Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let’s run this into the ground!

Yes.
Hell yes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Murderflood: OPERATION PIMPSTACK (Ardentdikes III)  (Read 36172 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: OPERATION PIMPSTACK (Ardentdikes III)
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 03:09:37 am »

We need to set up comprehensive fortifications, walls and dykes, in these early years before the real trouble starts.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 06:12:10 am »

Well, I was thinking building a few magma smelters down at the magma sea, and making corkscrews and pipes.

Are we planning a spiral pimp stack, or the standard switch back? If we're planning to replace it, we need to ensure a couple of magma drying spots are around, perhaps closed by floodgates so we can remove the magma so we don't melt dorfs.

Walls and dykes now work far less well considering foe mans can now climb. Unless you use the upside down L shaped walls.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 06:53:04 am »

Walls at least are a must while we still have time to build them. I recommend digging moats where we want to eventually put the dikes, and making them 2-levels of magma. This way we have a functioning barrier up faster but can still turn them into dikes with a little effort.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 07:54:10 am »

PTW  :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »

Note to self: Caravans arrive at the beginning of Autumn now, as they did before DF2010 (only played 23a as legacy, haven’t seriously tried 40d). Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: This just happened.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:11:24 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:01 pm »

Murderflood, where aquatic life gives birth to pre-cooked meals.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2014, 08:22:51 pm »

This is going in the quotes section when I get it up.

Edit: Quotes are up.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:34:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2014, 09:47:08 pm »

Managing the quotes of a succession game is an unenviable task. Much sympathy to ye.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2014, 02:16:57 am »

This is going in the quotes section when I get it up.

Edit: Quotes are up.

Where'd you put it? I can't find it in the OP.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2014, 09:20:09 pm »

'Fry' is actually a term for young fish.

Your reading is funnier, though. :D
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 05:41:46 am »

I still need to be put into the turn list before darkrider.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 07:27:15 pm »

I still need to be put into the turn list before darkrider.

Done.

The Original timeline hit the character limit, so it continues here.

This is the Journal of Captain Erzmagier, Chief Medical Dwarf. It relates to the first year of the dwarven fortress of Murderflood the Fiery Enchanted Hell-Dike of Terror.

1st Sandstone 100: End of Month Report

The last month, we got the dwarven caravan and sold off our prepared meals for a considerable amount of equipment and also more food. This has left our supplies in a much better condition than previously. Our first above-ground housing has also been completed.

Mining on The Great Pimpstack has reached the first branch point. We have uncovered considerable mineral and gemstone wealth.

3rd Sandstone

The Ewe has been sheared, and the miners have finished the first stage of The Great Pimpstack, with bp920091 going to sleep. I'm going to sleep too, after I designate the new mining works. For some reason though, nobody installed the bed in my room so I have to sleep in the dormitory. The struggle is real.

8th Sandstone

I'm assigning another floor for my bedroom. While I'd really like to have windows, I suppose that will have to wait.

I'm also designating another farmer's workshop for animal-related duties outdoors. Deus Asmoth spun some of the sheep hair into wool, but not enough, and we have milking to do.

I also put in an order for buckets, as we don’t have enough for the number of animals we have and the time it takes everyone to store the milk in barrels.

Gnott QT has also gone to sleep.

11th Sandstone

Apparently the merchants will be leaving soon. I'm also seeing some of the fish leaving the area, too.

12th Sandstone

I'm seeing flowers everywhere in the desert!

13th Sandstone

Huh? Migrants? Oh right! We're greatly in need of able-bodied dwarves around here!

Spoiler: New Arrivals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: bluescreen1988 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: darkrider2 (click to show/hide)

We have "bluescreen1988" Mosus Ostshorast, elder brother of Deus Asmoth (umarried) and second son of Zasit Idenzalìs, Baroness of Maroongild, and "darkrider2"  Shorast Focusdagger, a Herbalist. bluescreen1988 is an amateur fisherdwarf with military skills obtained from tavern brawling, while darkrider2 is just an Adequate Herbalist and has no other skills of note.

14th Sandstone

I assigned both bluescreen1988 and darkrider2 to masonry. darkrider2 will also be doing our animal training work, starting with the porcupine.

15th Sandstone

The caravan departed today, and darkrider2 has succeeded in getting the porcupine to a semi-wild state. Also, Triaxx2 has gone to sleep and the mining works I designate have again been completed.

18th Sandstone

Today, the kids went to sleep again.

23rd Sandstone

Everything has been moved upstairs now. I also need a hatch cover over the staircase, hopefully one which can be locked in case of goblin attack. Also, Triaxx2 is On Break.

28th Sandstone

You know what? I'm going to take a break in my nice new bedroom.

End of Month Report, 1st Timber

All you need to know: Miners did more work, we sheared a sheep, bluescreen1988, one of Deus Asmoth’s elder brothers showed up along with darkrider2 giving us a population of 14 dwarves, the merchants left, and I have a nice bedroom all to myself. We also have some more wealth and a bit less booze, but I have a nice bedroom all to myself; a nice bedroom which will have an office downstairs, which I expect to be peaceful until the place next door gets built. Ugh.

7th Timber

Furnishing of my office has finished. Love the door and throne, but the table is a piece of schist.

15th Timber

Work continues on the secret project next door.

16th Timber

Well duh, thanks to darkrider2's inexperience, the Porcupine is now in a wild state. Fortunately it wasn't taken out of the cage. Also both Gnott QT and Taupe are on break AGAIN and that means none of the masonry work is being done.

23rd Timber

Taupe began her apprenticeship to Gnott QT, turning Gabbro into Dwarven Standard MS blocks for Operation Pimpstack. Well, mostly she's learning on her own since Gnott QT is still on break.

End of Autumn Report, 1st Moonstone, 100

This is where we're at, beginning of winter. We have mostly completed excavations for Operation Pimpstack, and I have assigned a magma glass furnace in the depths to provide us with some of the necessary equipment. Experience leading Murderflood now means most day-to-day operations are now very smooth.

This season, we traded with the dwarves caravan, and appear to have ensured the security of our resources in the near future.

The first above-ground housing has been finished, naturally being for my occupancy. It was my birthday just two days ago, so I made sure to treat myself.

I have also begun a secret project which should hopefully be finished this season. At the end of the season, I will step down as leader of the fortress and pass that mantle on to Ghills.

9th Moonstone

Finally got some sand collected. Now we can make some glass tubes and corkscrews. Meanwhile, Urist McKiwi has gone on break.

10th Moonstone

bluescreen1988 is a "military dwarf" but I have him get to work making at least one glass tube and one glass corkscrew. We'll need them for the project.

This is our temporary OBJECTIVE Glass Furnace, in an undisclosed location which is currently the base of THE GREAT PIMPSTACK. I’ve included the orders list for reference.

Meanwhile, bp920091 has finished authorised mining works again. I could expand the project to it's full size but I have another mining task before the end of the year. A butt-load of mining tasks.

Later that day

More gypsum for the stores! Ultimately this will prove useful elsewhere. I hope nobody does anything stupid with it in the meantime.

Meanwhile, 'Ghills' is using our excess bags to process our quarry bushes, so we’ll have more for the kitchens to work with.

12th Moonstone

Gnott QT took a drinking break today.

In other news, Triaxx2 is back in action and working on the special mining project, which is proceeding just according to the Book of Keikaku™.

Bluescreen1988 is now feeling the heat in the temporary glass furnace above the OBJECTIVE, ensuring the future of our fortress.

13th Moonstone

Triaxx2 has become a Legendary Miner, and her dream of mastering a skill has been realised.

14th Moonstone

bluescreen1988 just finished a green glass tube today. It is well-crafted, not bad for a first attempt!

15th Moonstone

Urist McDuck took extended lunch break today, and Ghills runs out of bags to process plants into.

16th Moonstone

The miners have gone drinking again. Meanwhile on the surface, we have only one barrel, and so I have Urist McKiwi make some more. A barrel shortage does not bode well for a fortress.

18th Moonstone

You had one job.

Well, at least we learned something interesting in the process though.

In other news, the Fifth Princess has gone to sleep. Oh, and her fishing skills are going a bit rusty. I probably shouldn't be recording all of this but I'd like to preserve the fact for the future. Like, this is how we lived before all the houses were built.

20th Moonstone

Yes, miners, I appreciate you've finished the next phase of Top Secret Super Undisclosed Project Serial Number 31V355UCK. You do know it takes time for me to fix the plans up further, and this is a big project, right? Right?

22nd Moonstone

Mining works hit Bauxite. We now have no shortage of blood-coloured magma-safe stone.

23rd Moonstone

I ordered the Aardvark trained today, so darkrider2 should be getting more of the training he needs. Oh who am I kidding, we’ll probably end up with another semi-wild aardvark liable to revert to a wild state until darkrider2 gets more experience.

24th Moonstone

Today, the first corkscrew was finished! Again, bluescreen1988 has crafted it well.

In other news, I put up some labels and signs on locations, because we really need to know where shit is, right? I also wanted to leave some messages for future generations and explorers. Also Gnott QT took extended lunch break.

28th Moonstone, 100: End of Month Report by Captain Erzmagier

Our fortress continues to grow, with the completion of excavations on The Great Pimpstack and ongoing excavations on [REDACTED]. This month, Triaxx2 reached Legendary status in mining and thus fulfilled her dream of mastering a skill. bp920091 is not very far behind, having reached Grand Master status.

Aboveground construction is continuing at a semi-acceptable rate. At the moment though, some of the downward access points have been taken out and people are waiting underground for their replacement, not that it particularly matters. I have instructed darkrider in the type of access point I most desire, and he seems to approve of it.

Drink count is coming down, so I think we should brew some more drinks. Otherwise, we don't have much farming work left underground as we have no more seeds, though we could use a few above-ground farms.

A few of the trees are bare now, though the sun is still burning down and the grass is dry.

1st Opal

Slight disaster today with people stuck underground waiting for the new access point to be finished, mostly on the hauling side. Aboveground construction, and as far as I know mining, have not been affected.

2nd Opal

We have re-established our access point! Congratulations to darkrider2 on making a most fine feature of our fortress. Present location of this access point is on a need-to-know basis and therefor will not be mentioned here.

4th Opal

Mining works have again completed their quota. I have designated the final extensions from now, before Triaxx2 and bp920091 move onto another undisclosed project.

10th Opal

Urist McDuck is trying to get some sleep while walls are being moved around. Once these two floors are built, work should significantly ramp up.

bp920091 has now reached Legendary Miner status! The miners are now taking an extended drinking break to celebrate.

12th Opal

Oh look, the porcupine has reverted to a wild state. Again. I'm just going to finish this wall, then go drink, and go and sleep.

No, I'm not going to let the reports of a flying head with bad wings or the giant cave spider in the upper caverns bother that.

14th Opal

I now have confirmation that project OUTDOOR TOILET is completed. It is just that, a outdoor toilet with a schist floor. Because of the lack of water though, it is out of order for the time being.

17th Opal

The first floor of the second iteration of the Fifth Princess' house has nearly been completed. Originally, that was going to be right next door to me but that area was re-allocated to another secret project. We should probably start moving the beds over somewhere else, where they will be needed.

Oh, and I have a nice plan for housing everyone else too, which should not take as long to complete either.

Oh no! Depicted is a mining operation which has located an apparent aquifer, fortunately without causing flooding. The image has been redacted as necessary to maintain the project's undisclosed nature. This will completely break symmetry, which is now an absolute nightmare.

I have decided to assign the miners to another undisclosed project in the meantime. Back to the mining plans.

Later that day

We're going to be working on another undisclosed project. It is not possible at this time to disclose the nature of how this will associate or not to the other undisclosed project.

Also, why am I working in the mason's shop? That's Gnott QT's job, I should be making mechanisms or building the walls.

21st Opal

Today, Gnott QT went to sleep. Because of the large amount of granite and phyllite blocks in the mason’s shop though, it will not be delaying any constructions.

23rd Opal

Darkrider2 went to sleep on the construction site. It looks like we don't have many beds set up anymore, a serious oversight which should really be fixed.

In other news, 'Ghills" has become a farmer, since she has done somewhat more brewing than clothesmaking.

Of course, the kids are all asleep in various locations, mostly around the wagon though Thob Wheelclean is in the temporary dormitory. They seem to have picked up some growing skills over the last few months. I'm going to hurry some projects so they won't have to anymore.

bp920091 goes on break, leaving the mining works hanging.

25th Opal

Looks like bluescreen1988 is on break too. Damn. I was hoping to get those windows made sooner than later. Oh yeah, windows? We need those up here, so we can get our doses of sunlight without having the wind blowing through our rooms. It isn't like I want a fucking window next to a stone wall, right? At least it will give me something to bump into while drunk instead of falling to a painful landing.

26th Opal

Mining works on the second undisclosed project have uncovered galena!

28th Opal

No really. You had one job.

28th Opal 100, End of Month Report by Captain Erzmagier

The month has been very productive, with one of our new projects going ahead. There is only one month left in the year, and I will be stepping down soon afterwards.

Our alcohol situation has improved somewhat since we re-started the stills, and I see the spinning jobs are also getting done. We already have dye for thread but no skilled dyers, and I'm wondering whether to wait until the new migrant wave to start those jobs or whether to have Urist McDuck dye cloth as well as weaving cloth.

We have hit 25100 wealth, which I believe means we might be targeted by kobolds or maybe even goblin thieves. It should therefor be top priority to finish housing and set up some kind of defence system. A step towards achieving a proper defensive situation is already underway. The Sunken Axis Pact cannot hope to achieve world dominion without any means of fucking timekeeping. I am therefor ordering the construction of THE CLOCK TOWER.

The first undisclosed building project has kind of halted thanks to the works being carried out on the Fifth Princess' housing and the new second undisclosed project, I'd really like to finish it by the end of my term though, since it is important.

Urist McDuck doesn’t have anything to do because it is “winter” and apparently, despite the Sun burning down as always, this means we can’t grow more crops underground besides plump helmets and dimple cups, and we have no more seeds for either. I tell her to go work on some buildings instead.

[REDACTED] has been completed to an acceptable level despite running into an aquifer. The current undisclosed mining project is already under way and will almost certainly be finished before the end of the season.

Because elven traders are showing up in a bit, I'm going to have another roast made for the trading.

We also have birthdays coming up. darkrider2's 14th is on the 6th, Urist McKiwi's 62nd on the 20th, and Deus Asmoth's 22nd on the 26th.

1st Obsidian

Here we go! Urist McDuck is getting drunk on dwarves wine, I find a strange "Hatch Cover" order in the mason's shop I think I messed up, I put off making more mechanisms in hopes to finish off the buildings quicker, and work on the defense-boosting feature I outlined earlier has begun.

I'm having Urist McKiwi make us some much-needed items, with the most critical one first. I also told Urist McDuck to start masonry works, since she had nothing else to do and those are important.

2nd Obsidian

Full moon tonight! Meanwhile, Taupe's bedroom is getting furnishings.

3rd Obsidian

bp920091 came off break just as Triaxx2 takes a drinking break. After current designations are completed there will be a short hiatus on mining while some important engraving jobs are carried out.

4th Obsidian

Again, some microcline got into the masonry production chain but I stopped it before blocks were made. This is a good thing, since a large number of microcline items have been made already, and building works call for a different colour of stone. In addition, the masonry-related jobs in the critical part of the undisclosed project have been filled up, and people are getting back to work on Taupe's quarters. Meanwhile, Triaxx2 is going to sleep.

5th Obsidian

Masonry works on the current designations of the undisclosed project are done, but I've added in some more and drafted Urist McKiwi into the construction. With the permitted mining works completed on the second undisclosed mining project the miners are getting to the important engraving jobs. Also Ghills made another important component for this construction effort and is now a clothier once again, and a Talented one at that.

Tomorrow is darkrider2's birthday. I need to think of a present for him.

6th Obsidian

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sir DARKRIDER2, Knight of Beasts!

Taupe and I found darkerder2 hauling stone up from The Great Pimpstack and gave the decree. I get you're supposed to be 21 years old before becoming a knight but darkrider2 put in such a heroic effort we decided to do it anyway. I also believe "Knight of Beasts" is a far better title than "Dungeon Master" in this situation. This was also convenient because bestowing a title was still a better option than housing him in the operating theatre. Fuck that shit.

7th Obsidian

All required engraving work has now been finished. The next phase shall now proceed.

Meanwhile, bluescreen1988 is no longer on break, and is hauling wood. I don't need you to haul wood! I need you to make some windows!

8th Obsidian

Today, Ghills made a wonderful dwarves syrup roast! It has a high value indeed.

These are the ingredients.

Gnott QT is starting on some more furniture, since we have a lot of granite blocks.

I'm also going to make some more mechanisms.

9th Obsidian

Some screw-up in the supply chain meant no mechanisms were constructed. Some new building works have been designated, however, which is good.

Also, I realise I fucked up darkrider2's birthday and gave him the title early. So we held the full ceremony around the wagon.

10th Obsidian

Taupe finally has her bedroom finished!

11th Obsidian

Furnishings are starting to go in Taupe's office now. There's some metalsmithing jobs before it is done completely, though.

Mining works again struck pink tourmaline, as claimed by Triaxx2 and bp920091, though these seem a bit reddish to me. Maybe it's the sunlight affecting our eyes? This could be interesting.

12th Obsidian

I put in a special kind of order today. Don’t worry, nothing bad happened. Nothing to see here, this is just in case. Just in case.

(Scribbled in) That's much better. Much better to have some statues in there too. I think this will be perfect.

Taupe has also gone to sleep.

Since bluescreen1988 finished one of them, I'm installing windows in my bedroom. Now I'm not going to fall out of the building while drunk.

13th Obsidian

Today, I designated some changes to the construction of Taupe's bedroom, along with more masonry works.

14th Obsidian

We're now starting on another floor of construction. Keep up the good work! In other news, after another screw-up in the mason's shop Gnott QT will be doing some architectural work on the mysterious construction project.

15th Obsidian

Today I've been hauling mechanisms to an important gear assembly, and I also ordered some doors installed. Another floor on the first undisclosed construction project, the building next door to mine, is approaching completion.

16th Obsidian

Today, bluescreen1988 finished a superior quality green glass window! This is definitely going in my bedroom, again.

I also found our supply of granite blocks is running low again. This really isn't going to help with our building project.

17th Obsidian

Once again mining works hit Pink Tourmaline. We could probably do with some secure storage for all these gems, right?

Flooring in the building next door is now complete. We have another level to go but firstly I want the other rooms completed.

I also completed the gear assembly, there's just one more axel to go before I have to build and connect up levers.

18th Obsidian

Despite the granite block shortage, we're ready to install beds in at least one bedroom!

19th Obsidian

I'm getting to work on a little personal project of my own. Obviously, I'm not going to say more than that here.

20th Obsidian

HAPPY BIRTHDAY URIST MCKIWI VI!

Today was Urist McKiwi's birthday! I gave him a special part in the new second undisclosed project! He must be pleased.

It looks like I don't have the items I need to complete that special personal project. Oh well, I'm going to make some more mechanisms.

21st Obsidian

In these last few days of the year, with the second undisclosed mining project about completed, I've decided to speed up non-masonry work by having Triaxx2 and bp920091 haul furniture around.

22nd Obsidian

Urist McKiwi has gone off to build his fun project, which Gnott QT spent many of the last few days designing.

Meanwhile, Shem and Asob now have some rooms!

23rd Obsidian

Having finished his fun project, Urist McKiwi is off to haul more stone. Meanwhile, Sir darkrider2 and Urist McDuck are both on break.

24th Obsidian

Good news! The granite block shortage is now over! We can finally finish those bedrooms.

I also designated another window, well-crafted this time, to be installed in Taupe's Bedroom so the cactus can grow. I've heard plants need light, so I decided it was a good idea.

25th Obsidian

Since Sir darkrider2 is now on break, which means the metalsmithing job isn't going to be done until the end of the year, I guess. When it is done, I'll need to put a throne down and designate Taupe's office.

Oh for f*cks sake.

26th Obsidian

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEUS ASMOTH, LORD OF CACTUSSON!

Taupe suggested "Lord Cactusson" as a title when I'd mentioned the saguaro that would grow up through her bedroom. I took the opportunity to bestow it upon Deus Asmoth for his birthday.

I also did some important labelling. I'll give an overview of some important designs at the end of the year or when I step down.

27th Obsidian

With the year drawing to a close, the windows are now being installed. Still many to go but the important ones have been done now.

Urist McDuck has gone to sleep again, and Taupe's going for a drink.

You know what? I'm going to go drinking as well. I’ve earned this.

Oh, and the last of the kid's bedrooms has been completed. That's good news, now we just have to assign some defences so they don't get kidnapped or anything.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:36:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2014, 09:12:27 pm »

Love the door and throne, but the table is a piece of schist.

I hope this one makes the quotes list.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:10 pm »

Can I get a Dorf please

Thanatos

Military: sword or axe would be best

Prefers to dress in dark clothing and hates sunlight more then your average dwarf. He got drunk one day and woke up in a desert of all places oh god the light!!!!!! He is very serious and does not understand sarcasm. He is usually very calm except in battle for he goes into blind rage making him forget what happens but making him a effective fighter.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:55 pm »

Can I get a Dorf please

Thanatos

Military: sword or axe would be best

Prefers to dress in dark clothing and hates sunlight more then your average dwarf. He got drunk one day and woke up in a desert of all places oh god the light!!!!!! He is very serious and does not understand sarcasm. He is usually very calm except in battle for he goes into blind rage making him forget what happens but making him a effective fighter.

Unless I get a large wave of migrants this is going to be for the next one, Ghills, to deal with. But if it happens, I’ll be sure to roleplay it. Technically, this “turn” would be more likely to end with the spring migration wave for RP reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14