interesting about swimming at all.
But it would only make sense if your companions were trained swimmers as well
Maybe you should read across what you write before you post it. Unless you actually meant to imply that companions only are able to cross bridges if they can swim.
Restricting swimming across rivers on the travel map to when all of your companions can swim is fine with me.

The swimming across then sleeping doesn't make much sense either.
I don't even know what that means.

With that already existing, there's really no reason to implement it, other than people want to be in fast travel 24/7.
Because in Dwarf Fortress there's only two activities: Swimming in rivers and fast traveling. I guess I imagined all the other stuff I thought I did.
Taste my Paci-Fist

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 05:56:12 pm »

So you failed to actually read it in order then? The way you get across a river now without bridges in towns or going around is simply swimming across, then if you want your companions across, sleeping. This somehow magically brings them across. It takes an incredibly short amount of time. I'm not sure how you got 3=15. Try using smaller worlds, it makes map switches faster. When did I ever say you could only cross bridges if swimming? Never. You simply thought that up yourself. Bridges on rivers would act just like they do in towns, allowing you to fast travel over. You're the one who seems to only want to fast travel, I don't see why, but it seems to be what you mainly want to do. Read things in order, you might understand them. The map isn't one giant river, it's not tedious at all to spend a few seconds maybe a few times an hour going across. Towns are often on rivers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 10:57:42 pm »

It takes an incredibly short amount of time

Yeah... assuming you have to do it only once... and even then you probably could have got to where your going in the amount of time it takes to cross one river.

Even then is this suggestion really so bad? if crossing a river is really so easy... Why not make it possible to cross on the map?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »

I never said it shouldn't be implemented. You people are taking refinement and replacements as opposition.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »

the option to cross in fast-travel should be there for those who want it.

there could still be ways to make it slightly more immerse such as a certain swimming skill necessary to cross that could change based on the strength/speed of the river.

armor also could be taken into account with more armor and more things carried making it so you need a higher swim skill to cross in fast-travel.

the option to fast travel could also be not available if there are predator-type animals at that particular location like crocodiles

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »

So you want to spend all of adventure mode fast travelling and not doing anything? Kind of pointless, but I guess that's fun for you.
Have you ever tried to walk across a continent in Fast Travel to get to another civilization? You have to stop every thirty map tiles, load the local map, swim/walk across the river, and then load fast travel again, and nothing really happens. It is time consuming and boring.
It would be some much easier to just skip it if you can swim or the river is frozen.

Plus, there are things like quests and ambushes while you are walking. Who plays adventure mode simply walking everywhere anyways?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 11:31:32 pm »

Water presents a chance to force you into the local area.  Unlike an ambush which is routine, you have to deal with local critters, zombies, alligators, etc.

Its not easy to ford a river, and Id like to think it helps make the process of travel more visceral.

This of course, is not to say it cant be improved.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 06:33:42 pm »

You don't need to sleep in order to make your companions automagically cross the river. You can go into the local map, cross the river yourself, and then fast travel as soon as possible. Your companion should follow you, but check that this is the case by fast travelling one tile and then going into the local map. I think that if they do remain behind, they appear as an asterisk on the map. It's still a pain in the butt, and being able to Travel would be much better.

You can also teach companions to swim by tile-swapping (notice that when you try and walk into their tile, they move into the one you were just occupying), but that only helps if they see a carp or something and dive in to kill the menace. They still won't enter the water willingly.

It'd be neat if you could order a companion to go for a dip, and then you'd stay next to them to give them a hand out when they were tired of half-drowning. If you moved away from the edge of the water and they got themselves out before drowning, they'd be mad at you.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 09:37:00 pm »

You could actually cross rivers in fast travel in the 2010 version of the game. It made traveling from place to place much more streamlined.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:50 am »

You don't need to sleep in order to make your companions automagically cross the river. You can go into the local map, cross the river yourself, and then fast travel as soon as possible.

Which can make you lose companions.

You could actually cross rivers in fast travel in the 2010 version of the game. It made traveling from place to place much more streamlined.

It also had this slight consequence of making exploration fun. To where you really did want to explore the four corners of the earth and find some of the hidden areas tucked into corners or behind mountains.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:03:13 am by Neonivek »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:30 pm »

I think the most annoying thing for me in regards to rivers is the distance you need to walk away from it in order to be able to fast travel.

I don't mind the manual crossing of a river, as for me it's often a good occasion to drink and hunt preys to refill my carried food, but once you have done everything you wanted/battled anything that was in/close to the river and just want to leave, you have to walk for a boring and completely uneventful time until finally the "you must move away" message does not pop up and you finally can resume your fast travel toward something more interesting, and hope your stupid companions will not be left behind.

making that "must move away" distance much shorter would break less of the fun in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:45:21 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 [2]