Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let’s run this into the ground!

Yes.
Hell yes.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Murderflood: OPERATION PIMPSTACK (Ardentdikes III)  (Read 35725 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: OPERATION PIMPSTACK (Ardentdikes III)
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »

You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2014, 12:11:05 am »

Can I sig this?
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2014, 12:12:02 am »

Can't stop you, won't stop you :p

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2014, 10:51:45 am »

The really awkward thing is that there's no possible way for there to be magma there. There's none above. There's some below, but I didn't channel, I just dug. There's even a floor there. Upside, the copper pick I was using survived, and so did the raw adamantine. *sigh*

---

And now the copper pick has melted. Brilliant. Which means we're down to three. I finally figured out A) why bp2 something or other died, and why B) no one was able to find his body. And C) why we have no plant growth. Someone, dug into the earth, then dug a downward staircase. And this left no ability to return to the surface. I've ordered the down stairs removed, and then we'll replace them with constructed ones. BP so and so will be buried with honors.

Stairs replaced, access tunnel removed. Sigh. Well, now we're digging again, with a slightly larger crew than before. Or no, actually the same size crew because we're still missing a pick. No idea why we only get two miners at a time. We did finally get a well built, and now that we can make crops again, it should solve the lack of booze we've been having.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2014, 10:53:28 pm »

We're slowly building the walls to enclose the magma tunnel. Soon I'll be able to seal the area, and open the magma channel to flood it, then we can build our magma forging area. Just gotta clean up the rest of the raw adamantine lying on the floor.

I've also had some sections of the wall smoothed, just because the differences between that and the block areas to seal it were bothering me. I know that it will be submerged in magma and never seen again, but it just bugs me.

Ah, here we are. Gnott QT has just been elected mayor. I welcome him to the office, and he runs away screaming. This is moderately perturbing. And I see why. The Crafts Dorf shop was set to take from the stone stockpile. Thus I couldn't be engraved and put to rest. Well, I fixed that. Should be slabbed right and proper pretty soon.

Well, it's engraved, just have to make sure it gets stockpiled then put up. And we're almost done digging up the under layer of the magma forges. Gnott's a pretty good mason, considering he just made himself a Masterwork Phyllite Weapon Rack. I've also ordered a 'roof' put on Gnott's Future Home, so we can set it up as his bedroom/office/dining room. Mostly so he'll shut up about them.

We've also struck Cobaltite. I'm not sure what it is, but it's pretty at least. The magma floor has been dug, and someone is on their way to construct the sealing wall to hold the magma in. Then we'll be ready to flood the level. It's been a long year, but we'll have smelting and my successor can begin work on the upper levels in earnest. Or Vern if he or she knows what I mean.

The wall is complete. The flooding may begin as soon as we like. Given my lack of confidence in the inability of dorfs to do even the simplest thing right, I will personally NOT be flooding the floor mostly because I'm dead, but also because It'll be the new guys job.

I will finish the upper floor and lay in the first four magma powered smelters and forges however. I also provided for Kilns, though I'm not sure how useful they'll be. If nothing else, they can be replaced with more smelters.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2015, 06:10:43 pm »

Winter finds us still digging the upper layer. I've had to send out the military to deal with some bothersome Kangaroo Does. The hunters have been after them, but they've not had much luck. The big beasties are a might more difficult to bring down than one might expect.

We really need to finish those forges so we can put our hands on some weapons. We had to choke one Kangaroo to death, and kill the other with a crossbow. Which sadly does not mean we shot it. No, we had to bash it's head in with the bow itself. Armok help us if we get attacked by anything threatening, like a mortally wounded elf.

Oh good. Now we have a forgotten beast. En Aru Oson, a huge skinless ceratopsid. It has a pair of squat antennae and it squirms and fidgets. Beware it's Poisonous Vapors. How delightful.

In more cheerful news, I've set up a leather works, and ordered some equipment to finish out fitting the rest of the military. Shields, quivers, waterskins and backpacks. That should let them run far, far away from danger.

The first forge and smelter are under construction now. The second master has started digging the tunnel to the breach point which will flood the lower level with magma, and we can finally begin building weapons. Ooh, our leatherworker has been possessed. And he then seized the leatherworks. How terribly surprising...

And now we're waiting for enough magma to flow in to the tunnels to keep the smelter powered. It's more than a little annoying actually since it keeps kicking on and off.

---

Now slightly out of date Fortress Overview:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:16:24 pm by Triaxx2 »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2015, 03:02:29 pm »

Digging continues, and the magma seems to have stabilized so I've ordered some smelting to commence.

Meanwhile, the artifact has been completed. Buryfungus the Evisceration of Sickness, a giant jaguar leather quiver. Rovod Estun has given birth to a boy, congratu... get back to mining you lazy bum!

Okay now we've... got a were Tortoise? Seriously? Sigh. Okay, Idur Gelusoma. Right, let's see if we can beat this one to death as well. Well, he's taken out an un-named fisherdorf and carpenter, as well as 'bluescreen1988' and 'captain erzmagier'. That said, they managed to injure it. If we can get there in time, we might be able to kill it. I don't hold too much hope though. And now he's punching our mason to death. Delightful. There goes the mason. And a dwarven child.

Now he's reverted and started running. Fortunately we catch up just before he manages to reach the edge of the map and escape. Hah, broke the buggers hip. That'll keep him still. And there, we choked the life out of him. Teach him a lesson won't it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:27:48 pm by Triaxx2 »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2015, 11:33:11 pm »

We're still waiting on forging, and the completion of the mining out of the forge room. Um... so it seems a Magma Crab has just given birth to twins... Yay?

We've managed to run out of drinks again. I can't figure out why either. I have a sneaking suspicion we're lacking for barrels or pots, but I can't confirm that. And because of it, everyone is just sort of skulking around, and not putting in any effort. I'd lend a hand, but it just passes through things. I spent a few minutes yelling at the brewer to make booze, but he didn't seem to hear me.

Fortunately, the peasant Ezum decided it seemed like a good idea, since he had nothing else to do, and so he's gathering plump helmets for the job.

That's it! The next dorf to complain about warm stone is going get such a haunting! Ghills, that's you. You said it, now you're doomed. DOOM! Doom on you! Doom on your house! Doom on your cow!

Well, our peasant is now a brewer. Huzzah. And he seems to be a whole heck of a lot better at it than Dumbestdorf. We seem to be out of logs, so the mayor picks up an ax, and nearly decapitates himself. How he managed it with a wooden axe, I haven't the slightest idea. Doesn't take him long to bring down a tree though.

I order a second smelter constructed, and it's laid in very quickly. Just have to build it and boom, double the ore. Of course with the magma all the way down here, it takes forever to get down here, but... soon we'll have enough booze to not worry about that. I hope.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2015, 06:17:05 pm »

For the remainder of the year, nothing at all exciting happens. There's some iron smelted, but now we're just waiting for a weapon smith to be free.

It hasn't been a bad year, just an obscenely long one. I am happy to say my term as over seer is finally, blissfully over.

Save is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10470
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:36:17 pm by Triaxx2 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2015, 09:48:25 pm »

I'm apparently next, but I don't have a computer which can efficiently run the game for the upcoming week. . I'll have to let someone else take it, unless we spend the whole week doing nothing while my computer is being built...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:23:31 pm by Taupe »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2015, 06:17:24 am »

Considering how long I took, I don't think one measly little week is going to make much difference.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2015, 12:07:44 am »

Computer is assembled and minimally functional now. Everything should be installed and up to date. However, I can't guarantee that my immediate desire is to jump right into a succession game. Not after a month and a half without gaming much, and definitely not with a giant backlog of stuff I couldn't even run before.

Long story short, skip me if you have someone ready to take the turn now. I'll get to it, and probably take a week and a half for a full turn, but I don't think it will be *right now*.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2015, 06:27:04 pm »

Sooo, this place is apparently dead. Since nobody actually manifested to comment or take over, I'll be downloading this thing now. Anything I should know about utilities? I assume we'll be running ascII, because not understanding shit is basically the best thing. Can I change that? I like to just grab the latest bundle, with dfhack, dwarf therapist, sound sense and possibly some graphic mod. Obviously I'll be updating to something more recent than, say, 40-14, because this is so not october anymore.

If nobody answers this within two days I'll assume I can just do whatever I want.

A letter has arrived today, bearing the royal seal. It is signed by my beloved mother, Deler Towerquested. Her delicate handwriting can hardly conceal her disappointment, for she has received little to no updates on the progress of this colony. It is true that Triaxx has been in charge for over a year, yet it felt like a decade. Even I, a resident of Murderflood, have a hard time understanding what's going on.

Mere commoners should not be in charge of such important missions. My husband, Deus Asmoth, is too busy studying succession lines and sharpening knives to truly take over our settlement. As the fifth princess of the Decisive net, it falls upon me to stir things right, and assume position of Overseer.

There will be changes. No more will people disrespect Lord Cacti, or plan war strategies revolving around a chokepoint in my bedroom. The towers will rise, and the lava will flow. Murderflood will become a proud jewel of dwarven architecture. I shall not rest until magma dykes surround this very desert, and shining stone towers can be seen from miles away.

But before i can do any of this, it's time to step outside and figure out what the hell is going on with this place.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:38:27 pm by Taupe »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2015, 06:48:34 pm »

Go nuts with the utilities, obv no outright cheating. Look forward to seeing how your turn oans out!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:39 pm »

No wonder this place is a mess, Triaxx2 has been missing! In his lifetime, he was so sporadic about providing updates on the fort's status, that he apparently disappeared without anyone noticing. I ask a bunch of workers about what they've been doing, and they simply answer that they were ''following instructions'', before pointing to a shack. Said shack seems to contain tons and tons of blueprints, each with random rooms designated in the middle of nowhere. Strange tunnels underground connected to nothing, a road indication going through many stockpiles, various rooms and tunnels planned in the bowels of earth...

This was apparently Triaxx2's office, which may explain why he was so eager to vanish. He would have had a decent office, has he focused on infrastructure a bit more. Ah, commoners! They lack the aspirations of nobility, upon which feed the greatest achievements. Our local broker, as well as mayor, Gnott QT, comes to me and complains about his meager office. Something should be done about this promptly. Mayors are almost real nobles, after all. giving him an office would demonstrate my willingness to appeal to the lowborn, and endear me with the local residents. I don't care whatever else those plans say, we are getting our administrators housed, and we are doing it now.

I draw a pencil from my architect case, and trace the designs for a marvelous housing tower. Marble. Who doesn't like marble? Dumb dwarves and poor people that's who.

OOC notes: I can get the save to update to 40.24, and I can run it with a vanilla, but it crashes while loading if I try to use the starter pack. I can use the Starter pack install to create a new world, and it runs Doomforests just fine, but it refuses to use this specific save. If anyone can confirm if/why this is happening, that would be super nice. I sort of hate playing without the ability to mouse at things, or search for things, or understand those things once I locate them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before I can even put my mind to designing a decent building for nobles, I am met with a more urgent problem still: my own room is a mess! The walls are made of three different materials, which is just plain unaesthetic! Also, the first floor is made of sand, because it's made of nothing, because it was never built. Clearly, any further improvements to the rest of the fort will have to wait, until this offence to my artistic harmony has been addressed.

Some peasants complain that the graphic I made is hard on the eyes, with all the red scribblings. Hard on the eyes? Why don,t you try spending an afternoon in my living room, will ya?

Oh, also, we are running out of booze. This should probably be adressed somewhere down the line. my demands are clear. We will produce drinks once my floor has been correctly built. Get those furnitures out of here, and install a granite floor this instant!

Yes. I know how to rule like a boss. Autocracy and booze depravation. Look at all those lazy commoners getting off their lazy ass to get my floor in place.

Good job, everyone! Turns out i lied, tho. We are not getting drinks until all the floor is done. We have such a great spree here, why stop? I want all those beds removed, and tables, and whatnot, and we'll make this place nice and cozy. You, stop sleeping on the floor. Use the beds i just deconstructed, once they are rebuilt, once you are done sleeping. If you guys have any complaints, just adress them to the mayor office, which is really just a table, which was also deconstructed.

This tower complex is a mess, even with flooring. first, we'll need windows, so we can stare blazingly into the blinding arid sands of the desert. Second, there are some dorms above my own room, accessed through my wardrobe. Those of you whop paid attention will know that one of my key principles is that stuff does not use my bedroom as a navigation hallway. So let's shuffle a bit. The mayor has a room at the entrance, and everyone has to go through it to get to their room too. That must go. We have basically 9 rooms, made of 3 floors.

1st floor, left: my office. Why do I need an office? For princess stuff. You don't know, you're no princess.
2nd floor, left: my bedroom, a great place to rest and store Lord Asmoth's compromising letters about political shady plots.
3rd floor: servants dormitories. currently accessed from my bedroom (No.) but will be reached by the middle staircase. This is where I'll house the broker, manager, and bookkeeper. did you think Gnott QT was gonna hold to all titles? No he isn't. More nobles, all day, everyday.

1st floor, middle: Communal room, with dinning tables.
2nd floor, middle: Previously McKiwi's bedroom, but I'm making it the mayor's office.

1st floor, right: Currently a dorm, I'm making it the office room. Bookkeeper, manager and broker will work together.
2nd floor, right: This becomes the mayor's suite. It won't connect to the fucking dinning hall anymore, but instead be reached from his office.

3rd floor, middle and right: currently an empty big room, but this is where the dormitories will be for everyone else who isn't awesome enough to get a room.

Before long, the elves are here. Maybe they have booze? Gnott QT is complaining about his office not being ready yet, and refuses to trade. Thankfully, our beloved Ghills is an expert appraiser, and earns the title of broker. congratulation! now grab some crap and get us the wine we need. I also name Urist McDuck as our new bookkeeper. Both of them get a neat desk in the office room, alongside the military commander, Urist McKiwi. well, that wont get confusing at all.

Somewhere down in some shadowy caverns, Atir has given birth to a girl. Uggh, peasants. i try to keepo my distance from them as much as possible, but apparently we don't even have doors. I'm sorry what? No. Make doors. Make them now. Before any of said door can be produced, a brewer gives birth under a camel. People, please.

I return to the trade depot, and learn that the elves have brought no drinks whatsoever. really,n ow6 you show up at a dwarven outpost in the middle of the desert, and there's not an ounce of alcohol in your wagons? Uggh, at least we'll take all your fruits. And this giant tiger for myself. Such a pretty and mighty beast is fit to be my personal pet. just as the trade is about to conclude, Ghills the broker accidentally marks a barrel of blood for trading, angrying the elves, who leave immediately. I am disapointed, Ghills. for this I condemn you to the ugliest of the three desks in the desk room.

We have a very serious issue. And I'm not even talking about those two floor stops that people won't finish. No, the problem is much more dire: we are out of drinks. It's been a month and a half since i took over, and already things are falling apart. I managed to create a second still, and brew some of our fruits. good news, the booze problems is now a food shortage! To make things worse, migrants have arrived, no doubt attracted by my elitist design philosohpy. Most of them are unskilled or next to useless. 18 mouths to feed, that we certainly do not need.

The only way to survive is to scavenge the desert. We have 30 idlers. I'm ordering a few to mine some of the designated rooms for what I assume is the next phase of operation PIMPSTACK. The rest are now herbalists. This is really just an excuse to get people out of the tower so Ghills can finish the flooring uninterrupted.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:30:20 am by Taupe »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14