Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let’s run this into the ground!

Yes.
Hell yes.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Murderflood: OPERATION PIMPSTACK (Ardentdikes III)  (Read 35723 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: OPERATION PIMPSTACK (Ardentdikes III)
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »

Right, save works, and I'm playing. Not sure what the problem was for you but it seems to be working fine for me. Not sure if it's going to crash, but I'll find out.

Any particular reason we're training Aardvarks? Besides being a fun work to say that is. Also, we seem to be doing an awful lot of work underground for being an above ground fortress.

---

We have a vast number of new migrants. More meat for grinder! Um... oh, right no military technically. Well, more labor for the construction of... whatever the name of this place is. One of them is an adequate organizer so he's given the managerial hat of managing. He instantly demands an office. No problem. GnottQT is also made Bookkeeper and HE wants an office. Fine. One of the new migrants gets his orders, be a carpenter, and make two tables and two Chairs. I also start off the construction of a lovely microcline gate to the east, set into a mildly non-existent wall. I see that my predecessor laid some of it out, but they were thinking too small. I will encompass the river to the south, and so I order a fine floor to stretch at least temporarily across to the river, so that we have something to stand on while building the wall.

I setup a group of four mason's workshops, which are set with a stone stockpile. This will be the block making set up, and should give a central area to produce blocks from stone. I also setup some wheelbarrows to bring up stone to the stockpile so we don't spend forever at the job.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:35 pm »

Oh hey, progress.

I must not be in the thread I think I'm in.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2014, 07:27:21 pm »

Apparently not.

---

The wall is expanded with another section of Granite, and I order a bridge/atom smasher built below the southern bridge across the falls. Constructed of Microcline like it's Eastern Brother, this will secure the south side of the falls. Of course until the walls are completed, it won't secure anything but that's the hazard of construction.

I'm moderately curious about why there's a water wheel powering nothing, but no one seems able to answer. Mean time, I've been reliably informed Ghills has claimed a Clothier's workshop. And by claimed I mean he threw the dwarf using it bodily out. Princess 'Taupe' has given birth to a baby girl. Ghills mean time has grabbed some Pig Tail Fiber Cloth and Rough Bone Opals. Not sure what he's up to, but I hope it's cool.

And we have Mat Luk, The Bend of Insights, a split pig tail fiber skirt, as our first artifact. At 18640 dorfbucks, it should attract some attention. And with that in mind, I turn my attention to the walls. It's not going as quickly as I'd like mostly out of need to use blocks. And on that note, I've designated both marble and dolomite as restricted to flux making only. We'll need steel and can't be using our precious flux to make blocks.

---

How did we want to connect the eastern keep? My preference is a skybridge, two or three floors above the ground, with fortifications on either side of it to protect it from the ground.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2014, 07:36:46 pm »

Just HOW many kids do I have at this point :/

...I mean ''Hurray, she is my life and joy!''

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »

That's number five.

---

Construction continues apace, with the southern wall nearing completion. We're now held up by suitably colored blocks. Perhaps it is vain, but I have no intention of meeting the enemy before Orthoclase walls. We want them to be paralyzed by fear, not paroxysms of laughter. But we've got all four mason's workshops up and running in block production, so that shouldn't be a problem much longer.

Meanwhile, ramp removal is taking place on the north slope, save for a section to be defended by a bridge. Meanwhile the east bridge is being linked up by a lever, and I've started work on the orthoclase lever houses. While the enemy shouldn't see those blocks, they should be useful in keeping lever pullers from getting attacked until a proper central control room can be constructed.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »

I shall be lurking...  ;)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2014, 11:45:41 pm »

As I have been due to a series of unfortunate events. Well up yours Lemony Snicket, dorfs thrive on unfortunate events.

Usually.

---

So, with a little bit of work into the blocks, has left us with finally enough to complete the southern wall. As such, I've started up the work on the second layer, by having several ramps constructed. The side of each of our glorious microcline gates will have a pillar supporting the outer battlements. These battlements should prevent any of our enemies from climbing up and over our defensive walls. Of course, that all could be useless if I don't also do it over the gates, but we'll get to that eventually. I've also started on the north wall, but going will be slow since the geography is strange.

More is the pity that we cannot fill dirt into such holes, but stone will suffice to cover them. I query my bretheren as to whether we should line the walls of our great falls with the wall, but none have an answer. I shall leave such things for future overseers to answer. There are the beginnings of a great keep to the west, but I am no architect of such buildings. I build walls and walls is all that I builds.

I have ordered a cessation of the quarrying of stones from deep beneath the earth, to the grumbling of the miners, but their arguments ceased when I told them the simple truth that we must prepare for those above, before we confront those below. They were unmoved, but they obeyed. I also started a wall along the west side of the eastern cliff from the bridge up to the current keep. I trust others will expand it further.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2014, 09:28:48 pm »

*Bump*
Is this thing still running?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2014, 10:21:01 pm »

*Bump*
Is this thing still running?

It seems to be dead. RIP in pepperonis.
I'm just gonna wait until the next Steelhold fort starts, y'all are welcome to join in if you want. We can always use fresh blood.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2014, 10:35:00 pm »

It sounds like a fun fort, except I don't think I'd be able to read the 10 thousand pages of RP it involves within my lifespan...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2014, 12:42:14 am »

It sounds like a fun fort, except I don't think I'd be able to read the 10 thousand pages of RP it involves within my lifespan...

Yep it's a struggle. Wasn't as bad in the first, but the second got really, really bad.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:17 am »

New Steelhold will probably have an unrelated plot in any case. Just act like a sociopath, you'll fit right in.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2014, 01:19:54 pm »

Well, in that case it migh be cool to jump in...

Just act like a sociopath, you'll fit right in.

I'm really more of a misguided lunatic, really.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2014, 06:18:10 am »

Not dead, just internet troubles. Apparently lightning is not good for satellite dishes.

---

Wall construction continues apace. A human caravan has arrived. Depressingly, we've nothing available to use to trade really. So I've assigned the cut gems sitting in the stockpile to be traded.

Well, we got a couple of picks and an anvil, so there's that. I think we'll have to set up some production of trade goods. I've also ordered the production of some beds, since I've noticed we're sleeping on the ground. I've had a wood floor placed over an outside section of the fortress as a temporary dormitory area. Irritatingly, we seem to have misplaced the bridge to the east. The lever doesn't seem to operate it into it's extended state, and it was improperly placed as a retracting bridge. It can no longer be deconstructed either. I've had to build out beyond that. Hopefully some one manages to fix it.

In any case, we're politely waiting for the humans to leave before we test the north gate. Ah, migrants. Mean while I've thinned out the pasture a little, thinning out the grouping. Plus it gets the stupid porcupine out of the pathway of the lever wall. I've also opened up mining operations again. And it seems we've been drinking water. I can't tell if the job to make booze was canceled or simply never set, but it's been ordered going again.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:55:55 am by Triaxx2 »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »

So now it's the middle of summer and we're finally getting beds in place. It's only a dormitory, and is only called that because it's under a roof, but for now we shouldn't have to sleep on the ground, and that should improve morale around here. We could really use a therapist. I've also started laying out walls around the eastern keep, but I'm not sure of the plans for it, so it's just a general cut off and a place to put a bridge until we're ready.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14